Ok so this is just over a 1 month update on owning a B6.

I'm still very happy with the picture in general, however a couple of things have me on the fence about calling LG support. The banding in dark scenes is still an issue & has not improved, even though it is almost impossible in most normal content to spot it. When you do see it, it's still annoying. Secondly I have just noticed that there is a white dot on the lower left part of the screen, like a pixel is stuck 'on'. This is visible even with the TV turned off.

I swear I must have the worst luck with screens, every time I've ever bought a new TV there has almost always been some problem with it that just drives me up the wall.

Edited by Adam-JM

1 hour ago, mello yello said:

stuck dead pixel ?

get a new one, no hesitation, call them tomorrow before your grace statutory runs out

i have no idea what banding is and by the sounds of it i dont want to know

Yeah, it's like a single tiny pinprick of light if I display a fully black screen. As for the banding, it pretty much appears as multiple vertical lines & some other artefacts on a dark grey screen, although I have seen it in real content on a few occasions.

As it stands I'm about 1 month +1 week into ownership. I called HN & they said I would need to ring LG direct for them to authorize a replacement, what a headache. This panel is so close to perfection, which makes these minor issues all the more frustrating. I bet most other people wouldn't even notice this stuff from a normal viewing distance, but for me it's hard to entirely ignore.

Edited by Adam-JM

that doesnt sound right, its not the first time i have heard them doing that, you bought it off them, not LG

where Sony have a zero dead pixel tolerance policy, a quick search on Google reveals LG have one of the more dinosaur policies ( that may be an old document but i think their policy would still be the same otherwise we would have seen full page newspaper ads and 20 minute cinema promotions saying how wonderful LGs zero pixel guarantee is )

https://www.google.com.au/#q=LG+OLED+pixel+policy

Kogan require 2 dead pixels for a replacement for example...

ok, nut it out with HN and tell them ONE dead pixel is unacceptable (as per Sony policy)  and offer to take it in and show them (it may be your only option because if they revert to the LG tech coming to your home, he may knock it back under their aforementioned "policy") ... then leave it to them to argue with LG, you shouldnt have to, all HN need is proof of failure

"see look...one dead stuck pixel on my multi-thousand dollar TV, not happy about that, not happy at all ... can you see it ? ... yes? ... look, ...here mate"

and just point to the pixel like it was a seized motor on a car you were driving out of the lot

...and good luck ;-)

Edited by mello yello

they add up the number of pixels ( hate to have that job) and allow so many for so many million, so another exploitation of 4K is that they can argue that it has twice the number of pixels so their manufacturing incompetence can be doubled

when every single pixel is individually lit like a christmas decoration, some of those suckers are bound to not work

Edited by mello yello

4 hours ago, mello yello said:

they add up the number of pixels ( hate to have that job) and allow so many for so many million, so another exploitation of 4K is that they can argue that it has twice the number of pixels so their manufacturing incompetence can be doubled

Says a lot about their "good screen yield"  out the factory they have to ramp up the bad pixels to get past quality control  mello :o Will Sony have a zero dead pixel policy when it starts using LG oled panels next year  ; cant wait to see the fine print :D

i have no idea what banding is and by the sounds of it i dont want to know

You sure ; it may well influence your uhd source buying habits :angel:

14 hours ago, Adam-JM said:

Ok so this is just over a 1 month update on owning a B6.

I'm still very happy with the picture in general, however a couple of things have me on the fence about calling LG support. The banding in dark scenes is still an issue & has not improved, even though it is almost impossible in most normal content to spot it. When you do see it, it's still annoying. Secondly I have just noticed that there is a white dot on the lower left part of the screen, like a pixel is stuck 'on'. This is visible even with the TV turned off.

I swear I must have the worst luck with screens, every time I've ever bought a new TV there has almost always been some problem with it that just drives me up the wall.

Geeeee the Hisense UHDTV that have in the meals room is pathetic on Banding. Anything Black and Blue its about 50 mm wide from the bottom of the screen till the top.

Very Surprised to hear this LG OLED to have this issue.

Geeeee the Hisense UHDTV that have in the meals room is pathetic on Banding. Anything Black and Blue its about 50 mm wide from the bottom of the screen till the top.

I've got a cheap soniq 55" LCD in the rumpus room that shows both clouding and banding, but then it cost me all of $500.

On 27/12/2016 at 11:58 AM, nadyn1503565113 said:

January 5-8, 2017 (Thursday-Sunday) Las Vegas...

cheers

so i see both good guys and HN now sell the E6( 55) for under 4 grand

i heard about some 20% off thing  is that gone and past or was that just a one off thing ? failing that guess il wait on ebay

its getting closer to the price tho

On ‎29‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 10:40 AM, Blackman1503561291 said:

All the current OLEDs apparently are prone to this banding issue, right up to the flagship G6. The 2015 models had it much worse from what I've heard.

9 hours ago, Adam-JM said:

All the current OLEDs apparently are prone to this banding issue

I don't even know what banding is but I've never noticed anything weird with the PQ on my OLED which is a 2015 model.

On 31/12/2016 at 2:03 AM, Adam-JM said:

All the current OLEDs apparently are prone to this banding issue, right up to the flagship G6. The 2015 models had it much worse from what I've heard.

The current gen OLED's have minor banding issues that can be clearly seen in graduation test patterns but most people would never notice it in real world content.The high end Samsung LCD's have slightly more banding with the same test patterns which pretty much means that even if you pay the highest end premium price for any tv today they still come with flaws that should make anyone question the high prices being asked.I would expect the 2017 OLED's to be a big step forward as far as work on the flaws so now is not the time to overpay for a TV.

Lookin' good; :)

http://www.whathifi.com/news/ces-2017-panasonic-unveils-flagship-ez1002-oled-tv

The EZ1002 is a 65in OLED flatscreen TV

The panel – a 4K ultra high-definition affair, naturally – is HDR-capable, and is claimed to output more than double the peak brightness of a ‘conventional’ OLED panel.

Furthermore, it’s able to output the full DCI colour space that’s a critical component of high dynamic range images.

...is driven by Panasonic’s Studio Colour HCX2 video processing – it draws on the company’s professional film-making and monitoring expertise and is claimed to be the most powerful video processing ever incorporated into a consumer TV.

The EZ1002 also attempts to bring a little of Panasonic’s pro know-how to the consumer, by not only including ISF (Imaging Science Foundation) calibration settings but allowing users to upload their own colour 3D look-up tables via USB or SD card (‘users’ in this instance should more correctly read ‘inveterate tweakers’). And Panasonic has applied for THX certification, ‘Ultra HD Premium’ certification from the Ultra HD Alliance and Crestron certification from, well, Crestron.

The EZ1002 goes on sale in Europe in June of this year, at a price yet to be confirmed.

JSmith :ninja: