Sign in to follow this  
skin

Ces 2011 - Star Wars Blu-ray Announcement

So far, I've still only watched episode IV. At this rate, it'll be years before I get to see them all. :(

I'm the same,half way thru IV.

I'll get there one day.

It was huge back in the day.

We lined up around the block for Star Wars.

Paul.

Edited by Paul_

Hell: Star Trek have the prequel after the last movie and the consumer hasn't had a conniption fit over it.

I think though that owing to the time travel aspect, the Star Trek prequel is also a sequel to the earlier Star Trek movies...

And generally speaking, I got through Ep V last night - looks like the puppet Yoda has remained in the original trilogy - they just seem to have replaced the puppet Yoda from Ep I with a digital Yoda for the blu-ray release.

I think though that owing to the time travel aspect, the Star Trek prequel is also a sequel to the earlier Star Trek movies...

I am not really into Star Trek and really like the 2008 film because it was done as if writing a new series. The older films had so many fingers in the pie, it needed this fresh approach to the story. I hope they make sequels to that film.

And generally speaking, I got through Ep V last night - looks like the puppet Yoda has remained in the original trilogy - they just seem to have replaced the puppet Yoda from Ep I with a digital Yoda for the blu-ray release.

The puppet remains in V and VI. The new digital Yoda in I actually now looks better than the one in II and III with the cloth in II lacking the detail it should and that I now has.

Watched ANH last night, Obi Wan is a complete BS artist, he say's to Luke "i havent gone by the name Obi Wan since before you were born" what a load of crap his is still referred too as Obi Wan in ROTS even after Luke and Lea are born. liar!

Question to the star wars nerds fans out there, Obi Wan battled anakin so hard at the end of ROTS but near the end of ANH, he hardly puts any effort in the duel and then just gives up, was that to create a diversion for the gang to get back to the Millenium Falcon or was it because he has more power to teach and guide luke in his afterlife/holographic form then he does in physical form.

Another question, in ep 1, ep 2, everytime we see Sidious is that actually just Palpatine wearing a cloak playing for the otherside in his spare time, is Palpatine always sidious from ep 1 or does he only become sidious in ep 3 after Windu scars his face.

Edited by xrcist007

Watched ANH last night, Obi Wan is a complete BS artist, he say's to Luke "i havent gone by the name Obi Wan since before you were born" what a load of crap his is still referred too as Obi Wan in ROTS even after Luke and Lea are born. liar!

Question to the star wars nerds fans out there, Obi Wan battled anakin so hard at the end of ROTS but near the end of ANH, he hardly puts any effort in the duel and then just gives up, was that to create a diversion for the gang to get back to the Millenium Falcon or was it because he has more power to teach and guide luke in his afterlife/holographic form then he does in physical form.

Another question, in ep 1, ep 2, everytime we see Sidious is that actually just Palpatine wearing a cloak playing for the otherside in his spare time, is Palpatine always sidious from ep 1 or does he only become sidious in ep 3 after Windu scars his face.

Errrr, I'll see if I can dredge up some answers from my memory. Right, I seem to remember in making of stuff for ROTS, that George wanted that battle to be super spectacular because it was between two Jedi at the height of their powers. So the lamer battle in ANH can be attributed to the fact that Obi-wan is a bit out of practise, and Vader probably is too for that matter. Kind of a lame answer, but that's the best I can remember.

Sidious in Ep I and II is Palpatine wearing a big hoodie. You can see that he's just wrinkly and not scarred. So basically he's orchestrating the whole thing to:

1) Become Chancellor (Ep I)

2) Gain total control as Chancellor (Ep II)

3) Remain Chancellor/Emperor forever (Ep III)

With the obvious sideline of destroying all the Jedi in the process.

Palpatine is Sidious from the start. The way I see it is the deformity is his natural form(natural for a Sith Lord) and he can change his form to look more normal as he wishes. In the battle with Windu he uses the force attack as an excuse to change back to his normal appearance. This gives him a few benefits, he can now openly display his true form and it gives Anakin more incentive to turn in the emotion of the battle due to the false claim that Windu deformed him. Sidious was never in any harm during rebound force lightning attack as you can see the smile on his face(and he has plenty of power left to attack) as soon as his plan succeeded and Anakin decided to kill Windu which was the final nail to turn him to the dark side.

Cheers

So many theories. I always though his face looked reasonably normal in I, II and first half of III during his Sidious moments, just cloaked over with some shifty lighting and that the attack from Windu did leave him scarred.

The slower fight in IV is more attributable to special effects progression than storyline IMO, however I do remember an interview with GL at the release of I where he indicated that the improved light saber skills back in the day were there to show the 'golden age' of Jedi. Probably makes more sense, as Luke never really had much training, as opposed to the "younglings" who were flailing the things around as toddlers.

Mace Windu was such an idiot - if he hadn't been a f00l and tried to kill the Emperor on the spot and actually did what Anakin told him to then the Jedi probably would have survived! :angry:

Edited by XxDeadlyxX

So many theories. I always though his face looked reasonably normal in I, II and first half of III during his Sidious moments, just cloaked over with some shifty lighting and that the attack from Windu did leave him scarred.

The slower fight in IV is more attributable to special effects progression than storyline IMO, however I do remember an interview with GL at the release of I where he indicated that the improved light saber skills back in the day were there to show the 'golden age' of Jedi. Probably makes more sense, as Luke never really had much training, as opposed to the "younglings" who were flailing the things around as toddlers.

Well yeah, special effects and old dude aside of course! Oh, have you seen the deleted scene of Luke in Ep V cutting the sliver bar in several pieces (that bit is still in the comic)??? Obviously there's no actual bar there for him to hit, but look proficient with a lightsaber, Mark Hamill does not...!

It is his own power (the lightening) that scares him.

Yeah but he also went on to say that Luke really learned how fight from a crippled old man and part machine.

Mace Windu was such an idiot - if he hadn't been a f00l and tried to kill the Emperor on the spot and actually did what Anakin told him to then the Jedi probably would have survived! :angry:

Well it was inevitable. The Jedi had to die.

Well it was inevitable. The Jedi had to die.

Mace deserved death for his poor acting from episodes 1-3, not just because he ignored Anakin when he came to him and said "Palpatine is a Sith- he told me so"

Mace deserved death for his poor acting from episodes 1-3, not just because he ignored Anakin when he came to him and said "Palpatine is a Sith- he told me so"

And lets not forget his lazy sabre technique.

Anybody care to share their views regarding the LFE levels of the pod race in Episode 1 in regard to my (far from thorough) findings in another thread http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...p;#entry1747928

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Hmmm, can't remember specifically my thinking about LFE during the pod race, but I seem to remember that it wasn't all bad. Will have to have a look again and see. Generally I've been pretty happy with the sound mixes in the films.

Oh - I have been doing a fair bit of Audyssey tweaking though - I have a Denon 4311 AVR and a Denon 2012 blu-ray, and generally find that the default Audyssey settings are a bit biased towards surrounds. Hence I've been manually adjusting some channel levels by ear until (I think) there's a better balance between front and back. I haven't touched the sub setting since Audyssey did its thing though. Maybe you've got something similar going on?

Edited by dave_con

Hmmm, can't remember specifically my thinking about LFE during the pod race, but I seem to remember that it wasn't all bad. Will have to have a look again and see. Generally I've been pretty happy with the sound mixes in the films.

Oh - I have been doing a fair bit of Audyssey tweaking though - I have a Denon 4311 AVR and a Denon 2012 blu-ray, and generally find that the default Audyssey settings are a bit biased towards surrounds. Hence I've been manually adjusting some channel levels by ear until (I think) there's a better balance between front and back. I haven't touched the sub setting since Audyssey did its thing though. Maybe you've got something similar going on?

I found the pod race to be very well mixed.

In regards to your Audyssey, did you by chance follow the AVS thread about micing the space in front of the seating?

And lets not forget his lazy sabre technique.

You mean the scene where he said "Get me my lightsaber, the one that says Bad Motherf***er"

You mean the scene where he said "Get me my lightsaber, the one that says Bad Motherf***er"

:lol:

How cool would that have been to see BMF on the handle of his light sabre?

I found the pod race to be very well mixed.

In regards to your Audyssey, did you by chance follow the AVS thread about micing the space in front of the seating?

Yeah, I had read through hundreds of pages of the 4311 thread on AVS, and there were plenty of cross-links back to Audyssey there. I've also experimented with a few different calibration methods. Who knows - maybe it's right, but for my personal taste the surrounds were kind of drowning out everything else at times. Anyway, it sounds pretty nice now, and I still retain all the Audyssey goodness.

I'm a little disappointed Mace also didn't throw in, "Somebody get these motherf@$king Sith, out of this motherf@$king Senate!"...

Yeah, I had read through hundreds of pages of the 4311 thread on AVS, and there were plenty of cross-links back to Audyssey there. I've also experimented with a few different calibration methods. Who knows - maybe it's right, but for my personal taste the surrounds were kind of drowning out everything else at times. Anyway, it sounds pretty nice now, and I still retain all the Audyssey goodness.

I am only to assume that you have followed the advice on forums about measuring the space between the front row and the screen. If you have, then this is what happens: There is a history of HT enthusiasts running the surrounds (and SW) too hot dating back to the days of Pro-logic. When auto calibration systems came in, they effectively eliminated these errors, however listeners that were used to hearing their surrounds too hot were not happy with these 'correct' levels. Some bright spark came up with the idea that if you measure the space between the front seats and the screen, that a work around solution could be achieved to make Audyssey up the levels. By measuring this space, it tricks Audyssey into thinking the surrounds are farther back than they actually are in the room. Because it takes up to 8 places and then spatially averages the room measurement results, the level of the surrounds are increased to compensate for what appears to be a large room.

If in doubt, get yourself and SPL meter and run your own SPL measurements and set everything to +75dB/C/Slow.

I'm a little disappointed Mace also didn't throw in, "Somebody get these motherf@$king Sith, out of this motherf@$king Senate!"...
the way it should have been:

Too funny and a good find.

Just watched Ep VI last night - has anyone noticed the different audio cues in the original trilogy? I noticed in Ep IV that when Obi-wan is introduced, his howl to scare off the sand people has been changed, and in Ep VI, when Vader decides to off the Emperor, he now cries, "Nooo!"...

He just can't help making little changes, can he.

Just watched Ep VI last night - has anyone noticed the different audio cues in the original trilogy? I noticed in Ep IV that when Obi-wan is introduced, his howl to scare off the sand people has been changed, and in Ep VI, when Vader decides to off the Emperor, he now cries, "Nooo!"...

He just can't help making little changes, can he.

Huh? :blink:

Nah, no ones noticed... ^_^

JSmith :ninja: