Its not going to be forgiving of bad source.

For a screen to be accurate it should not be "forgiving" of low quality source material, rather, should simply display it correctly... warts and all.

I didn't think you were into polishing turds? ;):P

JSmith :ninja:

It ain't the bees knees either. $9000 for a 55" OLED TV that doesn't look like a huge step ahead of my $1550 55" LED-edgelit LCD is ridiculous.

How many of us have actually seen OLED yet? If the claims of 'Infinite Blacks', 'Less Motion Blur' and 'More Accurate Color' are true then OLED is a huge step forward.

I just saw a review of an LG 55" OLED at CES on TV. Only 4mm thick at thinnest section and weighs just 17kg.

I hope they do continue to develop larger screen with prices reducing. When I can get an 80"+ 4k for under $8k I'll pull the trigger.

Edited by HomerJ

Crap..... and may even be unwatchable unless there is a mode on the display called "Australian FTA" please turn on

cheers laurie

My TV has a mode for Australian FTA TV - it prompts me to press the power button......Look at those blacks!

For a screen to be accurate it should not be "forgiving" of low quality source material, rather, should simply display it correctly... warts and all.

I didn't think you were into polishing turds? ;):P

My idea of "accurate" is in image that looks more like the real analogue world, rather than a digital TV.

Any display that emphasizes the deficiencies of digital video is unacceptable as far as I am concerned, and I wont buy one because it would bother me every time I used it.

Edited by Owen

My idea of "accurate" is in image that looks more like the real analogue world, rather than a digital TV.

Any display that emphasizes the deficiencies of digital video is unacceptable as far as I am concerned, and I wont buy one because it would bother me every time I used it.

Like unnaturally sharp LCD's?

(Certainly one of my main beefs with them, that and PQ which varies depending on viewing angle)

The OLED TVs were displaying the demo loops provided by Samsung and LG respectively.

I thought so and must say I don't think anyone could make a decent assessment of the panel playing such material and with in-store conditions.

I agree, all flat panel displays have much the same inherent "sharpness". Visible differences will come down to differences in brightness and digital processing.

Excessive sharpness is a bad thing with any display technology.

When it comes to displaying images free of compression artifacts, I expect OLED will be much more like Plasma than LCD, which is seriously deficient.

I agree, all flat panel displays have much the same inherent "sharpness". Visible differences will come down to differences in brightness and digital processing.

When it comes to displaying images free of compression artifacts, I expect OLED will be much more like Plasma than LCD, which is seriously deficient.

Hey owen, do you **** and moan during a root?

IMO it boils down to the image looking unnaturally sharp or naturally sharp, most LCD's fall into the former category to me, especially those horrid LED edge lit TV's!

You expect huh...

Displaying images free of compression artefacts depends on the source, codec and the video processing.

Why you think new, expensive top of the line OLED panels will have deficient video processing is beyond me...

...especially those horrid LED edge lit TV's!

Lucky we're talking about OLED then... :rolleyes:

You expect huh...

Displaying images free of compression artefacts depends on the source, codec and the video processing.

Actually the display technology its self has a large influence on performance. LCD has always had colour resolution and pixelation issues at low video levels that processing could not fix.

Samsung Plasma TV's look significantly better then their LCD models with the same poor quality source. Do you really think Samsung use inferior processing in their LCD TV's then in their Plasma's? Why would they do that?

My 2007 vintage Sony SXRD doesn’t have great video processing by current standards yet handles crap source like Youtube really well will almost no pixelation, blocking or posterization, and my JVC projector, which uses similar display technology, is noticeably better again. Both are WAY better than any LCD display even though the TV is 70" and the projector screen 100". MUCH smaller LCD's look nasty with the same source at the same viewing distance.

The VT60 Panasonic Plasma has turned out to be better then expected. I have always been happy with Plasmas handling of low grade source like free to air TV, even with the cheap no name Chinese models, but the VT60 is better then anything I have seen before and is certainly better than the previous generation Panasonic’s. I haven't tested Youtube video as yet, but with Foxtel and free to air its right up there with the Sony SXRD on average. Some content is a little better on the Sony and some a little better on the Panasonic, and for a flat panel TV that's a remarkable performance.

The JVC projector is a step up over both despite its much larger size screen, its pretty much immune to digital nasties.

Why you think new, expensive top of the line OLED panels will have deficient video processing is beyond me...

Read my post again and you will see that what you have said here makes no sense.

I never even suggested expensive OLED TV's would have deficient video processing.

What I do expect is better performance than LCD with the same standard of video processing, because the display technology is totally different and should avoid the inherent limitations of LCD.

Edited by Owen

Read my post again and you will see that what you have said here makes no sense.

You're right, I misread your post, apologies... am I now getting the impression you're warming to the potential benefits of an OLED flat panel display? Maybe that's where I stumbled... ;)