What OLED does well the vast majority of consumers dont give sh!t about. That does not bode well for a new technology looking for a large enough market share to become viable.

With 4k LED LCD's at much larger sizes than OLED models becoming available at much lower prices, I dont see how OLED has much of a chance.

Edited by Owen

What OLED does well the vast majority of consumers dont give sh!t about. That does not bode well for a new technology looking for a large enough market share to become viable.

With 4k LED LCD's at much larger sizes than OLED models becoming avaibale at much lower prices, I dont see how OLED has much of a chance.

Sadly this is so true. But I hope it gets of the ground and becomes competitively priced. I can see a future in it for large screens replacing forward firing projectors. Just imagine the contrast ...mmmmmmm

Edited by MRCRIST

There's also been a big set-back for OLED with Panasonic & Sony announcing their joint venture on OLED has come to an end. Both companies are going off to focus on 4K LCD for 2014. This will certainly see the introduction of OLED slowed right down and prices remaining high for the foreseeable future. (Panasonic must realise the are way behind the 8 ball on 4K if their latest 4K offering is anything to go by. Not even in the same league as Samsung, LG and Sony). OLED being common place and competitively priced is still long way off.

If the OLED manufactures want to set them apart from LCD's they don't need to resort to stupid gimmicks like curved screens!

They just need to market them properly eg highlight the benefits over LCD: Brilliant colours, Real blacks, blur free sports action, very low power consumption etc etc.

LCD's and Plasma's display the full colour gamut of HD video perfectly, more "Brilliant" colour is a defect not an asset.

Real blacks are only noticeably better in dark scenes when displayed in a dark environment, a combination that is rarely occurs for most people.

Motion in fast moving sport will always be blurred due to the low shutter speeds that are used to capture it.

Real blacks are only noticeably better in dark scenes when displayed in a dark environment, a combination that is rarely occurs for most people.

Which is why LCD's are more popular than Plasma panels and why OLED will become the panel of choice for people who prefer a light controlled environment as they have true blacks.

JSmith :ninja:

LCD's and Plasma's display the full colour gamut of HD video perfectly, more "Brilliant" colour is a defect not an asset.

Motion in fast moving sport will always be blurred due to the low shutter speeds that are used to capture it.

maybe I should have said "more accurate colour"? As we all know black levels and grayscale tracking influence colour accuracy.

Which is why LCD's are more popular than Plasma panels and why OLED will become the panel of choice for people who prefer a light controlled environment as they have true blacks.

LCD purchasers are unlikely to see any significant advantage in OLED, especially at a very high price premium.

The people who prefer a light controlled environment are the same people who typically buy Plasma TV's. Since that market segment is small and apparently shrinking how is OLED going to get established, let alone be profitable?

I'm exactly the sort of consumer who would be interested in OLED, however like most people I dont view normal TV in the dark. For most people dark room viewing is strictly for viewing movies and a 55" TV just does not cut it for that duty. Unless OLED is available in 100" plus its pointless as far as I am concerned.

100" plus LCD's will be available this year, and as much as I dislike LCD I'll take a 100" plus 4k LCD over any 55" OLED, no mater how perfect its blacks.

maybe I should have said "more accurate colour"? As we all know black levels and grayscale tracking influence colour accuracy.

More accurate color does not sell TV's, never has. All manufacturers could provide very accurate colour out of the box at no extra cost if they wanted to, but the vast majority of consumers simply dont want it as evidenced by what they buy.

Put an accurately calibrated TV on display in a showroom full of over bright, over colorful TV's and it wont sell well.

High end Plasma TV's can be calibrated for effectively perfect accuracy. The limiting factor is now the accuracy of the calibration equipment and skill of the calibrator, not the display, so OLED cant provide any useful improvement in that area.

For some OLED good news... Price drop $4000, according to Gizmodo.

Keywords for me is "an increase in manufacturing capacity"... 4K OLEDs will displayed @ CES I think. Meaning these screen will probably drop another $4k before the end of the month? :ninja: :heart: :heart:

The limiting factor is now the accuracy of the calibration equipment and skill of the calibrator, not the display, so OLED cant provide any useful improvement in that area.

At the moment no, but when wider colour gamut's become standard then we will see... ;)

LCD purchasers are unlikely to see any significant advantage in OLED, especially at a very high price premium.

I agree and never said they would...

The people who prefer a light controlled environment are the same people who typically buy Plasma TV's. Since that market segment is small and apparently shrinking how is OLED going to get established, let alone be profitable?

It will appeal to that market to become established, then once production costs go down to cheaper than LCD they will eventually replace LCD... this will take quite some time. Until then LCD will be the standard screen and OLED will be the high-end screen, simple. I think there is a large market for high-end panels at a reasonable price. :)

It will appeal to that market to become established, then once production costs go down to cheaper than LCD they will eventually replace LCD... this will take quite some time. Until then LCD will be the standard screen and OLED will be the high-end screen, simple. I think there is a large market for high-end panels at a reasonable price. :)

If they want to sell OLED as a high end product they had better come up with some big 4k panels at competitive prices soon, or they will be left behind by a flood of massive 4k LCD's.

With such small sales volumes and high production costs it will be interesting to see how much money Samsung and LG are prepared to throw at OLED to keep it alive. Sooner or later the shareholders will get restless if OLED is not profitable. Sony and Panasonic obviously don't see OLED as a profitable venture at the moment, and with current OLED sales estimates out to 2017 down 75% on original projections its no wonder why.

OLED could easily follow Plasma into obscurity before it even gets going. Its not the first time new and promising display technology has died on the vine and likely wont be the last.

I hope OLED is as good as promised and becomes widely available in large sizes and at reasonable prices, however I'm now more sceptical then ever that will happen any time soon, if ever.

Edited by Owen

If they want to sell OLED as a high end product they had better come up with some big 4k panels at competitive prices soon, or they will be left behind by a flood of massive 4k LCD's.

One out of two so far Owen ; seems a larger screen size gives them permission to curve the screen <_< too bad if your sitting off axis .. score one for the marketers over the engineers :blink:

A lot of early adopters @ avs want flat screens ; this tech needs the traction of early adopters to help drive prices down ..

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1509911/lg-77-uhd-oled-at-ces-star-of-the-show#post_24163459

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1509911/lg-77-uhd-oled-at-ces-star-of-the-show/30#post_24168112

They curved the 55" for F sake, totally ridiculous and a deal breaker for a lot of people, including me. Hell, I wouldn't want a curve on a screen less than 155".

The larger models that LG announced at CES today also seem to be all curved so it looks like LG is a non started this year.

The marketing people who though a curved screen would attract buyers should be sacked, and so should the management that signed it off.

If Samsung dont come out with flat models it could seal the fate of OLED.

P.S. I,m sure there will be a lot of takers for the 77" LG at about $30k, especially when their 84" 4K LCD (which is flat) sells for about a quarter of that.

Edited by Owen

http://gizmodo.com/lgs-giant-curved-4k-oled-tvs-will-explode-your-mind-1492217684

"LG has just unwrapped its super-premium lineup of 4K OLEDs ahead of next week's CES in Las Vegas.

LG will be offering OLED sets, which all feature 4K resolution (3840 x 2160 pixels), in three sizes and two curvatures. The smallest class of 55-inch sets will be available as either conventional flat panel or curved displays, as will the larger 65-inch class. The flagship 77-inch model, the 77EC9800, will only be available with a curved screen however.

They'll also all come equipped with HDMI 2.0 ports and decoding support for both H.264 and H.265 formats at both 30 and 60 FPS."

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2013/09/samsungs-curved-4k-oled-is-everything-you-want-in-a-tv/

"Remember when we said a few days ago that Samsung would be working on a Ultra-High Definition/4K OLED TV for super-sharp, super-colourful images? Turns out that it was a surprise addition to its IFA stand!"

Pretty sure I read something about an lg galleria series that is flat and shown in photos alongside the curved ultra tv. Just looked for it but can't find where I read it now so will keep an eye out.

Aze

Totally agree, curved screens under 150" is simply stupid!!

hmm my first projection screen a Sony CRT err.... that had a slide out glass reflector onto a curved screen still cannot remember its name might try to Google it tonight :logik: anyhow the comments was way back then "Like being at the cinema" because of the curve screen :hmm:

cheers laurie

Other than a big curved 4K not for sale concept TV Samsung dont seem to have announced ANY new OLED models at CES, the line up is all edge lit LCD, with and without curves. That leaves LG as the ONLY manufacturer to announce any new OLED TV's that may actually go on sale this year. The 77" is around $30k, while the 105" will almost certainly be a built to order model at about $150k. That leaves the existing 55" as the ONLY consumer model.

Judging by this, the outlook for OLED in 2014 is not looking good at all.

Edited by Owen

Other than a big curved 4K not for sale concept TV Samsung dont seem to have announced ANY new OLED models at CES, the line up is all edge lit LCD, with and without curves. That leaves LG as the ONLY manufacturer to announce any new OLED TV's that may actually go on sale this year. The 77" is around $30k, while the 105" will almost certainly be a built to order model at about $150k. That leave the existing 55" as the ONLY consumer model.

Judging by this, the outlook for OLED in 2014 is not looking good at all.

I noticed you changed tack these couple days from saying OLED wouldn't possibly look good, to OLED wouldn't possibly be financially viable.

Can I read between the lines and infer you have actually seen the LG OLED in action with your own eyes?? If yes how do you find it? (other than the brightness can blind ones' eyes). Am interested to hear your comments on this tech.

No I have not seen one, nor have I looked. I have also NEVER said OLED would not look good.

I have however always been sceptically that a first gen OLED would be as good as the hype suggested, or a viable replacement for Plasma. So fare its not.