Jsmith you also misunderstood my post, I was making te point that LCD (led especially) sharpness has an unnatural quality that other display technologies don't have.

It's especially apparent when you compare LCD's with plasma and I believe OLED too (hoping to cast my eyes on one today) - IMO it seems to be that self illuminating pixels vs backlit pixels produce a more natural result.

Edited by dJOS

Jsmith you also misunderstood my post, I was making te point that LCD (led especially) sharpness has an unnatural quality that other display technologies don't have.

It's especially apparent when you compare LCD's with plasma and I believe OLED too (hoping to cast my eyes on one today) - IMO it seems to be that self illuminating pixels vs back lit pixels produce a more natural result.

I think there may be something in that.

Personally I find LCD produces visually a very flat image as against that of Plasma or CRT which produces a more vibrant image quality. That is, the image seems to have more 'substance' or 'body' to it rather than that of the 'flat' image that LCD presents.

C.M

• 3 months later...

Bugger... seems it'll be just LG and Pana for a while.

"Samsung hits the pause button on OLED TVs
SEOUL -- Samsung Electronics has abandoned plans for a new facility to manufacture next-generation display panels for televisions, deterred by the inefficiency of production amid intense price competition in the TV market.
Samsung makes the OLED panels at a small-scale production facility at its Tangjeong complex. Investment has been called off for a larger facility that would have been in place by the end of the year."
JSmith :ninja:

Didn't Samsung announce last year it was revamping its approach to big screens (40"+) in general? Basically they hadn't made a profit selling them for years as they'd been heavily discounted to remain competetive. The profit was in the huge sub 40" market.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

I just saw the LG 55" OLED at the good guys sitting next to a Panasonic VT50 plasma.. I grabbed the panasonic remote and set it to THX mode. And set the OLED screen to normal settings instead of high dynamic. The OLED screen is amazing! It almost looks fake / artificial. The only way to describe it is like when you see the apple imac glass monitor screens and it looks so crisp and fresh and it POPS.. May not be for everyone but the picture looked stunning to me at every angle i looked at it.. The panasonic was no slouch either but id say the OLED screen beats plasma now that i have seen one in the flesh. my 2c :)

The real problem with OLED in the short term is that all the other manufactures apart from LG seem to have backed the wrong horse.LG's cheap approach of having one white Oled with a RGB substructure in front of it has meant it is first to the market with a working TV.It is obvious to anyone with half a brain that the harder option of producing a panel with separate RGB OLED's will be a superior technology but atm they have a problem with the longevity of the blue OLED.I read recently that Sony and Panasonic are going to buy the white OLED panels off LG so they can get a working TV to the market to compete with them.Add to that now the mindboggling distraction of manufactures trying to force a curved screen on us and talking like a snake oil salesman when they explain why we need it.My plan at the moment is to buy another Samsung F8500 Plasma and leave it in the box as backup just in case something bad happens to the one i'm using as my main display.12 months down the track they will be non replaceable and what are the chances that you will be able buy a flat 60"+ OLED for 2K by then?

...but atm they have a problem with the longevity of the blue OLED.

They resolved that some time ago... the issue now is the low yield level. This has increased the price per panel and thus so far has prevented RGB OLED from being commercially competitive in any way. I think this will eventually change, however time will tell.

I think Samsung is quite happy atm with the market share it has and the money it makes off LED LCD's... I highly doubt they will bin OLED completely though in the future.

A crazy priced OLED panel sitting next to a $3K LED LCD panel, both displaying the promo slides, seems to make people think $3K is suddenly good value in comparison too... ;)

JSmith :ninja:

I read recently that Sony and Panasonic are going to buy the white OLED panels off LG so they can get a working TV to the market to compete with them

That actually makes sense to me. LG presumably have more TVs than they can sell. A segment of the market will only buy a different brand. So sell the TVs you can't sell to your competitor for a profit and they can sell that TV to consumers you were never going to reach in the first place.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

I just saw the LG 55" OLED at the good guys sitting next to a Panasonic VT50 plasma.. I grabbed the panasonic remote and set it to THX mode. And set the OLED screen to normal settings instead of high dynamic. The OLED screen is amazing! It almost looks fake / artificial. The only way to describe it is like when you see the apple imac glass monitor screens and it looks so crisp and fresh and it POPS.. May not be for everyone but the picture looked stunning to me at every angle i looked at it.. The panasonic was no slouch either but id say the OLED screen beats plasma now that i have seen one in the flesh. my 2c :)

Unfortunately its all too easy to be totally deceived by comparisons like that. When both displays are calibrated they will look very close to identical, any differences will be VERY subtle.

The OLED in normal mode will be a lot brighter than the Panasonic Plasma in THX mode, which is quite dim, so the comparison is pointless.

Put a super bright LCD into the comparison and the LCD will have more "pop" than the OLED, thats just the way it works.

OLED has a tough road ahead as the market seems to like super bright. OLED cant compete with LCD for brightness and very few people will care about its black level attributes as they will only be apparent in a dark room. LCD is BRIGHT and sells in spite of its relatively poor blacks.

Edited by Owen

I know what your saying owen, im a plasma fan all the way. The picture just looked sharper and cleaner/clearer to my eyes compared to the Panasonic.. Dont get my wrong the panasonic was amazing. But this oled panel looked about 20% better to my eyes. I was there for 15mins playing with settings and getting real close and walking 2-3m away... Oled is the future and plasma will be finished so you pretty much have to get on board :)

The sales assist mentioned panasonic are bringing out an 85" and a 100" to the domestic market :D not plasma though :(

85 inch OLED? that should be around 40 grand,100 inch 70 grand. Be surprised if much less.

I think samsuns 105 inch curved panel will still be 69 grand or something like that. You can buy a premium projector and 3 cars for that. too much money.

I know what your saying owen, im a plasma fan all the way. The picture just looked sharper and cleaner/clearer to my eyes compared to the Panasonic.. Dont get my wrong the panasonic was amazing. But this oled panel looked about 20% better to my eyes. I was there for 15mins playing with settings and getting real close and walking 2-3m away... Oled is the future and plasma will be finished so you pretty much have to get on board :)

I find the VT60 Panasonic too clear and too sharp, so sharper and clearer is the last thing I want as it looks harsh and digital IMHO. Sounds like the LG OLED has some serious sharpening going on, typical for LG and not good IMHO. The examples I have seen looked ridiculous and not good at all.

When all aspects of performance, including sharpness, are full calibrated there cant be any significant difference in visual performance. OLED should look better than Plasma in a totally dark room due to a lower black level but not as attractive as LCD in bright rooms because it cant go as bright. For many viewing environments it has no inherent advantage and is likely to look more digital than Plasma, more like LCD. For some thats a good thing and for others its not.

Edited by Owen

On a much smaller scale I just got a Samsung S5 Smartphone with a AMOLED screen and coming from a LCD phone screen I must say its stunning!!! so even at 5.1" its very noticeable the difference especially at that size where text is involed

cheers laurie

On a much smaller scale I just got a Samsung S5 Smartphone with a AMOLED screen and coming from a LCD phone screen I must say its stunning!!! so even at 5.1" its very noticeable the difference especially at that size where text is involed

cheers laurie

I hope the first thing you did was switch to "movie" mode?

The default settings are appallingly badly over saturated!

Thanks Os, i just spent the last half hour looking for "movie mode" on my Galaxy Smartphone

:hmm:

BAHAHAHA. That's actually amusing. But they do look good don't they. Photos are always way ahead of Apple I believe.

BAHAHAHA. That's actually amusing. But they do look good don't they. Photos are always way ahead of Apple I believe.

definitely...do they both use AMOLED ? or is that Samsungs edge ?

edit: oops looks a potential Apple v Sammy thing happening here...im out

Edited by mello yello

definitely...do they both use AMOLED ? or is that Samsungs edge ?

edit: oops looks a potential Apple v Sammy thing happening here...im out

Only Samsung use OLED (AMOLED, not RGB OLED) displays in their phones afaik.

no need to bow out, this is about OLED displays and seeing as only Samsung use them in phones I think it's fair to talk about them in isolation without bringing iOS vs Droid into it. :)

Edited by dJOS

Not sure where you get that idea from?

Both the iPhone 5s and S5 camera's are pretty good (5s has the edge in low light tho)

Camera comparison part way down page: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/04/samsungs-galaxy-s5-has-plenty-of-upgrades-so-why-does-it-feel-so-meh/3/

Had a Galaxy 4 (coming from iPhone 4) and had to go back to iPhone 5 for work to sync with bosses/calendars

IMO the samsung did photos better.

I prefer the iPhone for most other things though.

Don't have 5s so can only comment on my personal experience. Certainly not worth arguing about.

Edited by Jutta