Not many people will highlight this in there OLED comparisons but the LG has the best operating system of any TV on the market and not by a small margin but a country mile.The PQ difference between them can be measured in minute fractions which is to say in a blind shootout of experts the Sony won TV of the year over the LG C8 only by a couple of points.It was literally that close.To me that makes the LG C8 at the cheapest price of all contenders,with the best interface and dolby vision a no brainer as best choice.

Edited by IviewHD
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, IviewHD said:

Not many people will highlight this in there OLED comparisons but the LG has the best operating system of any TV on the market and not by a small margin but a country mile.The PQ difference between them can be measured in minute fractions which is to say in a blind shootout of experts the Sony won TV of the year over the LG C8 only by a couple of points.It was literally that close.To me that makes the LG C8 at the cheapest price of all contenders,with the best interface and dolby vision a no brainer as best choice.

in the oleds,

LG only one supporting both hdr10+ and dolby vision too. 

sony only does dolby vision

panasonic only does hdr10+

• 3 weeks later...

7 hours ago, lordvader82 said:

Are things like hdr+ and dolby vision just software updates? So if a winner does emerge, there isn't an obsolete piece of tech in my lounge room?

Love my Panasonic, btw!

Pana have said in the past that their amenable to DV if it wins out ; in the meantime 

Until CES 2017, it was widely assumed that Dolby Vision hardware (screens and Ultra HD Blu-ray players) needed to carry a dedicated chip. However, it is now possible to add Dolby Vision support via a firmware update to devices with sufficiently powerful processors

Read the top of the line pana;s with HCX2 processors or better in the future 

Hello, I didn't realize that there is a burn-in weakness with OLED, but I find the Rtings.com information to be fairly concerning. Their latest review of an LG OLED was published last week and in the 'Cons' column they clearly list burn-in. They also seem to be conducting a long-term 'real-life' use of 6 LG OLED sets, with LG engineers involved, and, from what I see, it is definitely the case that owners should 'run them soft' in terms of brightness settings, to keep burn-in at bay.

It is all very well to say a TV is a moving image, but each channel has its logo in the same spot all day, and several of the morning programs run very bright rolling banners, where the frame and title is not rolling, but fixed.

real-burn-in-week-36-tv-3-magenta-large.

(c) Rtings.com

It has certainly made me think twice.

Regards

Grant

Pretty sure it's well known and I know Sony mention it and have a few features that try to stop it. Things like pixel shift and doing a screen rinse when it's been off for a while. It also asks you to do a screen refresh after every x amount of hours. They can also be done manually but they recommend not doing more than two a year I think.

If someone left it on CNN or any other 24x7 channel with watermarks like that on it all day they deserve burn in IMO.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lordvader82 said:
On ‎26‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 4:38 PM, cwt said:
Read the top of the line pana;s with HCX2 processors or better in the future 

Would that include the current fx crop?

Yes the current fx series have the same HCX processor as the top of the line pana oleds . Panasonic are happy with hdr10+ though unless DV wins out ; for one they don't pay license fees as its open source not to mention 20 cen fox being joined by Warner bros in support . 

The current attitude - 

What’s more, Samsung and new HDR10+ supporter Panasonic have both previously delivered presentations - with a startling amount of passion, at times! - demonstrating why they don’t believe there’s any need for what’s seen as a relatively production-based format such as Dolby Vision to dictate playback terms to their televisions. HDR10+ does the same thing as Dolby Vision to some extent, of course, but so far as I can tell, it leaves more decisions up to the individual processing systems of each TV and AV brand.

Edited by cwt

2 hours ago, Grant Slack said:

Hello, I didn't realize that there is a burn-in weakness with OLED, but I find the Rtings.com information to be fairly concerning. Their latest review of an LG OLED was published last week and in the 'Cons' column they clearly list burn-in. They also seem to be conducting a long-term 'real-life' use of 6 LG OLED sets, with LG engineers involved, and, from what I see, it is definitely the case that owners should 'run them soft' in terms of brightness settings, to keep burn-in at bay.

It is all very well to say a TV is a moving image, but each channel has its logo in the same spot all day, and several of the morning programs run very bright rolling banners, where the frame and title is not rolling, but fixed.

(c) Rtings.com

Regards

Grant

Only fools watch cnn,just ask Donald Trump.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 31/10/2018 at 4:04 PM, Grant Slack said:

(c) Rtings.com

Regards

Grant

Yep, it's been pretty widely reported and discussed.

The rtings test is an 'accelerated' real-world usage test. They do refresh cycles per manufacturer recommendations and the TV is turned off for several hours during each 24hr period.

Manufacturers say under "normal" usage, there is zero risk of burn in, however the number of posts I've read from seemingly real-world usage customers suggests that burn-in is a real risk.

Sure, it's still a low percentage of overall sets out in the wild, but a risk nonetheless. And it seems so far, that LG in particular do not come to the party when a warranty claim is raised.

• 1 month later...

After following this thread since inception back in 2011 (felt old when I realised how long this has been going for), I finally made the jump and bought a Sony A9F 65 inch today. 

Arrives Monday - to say I'm excited is an understatement :D

JB has a 20% off sale(and another 5% for signing up to newsletter) til midnight tonight to anyone who is interested. 

Will be selling my old Pioneer 508 to any of the retro lovers.

Edited by Shankman

1 hour ago, Shankman said:

After following this thread since inception back in 2011 (felt old when I realised how long this has been going for), I finally made the jump and bought a Sony A9F 65 inch today. 

JB has a 20% off sale(and another 5% for signing up to newsletter) til midnight tonight to anyone who is interested. 

What did it costing after discount.

2 hours ago, Shankman said:

Very Nice!!! Congratulations!

I have the Sony AE1 and love it. Yours should be better still.

Please report back on what you think of it.

9 hours ago, curious1 said:

I also picked up the 65A9F yesterday, was waiting for an ebay sale and was very surprised to get it sub 5K from JB.

Anyone know a good calibrator in Sydney?

I'm probably going to go with Avcal from Melbourne.

They do Sydney trips. Seem to be pretty well respected.

But I'm open to good Sydney suggestions as well?

Personally I would have gone for the LG C8 65" for under $4K but whatever floats your boat.The big question for me is why hasn't the price of the 77" LG C8 dropped by even a single dollar since the day it was released?To me it seems to be way over priced.It sells for $5400USD on Amazon US which is $7500Aud.Even if you add gst that only takes it up to $8250 so why can't you get one at JB for $8k Aud?