On ‎29‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 5:57 PM, MLXXX said:

Mello, have you really seen a SONY OLED in a shop demo? Where was that?

That was my question too. SONY don't have any OLED TVs in the marketplace.

18 hours ago, duke said:

The IQ3 does 1080p.

1080i and 1080p are the same for movie content (progressive 24-25fps) and 1080i is better for sport due to being 50fps.

The IQ3 is simply deinterlacing just like the TV would have to to get 1080p, no advantage there. In fact I would rather the TV do it.

The issue with free to air, Foxtel and streaming providers is lack of bandwidth, it kills picture quality and resolution.

27 minutes ago, Owen said:

1080i and 1080p are the same for movie content (progressive 24-25fps)

So why do Blurays come in 1080p?

Never heard anyone say 1080i and 1080p are just as good as each other.

3 hours ago, miata said:

SONY don't have any OLED TVs in the marketplace.

Apart from professional monitors... no.

https://pro.sony.com.au/pro/products/broadcast-products-professional-monitors-oled-monitors

Back in 2012 there was this article that said Sony and Pana had agreed to jointly produce OLED panels... but I haven't seen any info since to say that this happened.

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press/201206/12-0625E/index.html

JSmith :ninja:

3 hours ago, duke said:

So why do Blurays come in 1080p?

Because the original source is normally progressive at 24fps, no point in putting it in an interlaced container. Video that is shot interlaced and distributed on Bluray is in 1080i 50/60 on disk. It cant be converted to progressive because 1080p 50/60 is not a valid format on Bluray.

Both 1080p and 1080i can be 1920x1080, however the highest frame rate for 1080p on Bluray is 24fps.

1080i can carry progressive video up to 30fps without loss and interlaced video at up to 60fps. Sport and other content with unpredictable motion is always shot interlaced because 24fps sucks for motion and is horribly jittery unless camera and subject motion are tightly controlled, as they are in a movie. Every movement is rehearsed and movement that causes problems at 24fps avoided, thats fine for movies but pretty much useless for anything else.

3 hours ago, duke said:

Never heard anyone say 1080i and 1080p are just as good as each other.

Yep, lots of ignorance about 1080i out there.

Interlaced video is used by TV networks because its far more flexible than progressive, and until the TV industry finds a way to move to 50/60p (dont hold your breath) it will remain in use. The only progressive option is 720p and 1920x1080 beats 1280x720 every time.

Don't blame 1080i for poor quality, blame crippled data rates which forces the use of 1440x1080 to get a picture that isn't a wash with compression artefacts.

Edited by Owen

On 31/10/2016 at 0:28 AM, Mullins_Y2k said:

I'm not great with the lingo but yes, more noticible artefacts and perhaps not quite as sharp. Not positive if it's based on motion as changing motion control makes no difference. 

It just appears to be a very unforgiving TV when it comes to average sources imo. I mean my plasma was fantastic but I expected a little more for 5 grand.. still hoping for a magical fix but unlikely.

Thanks for the input.For me unforgiving to poor inputs or pilot error in foxtel settings makes no difference.You don't pay 5K for an OLED and sit there watching home and away unless you have more money than sense.As long as it looks good when you feed it proper content i think $5k might be the tipping point for me to replace my Sammy F8500 plasma.

Foxtel used I look great that's the problem...

But not a problem anymore! I noticed that 'HDMI ULTRA HDD Deep Colour was turned off all inputs as default. I still don't fully understand what this does, but I swear this cleaned up my Foxtel image to the point that it's as good as it was on the panna plasma (which was already great). 

So hot Tip, turn on HDMI ULTRA HDD Deep Colour straight away!!!

Edited by Mullins_Y2k

3 hours ago, Mullins_Y2k said:

But not a problem anymore! I noticed that 'HDMI ULTRA HDD Deep Colour was turned off all inputs as default. I still don't fully understand what this does, but I swear this cleaned up my Foxtel image to the point that it's as good as it was on the panna plasma (which was already great). 

Curious ; one things for sure the Foxtel isn't sending out a 4:2:0 colour space ;)

http://www.lg.com/au/support/product-help/CT20088015-1437130927990-others

Yeah as far as I understand the format it shouldn't make a difference. To be sure that that's what cleaned up the image,  I'll switch it back today and see if it degrades. 

Btw every preset is sooooo far away from behind optimal settings. lots of tweaking required... Good thing that's fun :)

Edited by Mullins_Y2k

10 hours ago, cwt said:

Curious ; one things for sure the Foxtel isn't sending out a 4:2:0 colour space ;)

The video would be 4:2:0 but the set top box has to use 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 output as 1080 in 4:2:0 is not supported over HDMI.

The "deep colour" setting is for 4K input so its not relevant for Foxtel.

Edited by Owen

1 hour ago, Owen said:

The video would be 4:2:0 but the set top box has to use 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 output as 1080 in 4:2:0 is not supported over HDMI.

The "deep colour" setting is for 4K input so its not relevant for Foxtel.

Yes ; a bit strange Owen that they would link a menu setting that is for a wide colour space with something sending SDR rec709 . My tvix 3d sr reports xv ycc on my second panel but didn't need to switch anything for that . 

21 hours ago, Mullins_Y2k said:

Foxtel used I look great that's the problem...

Deep colour is a 4:4:4 colour space used by professionals in image editing and there is no freakin way foxtel are sending out a 4:4:4 signal over there cheap a$$ boxes.As i said before any image problems with your foxtel feed is pilot error with you learning the tv settings on your new TV and nothing to do with the quality of the product.A good starting point is to switch all image processing off as any processing of a good quality signal is a bad thing.

I would have been ready to pull the trigger on a B6 at the price going last week except for the fact that i'm moving in 2 weeks and probably makes more sense to sell my current TV so i don't have to move it and buy a B6 when i get to the new pad.

21 hours ago, Mullins_Y2k said:

The latest B6 firmware update that come out 2 days ago improves HDR quality and apparently significantly reduces input lag  to 0.38 I think I saw (while in HDR). Just in time for PS4 Pro!  

Source? 

Edit : found it : http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/oled55b6v-201611044381.htm

Edited by shankman
Added URL

Ok so I haven't posted here in a while, but I just wanted to point out that Good Guys have a crazy sale going on right now. The 65" B6 & C6 OLEDs are under $4800 & the E6 is $6000. This is by far the lowest price I have seen on these yet & after a couple of years waiting I finally pulled the trigger & bought the E6. I might cry when it gets here lol.

On 13/11/2016 at 4:52 PM, Adam-JM said:

Ok so I haven't posted here in a while, but I just wanted to point out that Good Guys have a crazy sale going on right now. The 65" B6 & C6 OLEDs are under $4800 & the E6 is $6000. This is by far the lowest price I have seen on these yet & after a couple of years waiting I finally pulled the trigger & bought the E6. I might cry when it gets here lol.

That's still $400 over the prices on offer in the US so i'm sure the GG's are happy as Larry to be making a nice margin on every set.To me what we are seeing from LG is a new strategy to move from a niche product and instead attack Samsung SUHD on price.We live in interesting times as the death of LCD as a high end product may be a real possibility in the not to distant future.

On ‎18‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 10:38 AM, gillmaverick said:

It is now even cheaper with HN 300 gift card. Cheers

Harvey Norman1.jpg

After cancelling my order for the E6 last week, I absolutely could not pass up this price on the B6, especially since they apparently have near identical picture quality. That's a total steal especially with the $300 gift card. When I get it I'll post my thoughts & first impressions in here.

Nice one Adam-JM, welcome to the club.

*Message for LG B6 users that have or are about to buy a Playstation 4 Pro.

At the moment HDR is broken on the B6 as far as the PS4 Pro is concerend (IMO). games look noticably worse when HDR is engaged and I have triple checked all of my settings, it just seems to be a bad combination at the moment. Apparently LG are working on an update that might help, but as of now turning HDR off on the playstation is the way to go. I cant get any image improvements with HDR (on the PS4) and it creates a strange motion/focus issue on most games that really stinks.

Hopefully LG sort it out soon, as the PS4 Pro  was a big reason I bought it in the first place.