But doesn't the screen completely disappear at 90 degrees? Or do we not start at centre?

Yep, at 90 degrees of axis the picture is completely side on and cant be seen, so 45 degrees plus off axis is unwatchable as far as I am concerned.

I'm not going to start a war (like on AVS!) but everyone, I thought, was hoping that vertical band was a one off and only on the largest OLED being reviewed?

I'm assuming the vertical stripe in the middle of the screen noted on the 77" OLED preview was a defect, no way can that be normal.

For a TV that price I would lose my sh*t to see a problem like that.

Edited by Adam-JM

Well, you know what I think about Samsung (having a plasma panel needing to be replaced after a year) so they will all have their problems, the Samsung C7000 on a grand scale according to posts here. There were heaps and heaps of us.

Reliability problems are very different to design flaws that affect the display from day one. If it brakes down it can be fixed, cant fix a design problem.

I'm not going to start a war (like on AVS!) but everyone, I thought, was hoping that vertical band was a one off and only on the largest OLED being reviewed?

Its on the 65" 4K model as well.

I thought the reviewers were hoping the 3rd year models would address the colour management problems (or am I wrong to assume these reviews were on the late arriving 2nd year models?)

The 4K models that are just becoming available in the US are third generation, first and second where 1080 only. We may see 4th gen sets latter this year, hopefully with less problems.

And look out: "controversy", according the posters on AVS, video noise was different according to the content played, which most spectators (not reviewers) didn't notice or mention.

The "spectators" didn't spend 3 days with the set. An owner would have plenty of time to pick up on defects.

Many issues are only visible with certain content, and in some cases only in certain scenes of certain content, but when you are spending about $10K AUD for a 65" or a crazy $33K AUD for a 75" do you really want ANY issues?

I'm assuming the vertical stripe in the middle of the screen noted on the 77" OLED preview was a defect, no way can that be normal.

For a TV that price I would lose my sh*t to see a problem like that.

Its not a one off problem, the 65" has it to.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/1931561-technical-evaluation-lg-65ec9700-4k-oled.html

"With 10% full gray fields, the last 3-4” near each side were noticeably darker than the rest of the screen. The problem diminished or disappeared with brighter fields, though there was then an odd vertical strip about an inch wide just right of center. Neither problem brought attention to itself with normal content, though some applications will make them more apparent."

Edited by Owen

What gets me is that Samsung can put a fully functional colour management system that works in a 40" 6 series LCD that sells for less than $700, but LG cant manage it in a $33K top of the line OLED. Maybe there is more to it than has been assumed so far. It may well be that OLED panels are very difficult to drive well and they are doing all they currently can.

Edited by Owen

Well, you know what I think about Samsung (having a plasma panel needing to be replaced after a year) so they will all have their problems, the Samsung C7000 on a grand scale according to posts here. There were heaps and heaps of us.

Reliability problems are very different to design flaws that affect the display from day one. If it brakes down it can be fixed, cant fix a design problem.

And look out: "controversy", according the posters on AVS, video noise was different according to the content played, which most spectators (not reviewers) didn't notice or mention.

The "spectators" didn't spend 3 days with the set. An owner would have plenty of time to pick up on defects.

Many issues are only visible with certain content, and in some cases only in certain scenes of certain content, but when you are spending about $10K AUD for a 65" or a crazy $33K AUD for a 75" do you really want ANY issues?

There were early reports on the C7000 that once fixed the problem returned months later, which is probably when the original issue started to show except no one knew to look for it. Once you've gone through it, you would notice it earlier. I waited thinking it was a design problem and they would make slightly different panels (fix the design fault). The new panel has slightly worse 3D and buzzes slightly more, so for all I know they did have a design problem which they fixed. I suspect it has a new board as well, but I don't know.

As for the OLED video noise, sure, I don't want any issues, though I'd have already considered myself to have lost my s**t if I actually bought the 77". But, it's the metric thing again. I don't like plasma dithering, it looks like noise to me so I don't sit close and my screen isn't 77". It's not likely to be as noticeable on the 65", or is there something written somewhere about that too?

What gets me is that Samsung can put a fully functional colour management system that works in a 40" 6 series LCD that sells for less than $700, but LG cant manage it in a $33K top of the line OLED. Maybe there is more to it than has been assumed so far. It may well be that OLED panels are very difficult to drive well and they are doing all they currently can.

Insane isn't it!

The fact that the issues can be corrected with an external video processor imo show the fault is wholly LG's incompetence.

Perhaps there is more to it, time will tell.

Are there any LG panels that have been known to have decent processing and adjustments?

As for the OLED video noise, sure, I don't want any issues, though I'd have already considered myself to have lost my s**t if I actually bought the 77". But, it's the metric thing again. I don't like plasma dithering, it looks like noise to me so I don't sit close and my screen isn't 77". It's not likely to be as noticeable on the 65", or is there something written somewhere about that too?

Whats the point of buying a 4K display and sitting so far back that you cant even see 1080. 4K is all about huge screens and sitting close where nose will be noticeable.

For 4K viewing the 77" should be considered the minimum size, any smaller is pissing into the wind.

None of the current 4K models sold in the US are likely to be sold here so we should wait and see how the models we will get perform.

Edited by Owen

Whats the point of buying a 4K display and sitting so far back that you cant even see 1080. 4K is all about huge screens and sitting close where nose will be noticeable.

For 4K viewing the 77" should be considered the minimum size, any smaller is pissing into the wind.

None of the current 4K models sold in the US are likely to be sold here so we should wait and see how the models we will get perform.

Totally agree

As a parting gift from Samsung, the replacement panel I got has 1 dead pixel. I sit almost 3 metres away from it and can see it about 60% of the time (it's black and only when something darkish or blueish is showing around it does it "disappear"). I do wear glasses, but the lady at the motor registry who tested my eyesight said I have better vision than almost anyone she had tested.

I agree a bigger TV is better, but I don't think I'll ever want or need to sit close.

(I could say, lucky they're not making any UHD plasmas then!)

EDIT: Oh, and over at AVS in that OLED thread the question was asked about 4K content downscaled to FHD being better quality than blu-ray. It's unrelated, but I thought I'd mention it. Well, actually it is related.

Edited by Guest

Are you seriously considering 4K TV less than 65"?

I sit 3m away and 65" is a joke for movie viewing. 70" is not much better, just too bloody small to have any sense of immersion.

Edited by Owen

On 65" plus panels a dim vertical 1" wide band down the middle of the screen, may be due to joining two smaller panels together.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/03/19/breaking_fad_oled_tv/

"LG’s latest M2 production facility now claims to produce 26,000 substrates a month, each of which can be used to create six 55-inch screens."

What does it mean? I've got no idea, maybe that the things can be cut, maybe that they don't need to be joined, sounded interesting though!

(EDIT: And I am likely to buy the cheap 49" OLED, just for use on the computer!)

Edited by Guest

(I think the larger screens would have larger OLED pixels.)

EDIT: 165000 * 55" screens a month though - that's got to fix the shortage problem!

Edited by Guest

I wasn't aware there was a supply problem, but there sure seems to be a demand problem in OZ.

Retailers seem totally disinterested in OLED and dont sell enough units to be worth keeping them in stock.

I agree about retailers, I guess I assumed a supply problem from the article: "A year ago, the brand was struggling to produce 8,000 per month."

Edited by Guest

I agree about retailers, I guess I assumed a supply problem from the article: "A year ago, the brand was struggling to produce 8,000 per month."

LG really needs to invest in educating the retailers or they'll just keep pushing inferior LCD panels onto unwitting consumers.

Panasonic needs to do the same when they release theirs.

Edited by dJOS

LG really needs to invest in educating the retailers or they'll just keep pushing inferior LCD panels onto unwitting consumers.

Panasonic needs to do the same when they release theirs.

A TV company educating the consumer when they wasted a couple of years trying to flog the absolute BS of 3D and jumped straight out of that frying pan into the curved screen fire.As far as i can see most of these ideas coming from the TV companies are of no benefit to the consumer and the things that have the potential to be will probably be ballsed up when they offer it to us.If a consumer is not able to educate themselves about what they are buying and goes solely on what the salesperson tells them then so be it.To all the players in the TV industry i say it's time to lift your game because what we have on offer right now is one god awful dogs breakfast.

...what we have on offer right now is one god awful dogs breakfast.

Whilst I appreciate your point, I reckon that's a bit OTT. :P

I suppose it depends on at what point in time you are comparing now to... if you look back 25 years for example, what we have now is nothing short of amazing.

JSmith :ninja:

A TV company educating the consumer when they wasted a couple of years trying to flog the absolute BS of 3D and jumped straight out of that frying pan into the curved screen fire.As far as i can see most of these ideas coming from the TV companies are of no benefit to the consumer and the things that have the potential to be will probably be ballsed up when they offer it to us.If a consumer is not able to educate themselves about what they are buying and goes solely on what the salesperson tells them then so be it.To all the players in the TV industry i say it's time to lift your game because what we have on offer right now is one god awful dogs breakfast.

Yes, but it keeps the ad department in buisness.

JB