For colour certainly but for uniformity not so much as thats a panel issue. They could just be using a specially selected OLED panel for that prototype unit with better than normal uniformity, we will have to wait and see how production models perform. All round its got to be better than LG's efforts, but where are the larger sizes?

In most home situations the advantage of OLED would be clearly demonstrable to almost anyone be it day or night,with or without lights.

A good VA panel LCD works well in a typical night time viewing environment even without any dynamic dimming enabled (I dont like dimming systems). Only in low average picture level scenes does OLED offer a significant improvement in perceived blacks in such an environment.

High end plasma has a factor of 10 greater native contrast than VA LCD and needs a very dim room for blacks to look compromised, and then only in very low average picture level scenes. Plasma also offered colour accuracy, screen uniformity, off axis and motion performance that LG's OLED cant touch.

To be a worthwhile step up in perceived contrast over high end Plasma OLED has to be viewed in a room that is impractically dark IMHO. I cant reed the text on the remotes at that level and few would use a room that dark.

Its only in a totally dark room suitable for a projector where high end Plasma blacks are a noticeable issue, and even then only for a small percentage of the time. It's in that environment where OLED's really shines and where movies should be viewed, however movies also require a BIG screen for appropriate immersion, a 65" TV just doesn't cut it IMHO.

As far as flaws go well every TV ever made has had them in some form or another but if you buy it and get enjoyment from it have your really lost anything?A person could be dead before this holy grail of displays with no flaws arrives but if you need a new TV you might just have to settle for something that is on offer now.

High end Plasma and good projectors are FAR less flawed than LG's OLED and they have offered than level of performance for years. Even LCD typically has better colour accuracy (after calibration) and screen uniformity than LG OLED.

LG's OLED is a one trick pony, its blacks in a very dim to dark room. Hopefully Panasonic can lift OLED's other aspects of performance to a level at least comparable what was possible in 2009.

Edited by Owen

All good things come to those that wait. :)

JSmith :ninja:

I'm never in any rush for a new display device, history has shown its a long time between drinks as truly great products get released very infrequently and new technologies take about 10 years to get properly sorted. Lets hope OLED can buck the trend.

Edited by Owen

Here's another article on the new Panny OLED http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2015/09/03/best-tv-ever-hands-on-with-panasonics-tx-65cz950-4k-oled-tv/

According to this early preview, it seems they may have ironed out the uniformity issues some people reported on the LG sets. They also seem to think the price might be in the neighbourhood of $10K USD.

I want more than 65 if I am paying that sort of money

Otherwise will just keep my vt20 65

Until i see some reviews for LG's flat OLED's i'm keeping an open mind about all the "issues".I never wanted a curved one so i could care less about what problems it has.In the production time they have had before getting the flat ones to market they have surely been working on ironing out some of these problems?Lets just wait and see the reviews before we cry into our beer.

This article clears out the fog around driving engine....

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/panasonic-4k-uhd-oled-thx-ifa-2015-announced/#/10

"Panasonic brought in Mike Sowa, a professional Hollyw0od colorist who has worked on blockbuster movies like Oblivion and Insurgent for over 30 years. As part of the collaboration, Sowa sat down with Panasonic engineers and rigorously tested Panasonic’s prototype OLED TVs"

Flick through the pictures and see the last one "Studio Master processor" custom Pana design..

Marketing BS mate. Colour is simply an engineering issue, its science not opinion. A good colour meter tells the engineers FAR more than some Hollywood dude.

I'm sure Mike got paid well for the use of his name but thats about as far as it goes, the engineers will be going of measurements, just as they always have.

Pricing has been officially confirmed by Panasonic, their OLED will retail for 10,000 Euros....which equates to more than $16,000 over here. Congrats on making an already expensive technology even more out of reach. Although they are adamant that it will be affordable in "two to three years."

They said they weren't selling enough Plasma's to make a profitable return so they dumped that matured technology for another that hasn't a hope of making any reasonable profit for many years to come.

For a TV set, does anyone really need that very high resolution of 4K, and all for the sake of watching the news, commercials, cooking demonstrations, and the mediocre programming that is now dished up to us as entertainment. Heavens, LCD is good enough for that if one must watch it for a short while.

It's that sharp, hard, digital 'look' that LCD produces on screen that makes the image look 'flat' and less natural to the eye and generally unappealing for long term viewing.

The more 'relaxed' viewing nature of plasma and it's more natural colour balance gave it a more pleasurable viewing experience in my opinion.

But sad to say that's the end of plasma and any other phosphor energized display as market forces have decided image quality is not enough, but showroom brightness is.

C.M

Edited by Tweet

4K Streaming will never be the same quality as 4K Blu-Ray, Foxtel might be good when it decides to do 4K but now that the first 4K Blu-Ray player has been shown and with a projected price of $500, things should start to accelerate. The shown "Dummy" of a 4K disc, showed that they will be sold with the 4K + Bluray + Digital Ultraviolet, all in one package, the price will determine uptake and if the price of OLED comes down (as Panasonic predict) then there's no reason why we'll have to suffer a LCD in the interim. I'm dreading the next week, I'm house sitting for friends and I have to suffer their awful LCD if I want to watch anything, which of course, I do. To make it worse, they don't have Foxtel.

I'm looking forward to OLED at a consumer friendly price, even if it also means a new receiver, new BD player and new TV. Hopefully my ST50, will see me through to that day. I will, start buying 4K Blu-Rays, so that by the time I take the 4K plunge, I'll have media. Now all I have to do, is survive my three score years and ten (11 months to go) and see how things are progressing then!

A good colour meter tells the engineers FAR more than some Hollywood dude.

Sure thing the pana engineers calibrated the pro grade engine chip using real deal equipment (not the one used by "joe the calibrator")

The morale here is.... the pana-s won't need in-house calibration, all that lala stories "run in it for cpl hundred hours and then call the above joe... true next generation of TVs

:hyper:

Edited by nadyn

Actually "Joe the calibrator" typically runs VERY high end equipment, they can afford to its a tax deduction.

No TV has ever come out of the factory with "accurate" colour and likely never will. THX certification has been proved to mean absolutely nothing and colour drifts off with use. So the ONLY way to get accurate colour is with individual on site calibration and re calibration as the set ages.

Bring it :hyper:

"The 55-inch OLED (organic light-emitting diode) display weighs 1.9 kilograms and is less than a millimeter thick. Thanks to a magnetic mat that sits behind it on the wall, the TV can be stuck to a wall. To remove the display from the wall, you peel the screen off the mat."

http://www.cnet.com/au/news/lg-displays-latest-oled-tv-sticks-to-the-wall-is-under-1mm-thick/

... it's a comin'. ;)

"The company touted its position as the first to mass-produce large-screen OLEDs for televisions and said that its yield has hit 80 percent"

That's a better figure...

Edited by jsmith

The Pana OLED is looking good...

"The Panasonic TX-65CZ950 OLED TV looks so good that it may very well usher in the next phase in television. Yes, really.

By all appearances the Panasonic TX-65CZ950 (or TX-65CZ952B, as this model may yet come to be known in the UK) is an unadulterated thing of beauty. And we're not alone in that respect: this is the first 4K OLED TV to receive THX certification, which apparently came as a result of over 400 laboratory tests."

• 1 month later...

Looking forward to seeing the results of this, although I think it would be better if they somehow did a blind test and hid which TV was which(bit difficult considering one of them is flat) :

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/oled-shootout-201510254199.htm

This looks promising;

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/55ef950v-201508264156.htm

"OLED TV pacemaker LG Electronics has announced that it will be unveiling four new OLED televisions at the IFA 2015 consumer electronics trade show that’s kicking off in Berlin next week, including long-awaited flat-screen and 4K HDR-capable versions."

https://www.avforums.com/review/lg-65ef950v-ef950-ef9500-ultra-hd-4k-oled-tv-review.12014

"Video geeks with extra cash who don't like curved TVs, this is the moment you've been waiting for.

LG has officially announced the price and availability of its flat OLED TVs with 4K resolution. The 65-inch 65EF9500 costs $6,999 US, while the 55-inch 55EF9600 goes for $5,499. They're due to hit US shelves in mid-September. The TV made its first appearance at CES 2015 last January, and we just had our second chance to see it at IFA 2015 in Berlin.
Details for the UK and Australia versions of the new sets weren't immediately available, but last January at CES 2015 LG said that the UK model numbers would be 65EF950V for the 65-inch and 55EF950V for the 55-inch."
"The EF9500 has incredible deep pitch blacks and the best looking colors you have ever seen in terms of brilliance, depth, saturation, and contrast."
Dark edges may still be a slight issue... but overall this is a cracker by the sounds. :)