Great... watch once or possibly three times, then the file is unusable.

I'd rather be able to retain my purchase for later viewing without having to crack the file.

JSmith :ninja:

Its not a purchase its a rental. Media companies dont want you to "own" a title and be able to do whatever you want with it, like it or not. They would much rather have ongoing control of their assets and the pay per view model best serves their interests.

Unfortunately for them I dont see how they will ever be able to eliminate piracy, where there is a will there is a way. Even if the media cant be copied directly the raw HDMI data stream sent to the display can be.

If the pay per view service is cheap enough most people will just use it and not jump through hoops to rip stuff off. Even at the prices charged by video stores rental works out far cheaper overall than buying disks as most tiles are not worth viewing more than once or twice.

Edited by Owen

Its not a purchase its a rental. Media companies dont want you to "own" a title and be able to do whatever you want with it, like it or not. They would much rather have ongoing control of their assets and the pay per view model best serves their interests.

Whilst I do know what you mean... how's it a rental? I've purchased the film, thus I own a copy... would love to test that one in court.

Unfortunately for them I don't see how they will ever be able to eliminate piracy, where there is a will there is a way. Even if the media cant be copied directly the raw HDMI data stream sent to the display can be.

No they won't eliminate piracy... they'll just continue to make it hard for the honest consumer to view their media.

...most tiles are not worth viewing more than once or twice.

IYO... alot of people want to keep what they purchased and watch it again potentially years later. Why should I have to remember or retain a database of every movie I like and want to watch again?

Whilst I agree online systems will start to take over, there will also always be a market for hard copy media, particularly with collectors.

$10K is perfectelly reasonable for a good 90" plus panel, but even $5K for a 55" TV is a bad joke these days.

You have a irrational sense of monetary value :P... $5k for a 55" TV coming from a factory with equipment that is paid for over the years, vs $10k from a factory with new equipment, new technology & new investments.

Amortisation - it happens.

$10k is peanuts these days (half the price of a budget car, or even a full price for a budget car!,)... A simple hospital bill will easily top $10k....

What is a bad joke is people kept praising/dissing vapour prodcuts :( :(

• 1 month later...

'The Consumer Electronics Show (CES) saw both Samsung and LG show off their curved screens. At the time, LG stressed to CNET Australia that it was early days for the curved OLED, and that it was unlikely to be on sale within 2013. However, Thomas Lee, LG's vice president of Home Entertainment, has told the site TrustedReviews that "curved TVs are coming in the second half of this year".'

http://www.cnet.com....r-339344028.htm

'Speaking to Trusted Reviews at the recent Seocho R&D campus in Seoul, South Korea, LG’s Team Manager of the Home Electronics Product Communication Hung Shin revelaed that the first curved TVs are likely to be on the market soon.'

http://www.hdtvtest....01304182903.htm

Singing the praises of the potential of curved TVs, Kyung-Jin Kang, a lead engineer of LG’s Home Electronics range said, “When people view the curved TV they will be able to enjoy a wider angle.”

Read more at http://www.trustedre...lLqURAXaUH8e.99

:question: :question: viewing angle is what they think ;

http://www.theverge....-curved-oled-tv

Edited by cwt

On a 55" screen thats crazy.

You cant sit close enough to a 2K res screen (large enough viewing angle) to need it curved without it looking like crap, doubt that size isnt close to big enough.

When they want to provide a 150" plus screen they can worry about curving it.

Edited by Owen

The problem with curving a screen is that it develops a sweet spot particularly for an LCD screen. Anyone sitting off centre is likely to notice colour abberations and some horizontal image distortion (barreling) depending on their seating offset and the curvature of the screen.

It certainly works for large projection screens but for small screens using LCD .....no, Plasma though with its very wide angle of view.....possibly, but size is the dominating factor here along with a wide dispersion angle from the screen's pixels.

You can get an illusion of depth with a curved screen provided it is large enough and presents deep blacks.

The OLED screen may have a very wide viewing angle but 'barreling' of the image is possible though.

It's just a marketing ploy to differentiate the OLED screens from the rest of the competition and to justify their high cost.

C.M

Edited by Tweet

The only time I have seen a curved screen was in IMAX theatre and it was huge. Looks like on the domestic scene it will be another fad that does not take off.

Sounds like it would be something that distorts ;analogous to keystone adjustment for a projector ; something to avoid :nuke:

• 4 months later...

Following on with this thread, it appears the curved OLED's will be the OLED flavour for now... as many of us have said the curve is pointless to viewing, although I wonder if it provides greater strength to the panel and thus higher production yeilds than the flat OLED panels.

http://www.digitaltr...th-curved-oled/

Either way it should help Samsung and LG offload the expensive early adopter models to the cashed up looking for the next "cool" and slightly different panel.

It also seems Samsung using the RGB OLED tech. has doubled the size of the blue OLED to counter the fact that it doesn't last as long as the other colours.

All that said, there are now some professional reviews on the Samsung and LG models and it seems that OLED is the holy grail of TV's. Although not perfect, it appears some members fears of the tech. have not been realised... which is good, right? :)

Samsung OLED TV: Best picture we've ever seen

"Better than plasma? Yes.

I didn't have to imagine how much better the OLED looked than a plasma, because at my request Samsung's reps wheeled in a PN60F8500 for a side-by-side comparison. It wasn't really fair, but it was still very instructive. In a completely dark room the OLED's rendition of black made that of the 8500 -- one of the best on the market -- seem like a dark grayish wash even when I equalized the TVs' light output. That said, the plasma kept up very well."

"With my normal method of measuring 0% black, which blackens the entire screen aside from a 5% stripe to make sure the screen remains active, the KN55S9C measured 0.00004 fL, the lowest (best) I've ever recorded. I have no trouble believing that the only reason it's not zero is because of light leakage from either the stripe or somewhere else in the room."

http://www.digitaltr...kn55s9c-review/

"Oh, let’s just cut to the point, shall we?

This is the best-looking TV we’ve ever seen. Ever."

Here is a review of the LG;

http://www.digitaltr...5ea9800-review/

... it seems they're having some problems with lazy pixels and motion resolution. The Samsung has no such reports and records full motion resolution without the soap opera effect.

"It would seem LG still has a couple of bugs to iron out, but we kind of expect that from first-generation technology. Even so, this TV looks fantastic, and it shows that OLED appears to be in a great position to deliver the picture quality of today’s best plasmas in an ultra-thin frame similar to LED televisions."

http://hdguru.com/lg...-hdtv-reviewed/

"The combination of infinite contrast, bright highlights and accurate color made the image to appear jaw-dropping amazing, easily some of the most gorgeous video displayed we’ve ever seen."

A comparison of the Samsung vs LG.

http://www.digitaltr...-tv-comparison/

It seems LG are bringing out a bigger one too...

LG’s insane 77-inch Ultra HD curved OLED leaves no box unchecked

All in all (apart from the "curve") it appears OLED is well under way and on the road to become the best performing display tech. so far.

We all know OLED should have close to perfect blacks, but there is a lot more to a good image than that.

I'll believe OLED is all its cracked up to be when I see one under controlled conditions and not before.

It's also yet to be seen if OLED can gain significant market share, given that LCD will offer 4K for much less then the price of 2K OLED, and in bigger sizes.

Good blacks dont count for zip in the market, never have, and there doesn't seem much else going for OLED at the moment.

Being not as bright as LCD is going to be a big disadvantage in the showroom war. Doesn't seem like a successful mass market product to me, but time will tell.

We all know OLED should have close to perfect blacks, but there is a lot more to a good image than that.

I'll believe OLED is all its cracked up to be when I see one under controlled conditions and not before.

Ah ok, so it's only good if you've seen one...? :wacko:

Did you read the test results and reviews? There is alot more discussed than simply blacks... :lol:

Being not as bright as LCD is going to be a big disadvantage in the showroom war.

... and this matters to the PQ discussion how?

... and this matters to the PQ discussion how?
Well I guess there's not much point in discussing PQ if you can't buy the TV to watch it. :) The Kuros apparently had fantastic picture (and a much cheaper price tag) and they got phased out of existence.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Well I guess there's not much point in discussing PQ if you can't buy the TV to watch it. :) The Kuros apparently had fantastic picture (and a much cheaper price tag) and they got phased out of existence.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

+1

What Owen stated about "Showroom" popularity is very valid. The production of anything is driven by supply and demand. LED is most popular because it bedazzles the consumer with its' fake " lollipop" colours and brightness under showroom conditions. PQ alone will not keep any product in production if demand is too low. Price is a big factor. I am not doubting that OLED will be stunning to say the least but its' existence will be governed by market forces.

Edited by MRCRIST

You seem very defensive/aggressive today jsmith? :huh: Owen stated his personal criteria ("I'll believe") for assessing PQ, he's not basing it on other's say so. You seemed to feel he wasn't entitled to this approach?

I merely responded to your question, with a reason why mentioning a PQ aspect (brightness) and its possible impact on sales might be relevant to a discussion. Yes it was my opinion, but you seem to think I'm censoring you?

As far as I can see, this is a general thread about all things Oled, you seem to be insisting that comments must be restricted to PQ. As you said, there's a lot more than just blacks discussed in these reviews.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

You seem very defensive/aggressive today jsmith? :huh:

Sorry mate, I think Owen got up me nose... :P

You seemed to feel he wasn't entitled to this approach?

Entitled, however I disagree with it... based on many previous discussions with Owen, and his posting of such test results. It's a very "head in the sand" approach, akin to saying "I don't believe you until I see it"... something that reminds me of a school playground.

As far as I can see, this is a general thread about all things Oled, you seem to be insisting that comments must be restricted to PQ.

It is, however my recent post was directed at the PQ of OLED, as a number of people previously said they did not think OLED would perform in the way it does. It appears they were wrong... :)

:P
Well said. I'm probably being a bit stuffy anyway - Owen's plenty capable of articulating his own point of view (right or wrong) :)

FWIW I'm glad OLED appears to be living up to its promise. If there haven't been any major flaws exposed yet then I think its a fair bet that its the next link in the home theatre food chain. The only question in my mind is will it make the leap to becoming a desirable middle class possession or will it remain a notch above most people's price point?

Regards

Peter Gillespie