No I have not seen one, nor have I looked. I have also NEVER said OLED would not look good.

Ah, apologies.. I probably misunderstood you before..

I have however always been sceptically that a first gen OLED would be as good as the hype suggested, or a viable replacement for Plasma. So fare its not.

First thing I checked - The OLED didn't buzz :D :D... On that front alone it's a viable replacement to PDP in my books.. But then again this is in a store environment so it's hardly authoritative.

It kills plasma and LCD IMO, but then again I don't analyse PQ the way you do so hopefully in time I can hear what you say so I can get a proper perspective...

Take your time as I'm in no hurry just yet, have to wait for my existing screen to die and OLED panel to support all the random buzzword features to drop to < $4k and in stock before I can even consider getting one...

It kills plasma and LCD IMO, but then again I don't analyse PQ the way you do so hopefully in time I can hear what you say so I can get a proper perspective...

Its not possible for OLED to look drastically different to Plasma or LCD. Once calibrated they should all look close to identical in a normal living room environment. There will only be very subtle differences, mainly with colour and black level and most people would struggle to pick one from another in a double blind test where you dont know which set you are viewing. The black level advantage of OLED over Plasma will only be noticeable in a very dim to dark room.

When calibrating the brightness of all sets will be equalized so a super bright model has no advantage.

If it comes to a brightness war, LCD is going to walk all over OLED. Expect the brightness of LED LCD to skyrocket in the near future being pushed along by Dolby Vision and consumers love of ultra bright TV's.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2014/01/dolby-display-4k/

Personally, I cant think of anything more objectionable or useless than a TV many times brighter than anything on the current market, but only LCD will be able to do it in the foreseeable future, OLED cant get close.

Its not possible for OLED to look drastically different to Plasma or LCD.

That's the theory.. Waiting on you to actually see one to confirm it.

If it comes to a brightness war, LCD is going to walk all over OLED. Expect the brightness of LED LCD to skyrocket in the near future being pushed along by Dolby Vision and consumers love of ultra bright TV's.

http://www.wired.com...lby-display-4k/

Personally, I cant think of anything more objectionable or useless than a TV many times brighter than anything on the current market, but only LCD will be able to do it in the foreseeable future, OLED cant get close.

Oh my... Why is it that TV panels seem to get loaded with more and more crap every iteration?

That's the theory.. Waiting on you to actually see one to confirm it.

Its not just a "theory' mate, thats the way it is. If displays are calibrated to the same standard they will look the same.

I've calibrated all sorts of displays from CRT, both direct view and projection, LCD, Plasma and front projection. Provided there is adequate adjustment available I can get them all to look pretty much identical, close enough that most people would not pick one from another.

If displays look different they will measure different, and if they measure different to the established standards they are less than best. The only differences will be very subtle ones relating to the displays technology and its limitations.

Viewing a TV in a retail environment wont tell you anything about calibrated performance. In fact, if you like the in store setup of the OLED you saw you almost certainly wont like the look of the set calibrated.

Edited by Owen

Its not just a "theory' mate, thats the way it is. If displays are calibrated to the same standard they will look the same.

Maybe that's why OLED is curved? So it stands out.. I've never tried that part in bold TBH, good thing to look out for if I get one in the future.. I guess that statement is only true if all panels can be calibrated to the same standard?

I guess that statement is only true if all panels can be calibrated to the same standard?

Obviously, and using the TV's in built controls its normally not possible to get perfection. So what you end up with is one display with one set of errors and another with a different set, neither is perfect they are just different.

With an external video processor or HTPC we can get a perfect gray scale and gamma, plus get color primary's and secondary's closer to standard provided the displays gamut is wide enough to begin with. Even if they are not, small gamut errors are pretty much impossible to see so are of little importance. Get gray scale and gamma right and you are 95% there.

Its not possible for OLED to look drastically different to Plasma or LCD. Once calibrated they should all look close to identical in a normal living room environment.

Really... and here I was thinking LCD and Plasma were worlds apart, not to mention various models too. :rolleyes:

JSmith :ninja:

Really... and here I was thinking LCD and Plasma were worlds apart, not to mention various models too. :rolleyes:

Most people would not see anything that they would consider "worlds apart" after calibration, but for some of us subtle differences mean everything.

If all the TV's in a showroom where properly calibrated most people would not be able to reliably pick them apart because they are not tuned in to the subtle differences that separate them. Since TV's in a showroom are as they come from the manufacturer and most people have no reference point to know what they should look like, they pick whatever they see as best, usually they go for bright and colorful.

After calibration there are differences that are imposed by the technology and its implementation, these differences are very subtle but vital to those who know what they want.

So when one TV looks vastly different to others in a showroom its mostly because of setup differences, after calibration it will look very similar to every other set if they where calibrated.

Edited by Owen

Well, I saw the 55" LG OLED TV today, it was showing some highly contrived HD demo designed to show off contrast. Unfortunately in the quite brightly lit showroom it looked just like any other over bright, over colorful TV on the shop floor. The black level was no darker than the LCD's and many of them where obviously brighter.

I cant comment on picture "quality" as the demo video, viewing environment and TV setup where so far from ideal no judgment could be made.

What was clear however is that OLED is going to struggle for recognition on the showroom floor, it just doesn't differentiate its self from the LCD's. With much bigger and often brighter LCD's going for much less cash I cant see many people opting for a little 55" OLED for what is stupid money in today's market.

Its clear the market push this year is for big 4k LCD's, they are going to have a showroom wow factor that no 55" TV can match, let alone a 1080 model.

The next proposed step up in OLED models is the 77" UHD LG which may go on sale later in the year, but at a price that very few would even contemplate.

With only 55" 1080 models from LG and Samsung available in the under $30K price bracket, I predict OLED sales are going to be dismal.

Edited by Owen

Its pretty much certain that OLED will go nowhere in 2014. We can only hope that it does not die out as a TV technology and manufacturers give it another go in 2015.

It would be dreadful if the only TV choice was LCD, but thats looking like a real possibility in the near term.

Its pretty much certain that OLED will go nowhere in 2014. We can only hope that it does not die out as a TV technology and manufacturers give it another go in 2015.

It would be dreadful if the only TV choice was LCD, but thats looking like a real possibility in the near term.

What about the commercial world, won't they jump onto OLED bandwagon....?

@41588020 beedy writes...

["If true, I'd like to know the details of Panasonic's split with Sony re OLED development. Maybe Panasonic felt they didn't need Sony and decided they didn't want to share the spoils?"]

http://www.oled-info.com/panasonic-expects-ship-consumer-and-professional-oled-tvs-2014

"Panasonic recently cancelled their OLED TV joint-development project with Sony, so Panasonic's OLED plans aren't clear. The company showed six 55" curved OLED TV prototypes at CES, and according to an article in the USA Today, Panasonic does have some ambitious OLED projects."

http://www.oled-info.com/panasonic-convert-its-himeji-plant-oled-and-4k-tablet-lcd-production

"Back then Panasonic said they will continue to produce LCD TVs, but now it seems the company will buy its LCD TV panels from a third party, and focus on tablet 4K displays and 4K OLEDs."

Nice try mate, but where are the all the OLED TVs that are going to take over the market?

Exorbidently priced, curved screens made by Lucky Goldstar, do you want to buy one?

Samsung where the great hope with a proper RGB system, but they either have problems or have lost confidance.

Any way you look at it the outlook for OLED TVs this year is not good.

Nice try mate, but where are the all the OLED TVs that are going to take over the market?

Exorbidently priced, curved screens made by Lucky Goldstar, do you want to buy one?

Samsung where the great hope with a proper RGB system, but they either have problems or have lost confidance.

Any way you look at it the outlook for OLED TVs this year is not good.

Unless Kogan sells one? :D:P That may change the market if it ever happens ...

Given the features panel makers stick on panels these days, IMO panel makers should just stick to making panels and stay off the retail sector...

Nice try mate...

Nice try for what Owen?

Merely posting some news about Panasonic's OLED plans as people have been asking...

I agree pricing for OLED is not looking good... yet. Where did I say it was looking good for this year, price wise?

Its not just a price issue, lack of choice is a major problem as well.

If you dont want a curved screen, and it seems few people do, what can one buy?

Plenty of people would not buy an LG, but what other OLED TV options are there?

Edited by Owen

TBH mate if someone gave me a curved Sammy I would be stoked with that, however would not buy one yet... not just due to the curve, but moreso price.

Give it a few years...

I think Samsung makes curved OLED screens too. At least in terms of brand names, there is an alternative to LG.

I've seen both TVs and can't see a justification for the huge price difference between the OLED and the normal TVs.

Unless I missed it, Samsung did not announce any new OLED TV's for 2014 at CES, that leaves them with a single curved 55" model, thats all.

The larger OLED models on display where prototypes with no expectation they would see production this year if ever.

Doesn't seem like there is much "choice". :no:

Edited by Owen