21 hours ago, Adam-JM said:

After cancelling my order for the E6 last week, I absolutely could not pass up this price on the B6, especially since they apparently have near identical picture quality. That's a total steal especially with the $300 gift card. When I get it I'll post my thoughts & first impressions in here.

Sounds like a smart buy Adam. From The Age Review:

The G6 series is the flagship but there are actually eight new models to choose from. In terms of picture quality the only difference is that the G6 series offers 750 nits brightness, while the others put out 700 nits – a difference which you'd struggle to pick with the naked eye. The entry level B6 series is available in 55 or 65 inches ($4199/$6799), while the two C6 models are exactly the same but with curved screens and support for passive 3D.

Above these four models is the E6 range (55-inch $5699, 65-inch $8399) which offers the same screen but adds a glass bezel and a built-in 40-watt sound bar. Finally there's the top-of-the-line $9999 65-inch G6 which also features a 60-watt soundbar and built-in subwoofer in the back of the stand. Considering there's only 50 nits brightness difference between the G6 and the others, I'd say you'd get the best bang for your buck from the entry-level B6 – putting the savings towards a proper surround sound system. You miss out on passive 3D, but that's no great loss.

Who would pay $2000+ more for the E6 or more than twice as much for the G6? 

Also interesting to note that (unofficially) only 3% of LG TVs sold were curved last year.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

The other difference between the E6\G6\C6 vs B6, is that the B6 has the last gen SOC and the calibration settings on the B6 have less calibrations points.

"

Vs OLED55E6V

A question that will play on the minds of prospective LG B6 buyers is whether to fork out extra money for the more expensive E6 model: is there any actual difference in picture quality, putting aside the lack of 3D, integrated soundbar and “OLED-on-Glass” design?

Fundamentally, the LG OLED55B6 and OLED55E6 use different chipsets: the former carries one from Realtek (RTD2999); whereas the latter features LG’s own in-house solution, as you can see from the sets’ respective service menus:

LG B6 chipset LG E6 chipset
LG B6 service menu LG E6 service menu

Subjectively, the OLED55B6V’s calibration controls behaved more like a late 2015 EF950V/ EG960V, though it’s still possible to obtain a very accurate greyscale. That said, the B6V’s less refined [Brightness] slider meant that it’s easy to float/ crush blacks unless extreme care was taken during calibration.

"
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/oled55b6v-201611044381.htm

Edited by shankman

1 hour ago, Shankman said:

The other difference between the E6\G6\C6 vs B6, is that the B6 has the last gen SOC and the calibration settings on the B6 have less calibrations points.

The way I read this is models other than the B6 are for people that have zero interest in bang for buck. Manufacturers have identified this market segment and they will pay $1000's for small improvements to the final experience. Leaving aside how few TVs are ever calibrated (almost 1%?) next year people will be observing how the B7 only has this years SOC. Even though this years model provides very accurate grey scale and doesn't require extreme care during calibration to avoid crushed blacks. 

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Only a small minority of buyers will ever get there TV profesionally calibrated so for everyone who won't ever pay for calibration then the B6 is a no brainer.Any issues with HDR on the B6 with the PS4 will probably be fixed with a firmware update anyway so chill the **** out as HDR is a work in progress.

14 minutes ago, IviewHD said:

Only a small minority of buyers will ever get their TV professionally calibrated so for everyone who won't ever pay for calibration then the B6 is a no brainer.

Funnily enough, I suspect most of those that calibrate probably fall in the category of looking for bang for buck.

Regards

Peter Gillespie 

13 hours ago, IviewHD said:

Any issues with HDR on the B6 with the PS4 will probably be fixed with a firmware update anyway so chill the **** out as HDR is a work in progress.

I wouldn't assume that.

The guys over on the AV forums have been posting their responses from LG on this. There's been mostly vague non committal responses.

The interesting thing is LG have responded to some specifically saying that HDR for game mode will not be fixed in this years models.

I'll see if I can dig up one of the LG emails on the other forum. There's currently a petition for them to fix it.

EDIT : added email from AV forums

------

Good Afternoon Matteo, 

Thank you for getting in touch regarding the HDR game mode for your OLED TV. We have recently been informed by the development team that this update is no longer planned for the 2016 range of TVs, as it would be require a hardware update in order to function, and instead will be released on the 2017 range. 

If you have any further questions, please get back in touch. 

Kind regards, 

LG Electronics UK Help desk

-----
Edited by shankman

4 hours ago, Shankman said:

Thank you for getting in touch regarding the HDR game mode for your OLED TV. We have recently been informed by the development team that this update is no longer planned for the 2016 range of TVs, as it would be require a hardware update in order to function, and instead will be released on the 2017 range. 

-----

Hopefully most owners would then know they are entitled to a full refund (+ any ancillary costs like shipping, extended warranty, wall brackets etc.)

Statutory law easily covers it as a major flaw (classed as something that would have meant you wouldn't have purchased the item if you knew it was defective in this way). 

Of course if you don't have a play station then its probably of little issue.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

10 hours ago, Shankman said:

I wouldn't assume that.

The guys over on the AV forums have been posting their responses from LG on this. There's been mostly vague non committal responses.

The interesting thing is LG have responded to some specifically saying that HDR for game mode will not be fixed in this years models.

I'll see if I can dig up one of the LG emails on the other forum. There's currently a petition for them to fix it.

EDIT : added email from AV forums

------

Good Afternoon Matteo, 

If you have any further questions, please get back in touch. 

Kind regards, 

LG Electronics UK Help desk

-----

Everything to do with HDR is a dogs breakfast.What we have now is electronics companies using "HDR" as a selling tool to move merchandise in exactly the same way that "3D" was used years ago.No one knows where HDR is going or what version of HDR  might emerge as a sales winner.Buy whatever TV or game console you like and you take the risk that it might live like blu ray or die like betamax.

Just got my B6 delivered & set up today after I got home from work. First impressions here but holy hell it's a thing of beauty in person.

I've been messing with the picture settings & pretty happy with the results so far. Input lag is pretty much imperceptible to me, and I play ALOT of games. Did the time trial in Titanfall 2 with high scores no problem. I also tried out 4K HDR on PS4 Pro (Deus Ex) for about 5 minutes, might have to check out more of that later. It's certainly a much brighter display than my ST60 plasma, in a dark room it's almost eye searing if you don't rein in the settings. I'd love to post a photo from my phone but it says I'm restricted by file size.

Edited by Adam-JM

Ordered and paid for 65c6 Sunday before last.  After waiting  a week the Goofguys still couldn't give me a delivery date.  Opted to switch t B6 and forgo 3D.  TV delivered last Saturday.  As Adam-JM says it's a thing of beauty.

Tried a few UHD HDR discs; netflix UHD and Netflix dolby vision.  Even foxtel looks better, especially sport.

Of course I'm now thinking about  a calibration.  Any calibrator recommendations for outer western sydney; Penrith district?

7 hours ago, blairy1503559527 said:

Ordered and paid for 65c6 Sunday before last.  After waiting  a week the Goofguys still couldn't give me a delivery date.  Opted to switch t B6 and forgo 3D.  TV delivered last Saturday.  As Adam-JM says it's a thing of beauty.

I considered the C6 as well, but I'm not thrilled about curved screens. It's a cool novelty to see them in a shop, but I bet that would wear off fast once you got it home, especially if you sometimes sit off to the side, then it would just look weird I think.

Been putting my B6 through its paces more today, still blown away by the picture. The contrast is really something to behold when you have bright whites & colours right next to absolute black. One small thing I have noticed is that if you push the brightness past a certain point (for me 62) it creates weird uniformity issues, so I would avoid that. Also I have noticed some banding only when displaying very dark grey, apparently this is common with all current models of OLED, even Panasonic's one. Usually I'm super picky about this kind of stuff, but so far it hasn't really bothered me during actual content, not as much as the banding on my plasma did anyway. Otherwise the screen is absolutely perfect.

Edited by Adam-JM

Hilariously this morning the new TV was a topic of conversation amongst my wife, youngest son and I.  When I mentioned I'd originally ordered the curved screen my wife went ballistic.  She reckons they look they look like  a sun tanning machine not a TV :-)

On 11/22/2016 at 11:30 PM, Adam-JM said:

Titanfall 2 with high scores no problem. I also tried out 4K HDR on PS4 Pro (Deus Ex) for about 5 minutes, might have to check out more of that later.

Titanfall 2 + PS4Pro + B6 looks great huh!

Do you have Uncharted 4 or Ratchet and Clank? because HDR makes those games look noticably worse for me ATM. waiting for the new update which JUST dropped in the US 12hrs ago. Hopefully we get it soon. It's also confirmed to cut input lag to 34ms on the new HDR gaming picture mode. Like you said though, input lag isnt an issue for me at all as it is.

15320264_1496914156990314_784017823_n.jpg

43 minutes ago, Mullins_Y2k said:

Titanfall 2 + PS4Pro + B6 looks great huh!

Do you have Uncharted 4 or Ratchet and Clank? because HDR makes those games look noticably worse for me ATM. waiting for the new update which JUST dropped in the US 12hrs ago. Hopefully we get it soon. It's also confirmed to cut input lag to 34ms on the new HDR gaming picture mode. Like you said though, input lag isnt an issue for me at all as it is.

The only game I have tried in HDR is Deus Ex & it looks bloody brilliant. Can't notice the lag as is, so I'm sure it will be even better once the update is out.

I have also tried playing a couple of horror games & unfortunately this is where the banding on my set shows itself due to there being alot of darkness, especially in something like Alien Isolation. This is kind of a pain because I am a big horror fan & the deep black levels should be perfect for this kind of material, but it's marred to an extent by this uniformity problem. Just curious what your B6 looks like when displaying dark grey, any visible lines or streaks?

Edited by Adam-JM

I haven't noticed any... but you may have a keener eye than I for that kinda stuff. One thing fo sure, dark scenes look much better than they did on my old Panna Plasma. 

Out of curiosity what settings are you rocking for PS4? (you've enabled deep colour right? ;)

I'm

Oled 100 - (Can't see any disadvantage having it lower)

Contrast - 80

Brightness - 50

Sharpness - 20 (can't stand it on zero noticeably blurry image IMO)

Colour - 50

Coming from a Panasonic plasma myself, motion is no problem at all. Feels very similar to the plasma which I never had issue with.

IMO the OLED doesnt look quite as good as the panna for non HD content or even lower quality HD content....

Overall I don't regret my purchase, even though it was $5k... If that helps.