I'm stuck on ADSL1 and no NBN roll out scheduled until who knows when.

Half the nation would have FTTP by now if the libs hadn't flat lined the rollout for 2 years while bending over and getting buggered for Telstra's obsolete copper. :(

I'm stuck on ADSL1 and no NBN roll out scheduled until who knows when.

Same. Last check I peaked at 5mbps

Average 2.3-3.4

Netflix didn't like my speed when I clicked on 4K download

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, jutta said:

Average 2.3-3.4

Mine is steady at 2.7 Mbps.  No good for HD Netflix ... you need at least 5 Mbps.  So that is why BD's are still king for me in terms of PQ.

Even if you has a 10 Gbps connection 1080 Blurauy would still be king IMHO, much better quality video and audio as well as VASTLY greater choice of movies.

I have been a Netfix subscriber since the first week in Oz, tried watching a couple of movies on the projector when I first subscribed but gave that up as a bad joke. Haven't watch any movies on Neflix since and wont.

On 1/14/2017 at 0:19 PM, jutta said:

Average 2.3-3.4

I have  cable internet generally get around 34- 38Mbps.  I think when the NBN roll out in my area,  Telstra will just let me top it up to 100Mbps,  they are now charging $20 more for 100Mbps service.

you are lucky.

I made a mistake and went satelite It's ok  WHEN it works

Mine went off on December 23rd and only a call to the TCO got me anything done.It's supposed to be a problem with the satelite not talking to the ISP. and I have been given a address to use on a temporary basis. . Its very slow and it has just taken 7 hrs to download Libre Office. So much for high speed

JB 

On ‎14‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 9:50 AM, MrC said:

Well you are fortunate to have FTTP .... how much did that cost to install?  I have to wait till mid 2018 for FTTN !!

NBN portion of the install is no cost.  Most RSPs charge a fee to install but many allow you to do a self install (which I opted for).

As I understand it FTTP can only be done AFTER FTTN runs past your house.  This is what the NBN website says and then you have to make an application for FTTP.  This apparently can cost $1000's to do ... so I am led to believe ?!?!

As I understand it FTTP can only be done AFTER FTTN runs past your house.  This is what the NBN website says and then you have to make an application for FTTP.  This apparently can cost $1000's to do ... so I am led to believe ?!?!

It's b.s., They can't do it from the node, they only provision 2 pairs of fibre per node back to the AAS / POI.

That's why there are only 3 ppl who've paid for fibre extensions via the "technology choice " program. They literally have to run fibre from your house all the way back to the POI. It's a very bad joke.

MtM should be renamed AFB, Anything But Fibre.

So I am not sure I understand it ... what you are saying is that what is on the NBN website is not correct.

So how do you suppose I receive FTTP in Stirling Perth WA when they tell me that FTTN is what will be rolled out for my suburb in late 2018 ?!?

So I am not sure I understand it ... what you are saying is that what is on the NBN website is not correct.
So how do you suppose I receive FTTP in Stirling Perth WA when they tell me that FTTN is what will be rolled out for my suburb in late 2018 ?!?

Technology choice is an expensive mirage, if you are getting FTTN in your address and you are willing to pay to upgrade to FTTP, you will have to shell out literally thousands (at least $10k).

Here's some info:

https://www.google.com.au/amp/www.zdnet.com/google-amp/article/nbn-tech-choice-program-delivers-just-three-fttp-connections-in-a-year/?client=safari

The problem is two fold,

1/ the economies of scale you get from a suburb wide FTTP rollout are not there.

2/ it's active optical fibre, not the cheaper GPON fibre technology NBN was rolling out previously and that some makes it much more expensive.

So how did you manage to get FTTP ?

I don't, I've got ADSL2.

Those who do have FTTP are either bloody lucky to have got their area done before the plans were binned by the libs or they live in a new estate.

22 minutes ago, blairy1503559527 said:

NBN portion of the install is no cost.  Most RSPs charge a fee to install but many allow you to do a self install (which I opted for).

How did you manage to get FTTP ?

2 minutes ago, MrC said:

Sorry I should direct that to Blairy ....

I live in Cranebrook NSW.  Our suburb and plenty of those nearby was the last FTTP contract signed off by Stephen Conroy.  I think it was meant to be deployed in about 2010 and we finally got it last year.

I live in Cranebrook NSW.  Our suburb and plenty of those nearby was the last FTTP contract signed off by Stephen Conroy.  I think it was meant to be deployed in about 2010 and we finally got it last year.

Bloody lucky mate!

I'm not getting anything till 2019 at the earliest as I'm in an Optus HFC exclusive area, although we don't have HFC because our in fill estate is all underground power and PSTN so Optus bypassed us.

The only upside is we'll prolly get FTTdp so the node will be a tiny 4 port job plugged into a GPON multi-port in the pit outside my house. Getting FTTP from this will be as simple as paying for the fibre lead-in.

33 minutes ago, MrC said:

How did you manage to get FTTP ?

If you buy me a 65" 4K UHD OLED, I'll get ya FTTP... ;) :lol:

I think it may be quite some time before one can stream high bitrate 4K to ones OLED telly, what with the way this "roll-out" is going. Disc will be king for some time in AUS if one is after best PQ.

There have been some good prices in sales recently on OLED panels. Let's hope they continue to get better, price wise. :)

JSmith :ninja: