Do OLED TVs have a chance of being mass-produced in the future?

Yes, huge investment has gone into this. Once the production bugs are ironed out, OLED will be cheaper to produce mass scale than LCD.

"But a couple of advances in OLED production have been revealed that will ultimately drive down the price in OLED production, making them cheaper and more common than they currently are.

Making them Faster and more Cheaply

A five-year old California company called Kateeva has built a machine that changes the way OLED screens are manufactured.

OLED screens are made in a fashion somewhat like multi-color silkscreening. A stencil blocks out the areas where certain organic compounds will be applied, and they're stacked layer by layer through the process of vaporization. The first problem with this process is that it must be done in a vacuum, the second problem is that materials are wasted when they're applied to the stenciled-out areas.

Kateeva's process utilizes inkjet print nozzles to apply the relevant materials, so that stencils are no longer needed and resources are not wasted.

Kateeva says its machine, called YIELDjet, can produce OLED screens at a rate ten times faster than current production allows, that it decreases production downtime, and that it decreases particle contamination to which OLEDs are susceptible.

Getting Rid of the Expensive Components

OLEDs work because an organic layer of semiconductors glows when an electrical current is applied. To improve the reliability of the reactions that cause the screen to glow, heavy metals like platinum and iridium must be added. But as the reliability increases, the light energy of the reaction drops significantly, and heat energy increases.

Researchers at the University of Bonn in Germany discovered that other compounds besides these expensive heavy metals can be used without a significant drop in reliability or increase in heat energy.

This means the expensive heavy metal parts of OLED screens might not be necessary in future generations, so their price will drop without an appreciable impact on reliability or picture quality."

http://www.energyandcapital.com/articles/investing-in-the-next-generation-of-tv-screens/4043

Bear in mind as well these companies want to make sure they make as much money out of LCD as they can before making OLED's too cheap... ;)

JSmith :ninja:

It ain't the bees knees either. $9000 for a 55" OLED TV that doesn't look like a huge step ahead of my $1550 55" LED-edgelit LCD is ridiculous.

Of course it's ridiculous, it's a new technology and somehow I think it's supposed to be ridiculous too. ;)

Have you considered the idea that to a consumer suddenly $1000 or so doesn't seem so bad when there's another screen sitting there for 9 times the price which is the same size?

JSmith :ninja:

Have you considered the idea that to a consumer suddenly $1000 or so doesn't seem so bad when there's another screen sitting there for 9 times the price which is the same size?

$1000 could get you a 29" widescreen CRT around 10 years ago so a 55" LCD with better resolution and arguably better PQ is good value.

Wasnt THAT long ago I was sitting at a retailer watching a "massive" 52" sony LCD wondering when I was going to be able to afford one, RRP $8999!

Yep I said the same thing about the Kuro from memory it was around the $18,000 mark depends who you got it from thank god I waited to get it at a fire sale price

cheers laurie

Wasnt THAT long ago I was sitting at a retailer watching a "massive" 52" sony LCD wondering when I was going to be able to afford one, RRP $8999!
Yes, but the downward price driver in that instance is now gone (worldwide move to digital TV such that everyone was buying a new TV). And even so I think Samsung said they made a net loss on screens they sold over 42" in size. Whether OLED is successful will have little to do with how good its PQ is - that doesn't drive most TV sales.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

You can't expect retailers to keep showcasing larger and larger screens selling for $1,000 to $1,500, taking up all that floor space.

Don't think they have much choice its not like you can buy online.TV's are the type of product that you need to see in front of you switched on and seeing some type of picture on it jmho!!

cheers laurie

Yep I said the same thing about the Kuro from memory it was around the $18,000 mark depends who you got it from thank god I waited to get it at a fire sale price

cheers laurie

The first Kuro was a 1080 50" and it cost about $9k on release. At the same time a Panasonic 65" was available and it cost $18k.

The first 60" Plasma, a 768p model cost almost $40k back in the day.

Don't think they have much choice its not like you can buy online.TV's are the type of product that you need to see in front of you switched on and seeing some type of picture on it jmho!!

Yes, you do need to see the picture for yourself and also need to hear the sound.

This is what makes the OLED TV ads and the Bose sound ads seem pointless. I can't see the "beautiful colours" of the OLED TV on my plain LED TV and hear the "difference" of the Bose speakers on my TV/Yamaha HT. All I can actually see/hear is someone telling me that they're great.

Yes, you do need to see the picture for yourself and also need to hear the sound.

This is what makes the OLED TV ads and the Bose sound ads seem pointless. I can't see the "beautiful colours" of the OLED TV on my plain LED TV and hear the "difference" of the Bose speakers on my TV/Yamaha HT. All I can actually see/hear is someone telling me that they're great.

Many successful marketing campaigns have over the last few decades relied upon enticing consumers to 'come and check out how great something is' in person, I see no reason why that wouldn't work for oled.

Edited by dJOS

Many successful marketing campaigns have over the last few decades relied upon enticing consumers to 'come and check out how great something is' in person, I see no reason why that wouldn't work for oled.

just in time pour Le Mondial

here we go OLE OLE OLED

do you really want it !!!!???

Go Go!!... OLE OLE OLED

How will typical Aus FTA look on it?

Where they displaying a "special" demo video on the one you saw or real content like a normal Bluray movie?

I'll bet it looks just like a LED LCD for free to air viewing, at least with the settings used in store. Its not going to be forgiving of bad source.