On 05/01/2011 at 6:53 AM, trippyfoo said:

Awesomeness... looking fwd to that. . . instead of wall mounting our tv's. . we can just use blu tack to hold them in place..lol...https://8ballpool.onl/   https://discord.software/   https://omegle.onl/

TCL 65" PC65US  (right on $1000 is a sharp deal)

Picture = good value $ after calibration

CEC = buggy

Android TV = disappointing

Turn on time = slow (60 seconds) unless TV in standby/sleep

WOW wow WOW Panasonic announce at CES that there 2019 OLED's will be the first manufacture with support for both HDR10+ and Dolby Vision.Poor old Samsung are looking very much like a guy on an island with a best friend called Wilson.

• Haha 1

I think they are all going to eventually have to support both DV and HDR10+, if only because people are going to mightily pissed if they find that any particular 4K movie they might be watching is encoded in a format that their equipment doesn't support.

LG is the one that's going to be the odd one out, they have said that they aren't going to support either, they are going down the route of having their own software in the TV to supposedly do what DV/HDR10+ does on the fly.

How long their position stays like that one can only guess, I haven't seen anything from LG's CES 2019 appearance as yet.

Here's Vincent from HDTVtest reporting the Panasonic news from CES 2019..........Now all Panasonic needs to do is start selling TV's and disc players in the USA again.

Edited by Tweaky

28 minutes ago, Tweaky said:

I think they are all going to eventually have to support both DD and HDR10+, if only because people are going to mightily pissed if they find that any particular 4K movie they might be watching is encoded in a format that their equipment doesn't support.

LG is the one that's going to be the odd one out, they have said that they aren't going to support either, they are going down the route of having their own software in the TV to supposedly do what DD/HDR10+ does on the fly.

How long their position stays like that one can only guess, I haven't seen anything from LG's CES 2019 appearance as yet.

DD?

LG has supported Dolby Vision - one of the original supporters, in fact. 

Don't you mean Samsung which is fiercely in the HDR10+ camp (created by them to boot). 

19 minutes ago, Tweaky said:

I think they are all going to eventually have to support both DD and HDR10+, if only because people are going to mightily pissed if they find that any particular 4K movie they might be watching is encoded in a format that their equipment doesn't support.

LG is the one that's going to be the odd one out, they have said that they aren't going to support either, they are going down the route of having their own software in the TV to supposedly do what DD/HDR10+ does on the fly.

LG are most certainly not dumping Dolby Vision or Dolby Atmos any time soon as they were the first to support it.All there 2019 models have been announced with all but the cheapest "B" series getting an upgraded A9 processor and hdmi 2.1 which does 8k@60htz on the 88" Z9 model and 4K@120htz on the W9,E9&C9 models.

Yeah my bad, DV.

No I did mean LG, I'll try and find the video HDTVtest did that revealed LG's plans for it's own internal processing.

EDIT: I can't seem to find the proper video [I'll keep looking for it], but basically Vincent was saying that LG was intending to just  go with a advanced version of it's Active Adaptive HDR technology, rather than have the expense of licensing DV.

I think it was around the time LG OLED's had a DV bug that caused raised Black levels.

But it would seem if their 2019 TV's are having DV that stance has changed.

Edited by Tweaky

• 3 weeks later...

So RTINGS.com just gave the LG 65B8 the best 65" in Winter 2019 award....

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-size/65-inch

JBHIFI now have it on special for $2995, supposedly ~$1K off!

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/lg/lg-b8-65-4k-uhd-ai-smart-oled-tv/353475/

The prices on these are really starting to come down, Yeah! :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest thathifiguy
On 23/02/2019 at 8:43 PM, Musician said:

Bought a Sony OLED recently, wanted to know what you use to dust and wet clean the screen.

Pioneer Plasma's always included a cloth not unlike what you would get with a pair of glasses and suggested only using that.

I have stuck with that with my OLEDs without issue.

For our pioneer plasma always used wool/feather duster fit surface dust. Then micro fibre cloth soaked in warm water well wrung out. Followed by clean dry micro fibre cloth. Streak free, removes all smudges, finger prints, dust grime they tends to collect :)

On 04/02/2019 at 2:19 PM, Jack Vaughn said:

Panasonic OLED

I'm considering the Panasonic TH-55FZ950U.  Does anyone have experience of a Panasonic OLED UHD television.  Jack

Sorry no review as such, my mistake......I strongly suspect a review will be forth coming from the same YouTuber, just not ATM

Edited by Tweaky
  • Like 1

Interesting graphic where all 4 panels were pictured in front of a hdr10+ and dolby vision graphic at 5:34

Hopefully all will cover the variable metadata :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 04/02/2019 at 4:10 PM, Musician said:

Get the Sony A8F

Great TV.  I replaced my Pioneer 60" plasma (last gen) with an A8F 65".  I also have a Samsung quantum dot (bla bla bla) LCD TV and it's not in the same league.

• Like 1

I think for some HDR material, there's something to be said about a bright 1800 nits FALD Sony like my old ZD9. 

The new ZG9 looks even more phenomenal (4000 nits!!!) and HDTV test was almost drooling :D

Just got word from the Aus distributor - 25k for the 85" reviewed by HDTV test but this is for the Pro range. The consumer model may be cheaper?

22 hours ago, Wobba said:

Great TV.  I replaced my Pioneer 60" plasma (last gen) with an A8F 65".  I also have a Samsung quantum dot (bla bla bla) LCD TV and it's not in the same league.

Picture quality aside, how do you find the user interface and also how it handles streaming services? I was considering the 65" A8F but then I read a lacklustre review online.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/2/17970022/sony-a8f-tv-review-oled-hdr-specs-features-price

That's hardly a review.  Where's the IQ analysis.  Here's a proper review: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/a8f-oled

I own this TV as well as a Samsung LCD and while the interface is better on the Samsung, the IQ with the Sony OLED is MUCH better.

BTW, I mainly watch Foxtel and, occasionally, Youtube and the interface is fine for my needs.

On 08/06/2019 at 1:03 PM, Wobba said:

That's hardly a review.  Where's the IQ analysis.  Here's a proper review: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/a8f-oled

I know right. I can't stand reviews with no measurements. It's possible to have a $500 Bauhn sound better than a $5000 Oled if you read some fluff pieces posing as Reviews. 

I really appreciate Rtings having so many screens properly reviewed with all the information to compare TVs.