If the TV is 10 bit input capable, which 4K sets should be, HDR compatibility costs nothing to implement, its just a special gamma curve that can likely be manually calibrated in by the user with the 20 point gamma controls.

However, the main aim of HDR is crazy high light output levels in excess 1000nits with some pushing for 10,000 plus. OLED currently cant get even close to 1000nits (only quantum dot LCD is in with a chance) so has to rely on its superb blacks and a totally dark room for useful HDR display.

The other major problem that affects all so called HRD capable TV's is the standards for HDR are far from finalized, especially regarding the data format. Chances are any HDR TV you buy now wont be able to understand the formats (likely more than one) that eventually do become available.

HDR is even more up in the air than Rec.2020 colour, come back in 5 years and it might be sorted.

The best news about the upcoming releases is that flat seems to be back in a big way so they look like they want to aggressively sell tv's to the people that actually buy them.The $10k retail for the 65EG960T with curve and non HDR capable hdmi seems laughable just weeks after it's release :rofl:

From what I'm hearing the flat models will be a similar price to the curved ones, so still way too damn expensive. At $5-6K for the 65" I'd bite, but not for $10K.

Also since HDR content seems to be much brighter it could possibly increase the risk of burn in if these screens act anything like a plasma.

Edited by Adam-JM

From what I'm hearing the flat models will be a similar price to the curved ones, so still way too damn expensive. At $5-6K for the 65" I'd bite, but not for $10K.

The Samsung 65 JS8000 SUHD opened at $8K and dropped to $6K retail within 2 months.JB knocked them out last weekend at $4K and $3K for the 55" and HN would price match with 60 months interest free.If they really want to sell them it might not take that long to see the prices tumbling.

The Samsung 65 JS8000 SUHD opened at $8K and dropped to $6K retail within 2 months.JB knocked them out last weekend at $4K and $3K for the 55" and HN would price match with 60 months interest free.If they really want to sell them it might not take that long to see the prices tumbling.

Samsung had to drop the prices of their LCDs due to a lot of competition. LG on the other hand is the only OLED game in town so it might take longer for that to happen. We'll see if Panasonic announce anything of their own at IFA, that would make things interesting.

Edited by Adam-JM

on the US site already, same price as the curved.

here is the link, not much info on the specs sheet.

http://www.lg.com/us/support/products/documents/EF9500%20Spec%20Sheet.pdf

Samsung had to drop the prices of their LCDs due to a lot of competition. LG on the other hand is the only OLED game in town so it might take longer for that to happen. We'll see if Panasonic announce anything of their own at IFA, that would make things interesting.

It's not a matter of being the only game in town.It's as simple as do they want to sell them or don't they?Would you rather sell a handful at $10k or get the price down to a tipping point where all the old plasma guys are buying hundreds of them?That is there market because the average customer will see it in the shop and think the LCD looks brighter and must be better and it's even cheaper as well.For this old plasma guy i reckon $6K would be my tipping point for a 65" flat one.What say the rest of you?

What would greatly drive 4K OED sales would have to be that which is largely missing from the shelves.............4K software and the means by which to play it.

There is little incentive to buy a 4K TV until that happens and at a price that is reasonable to most consumers.

C.M

I dont care how low the price drops, unless they can fix the colour accuracy and screen uniformity issues OLED is not an option at any price for me.

I have no need of absolute blacks to view what I do on a TV and I value colour and uniformity FAR more, so unless OLED comes in 100" plus sizes suitable for movie viewing with accurate colour and near perfect uniformity, as I currently get with a JVC projector, I have no use for it.

4K is a joke on a 65" TV, WAY too small for a 3m viewing distance. I cant resolve 1080 at that size and distance so "4K" is pissing in the wind, even if there was any true 4K content. Offer me a 130" 4K OLED without defects and I'll be VERY interested, however I don't see such a product becoming available in the foreseeable future and even if it does happen how many years will it take to get it under $30K?

Until then projectors rule.

Edited by Owen

Until then projectors rule.

Projectors can be used to display TV... but they're not TV's. Projectors do not function correctly as a display device unless the room is very dark and preferably completely light controlled.

Projectors will never make inroads into most consumers homes for this reason. Most are after something to watch TV on and stream online TV shows, watching the odd film here are there. Unless your sole focus is film, then a projector is not an appropriate option.

I know you don't watch TV anymore... but many people do. ;)

JSmith :ninja:

Projectors do not function correctly as a display device unless the room is very dark and preferably completely light controlled.

That's why most projector owners also have TV's, no one display is suitable for all tasks. TV's are for TV and projectors intended for watching for viewing movies.

Most are after something to watch TV on and stream online TV shows, watching the odd film here are there.

How is a 4K TV with perfect blacks in any way required for that use??????????

If its dark enough for OLED to show its stuff its dark enough for a projector.

I know you don't watch TV anymore... but many people do. ;)

I do watch TV, the ABC and Foxtel. That's what my TV's are used for because even the 65" is sad for movie viewing and noticeably smaller and less involving than my old 70" Sony, which in turn was never adequate for movies.

I also have Netfix but hardly ever look at it. When I do its on a TV because Netfix is not up top scratch for large screen viewing IMHO and the sound sucks, which is why I have never watched a movie on Netfix and likely never will.

Since OLED is not kind to low quality source I fail to see how its a good choice for viewing OZ TV. OLED's only asset, absolute blacks, requires a very dim to totally dark room to appreciate, and while absolute blacks are a MAJOR asset for dark room movie viewing, the poor uniformity, second rate colour and VERY limited screen size easily negate that one advantage as far as I am concerned.

My dislike of LCD is well documented, but given the choice between an 80" plus LCD and a 65" OLED I would have to choose the much larger LCD if movie viewing was important.

Edited by Owen

Panasonic OLED officially announced ahead of IFA http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2015/09/02/panasonic-goes-oled-new-65-inch-4k-tv-unveiled/

It is called the TX-CZ950 & will be a 65" (curved) model with HDR & THX certification. Apparently due for release in October (at least in Europe) but no price confirmed yet.

If they land here under $10K it would be nice, but here's dreaming...

Edited by Adam-JM

It is called the TX-CZ950 & will be a 65" (curved) model...

I was disappointed to see it will be curved but from the images it appears to be only slightly so..... Will have to wait until seeing it on release to find out what it's really like.

I was disappointed to see it will be curved but from the images it appears to be only slightly so..... Will have to wait until seeing it on release to find out what it's really like.

I've always been indifferent to the curve personally. As long as it doesn't cause screen uniformity issues it's definitely not a deal breaker for me.

At 8500 pounds that puts it at roughly $18500 AU. It's also being mentioned on AV forums these sets will have limited numbers and availability.

Considering the ZT60 never made it here, I'm extremely pessimistic of our chances on this set ever being sold in Australia. Maybe next years model.

At 8500 pounds that puts it at roughly $18500 AU. It's also being mentioned on AV forums these sets will have limited numbers and availability.

Considering the ZT60 never made it here, I'm extremely pessimistic of our chances on this set ever being sold in Australia. Maybe next years model.

Where did you see that price? I haven't found anything on that. If it truly will cost that much they're going to have a hard time selling many of them.

What about OLED "wallpaper" to cover the entire wall with a display? :D

Bring it :hyper:

SED promised that years ago and never delivered, and if an OLED product of that type does become available its not likely to be for less than $50K in the next 10 years, if not longer, which means it may as well not exist.

Projectors are not going to become obsolete any time soon.

Edited by Owen

OLED's only asset, absolute blacks, requires a very dim to totally dark room to appreciate, and while absolute blacks are a MAJOR asset for dark room movie viewing, the poor uniformity, second rate colour and VERY limited screen size easily negate that one advantage as far as I am concerned.

I don't think you need a dark room to appreciate OLED's vast superiority in contrast over LCD,it's just not apparent in the unnatural brightness of the shop floor.In most home situations the advantage of OLED would be clearly demonstrable to almost anyone be it day or night,with or without lights.As far as flaws go well every TV ever made has had them in some form or another but if you buy it and get enjoyment from it have your really lost anything?A person could be dead before this holy grail of displays with no flaws arrives but if you need a new TV you might just have to settle for something that is on offer now.

Here's another article on the new Panny OLED http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2015/09/03/best-tv-ever-hands-on-with-panasonics-tx-65cz950-4k-oled-tv/

According to this early preview, it seems they may have ironed out the uniformity issues some people reported on the LG sets. They also seem to think the price might be in the neighbourhood of $10K USD.