Ces 2011 - Star Wars Blu-ray Announcement

But clearly not to the level they could have been.

I'm sure they would look better with a 4K scan, but we didn't get that, we got a 2K scan instead - the same 2K scan that was originally done for the 2004 DVD release. Even at 2K, the transfers are actually pretty good and I would not complain at all if it were not for the excessive used of EE. I would suggest taking a look for yourself before writing this set off as there are far worse box sets like LORD OF THE RINGS.

I'm sure they would look better with a 4K scan, but we didn't get that, we got a 2K scan instead - the same 2K scan that was originally done for the 2004 DVD release. Even at 2K, the transfers are actually pretty good and I would not complain at all if it were not for the excessive used of EE. I would suggest taking a look for yourself before writing this set off as there are far worse box sets like LORD OF THE RINGS.

+1, I think yorac's score of 2.7/5 for all the OT is really really harsh - I think these are 3.5/5 and even 4/5 or better in some shots.

I'v only watched Ep I, II and III and the AQ is excellent, but the PQ isn't much better than upscaled DVD's

Not a patch on the improvements in the Alien Quad, with those you noticed so much more detail

Watched TPM today and thought the PQ was very good. My least favorite of all 6 films, but I my youngest son and I were entranced with the extra detail! Weaves in costumes and hairdos (be them ridiculous or not) - Qui Gon's individual hair strands were discernable. Some soft shots including when the Jedi returned to Naboo, did not detract from a great overall presentation. Nice colours too.

The Duel of the Fates was awesome.

Just MHO ofcourse ^_^

Edited by 709er

I got caught up in all the hype and bought the Saga... Having only watched Episodes 4 and 5 so far I feel totally underwhelmed/ripped off - I was expecting soooo much more.

Surely that wasn't the best they could do with regards to the video quality? Without getting the laser discs out to check there seemed to be quite a few bits that were changed from memory and not always for the better. Both movies seem to have been "kidified/dumbed down" - or maybe I am just getting tooo old now...

I also have a repeatable audio drop out on disc 4. I still have the dvd box set sealed from when I bought it when it came out - I should have opened that instead....

am trying to keep my expectations low :D

ps for those interested, an interview here with the man behind the audio remastering

http://hcc.techradar.com/blogs/team-hcc/ex...lu-ray-28-09-11

The problem is mate they know they will sell no matter how they present them and that's why I bought the bare bones releases, did want to see them and did enjoy them again but on a dollar for dollar basis reckon the first 3 were worth the outlay and the second three are well over priced........... B)

we should know they will bring out 4k transfer in some years and make a killing on it. after that they will bring out a re master...then there'll be the directors cut.... -_-

I watched 4 and 5 on a 110" screen and have also watched Alien on the same setup. I would give the 2 Star Wars episodes that I have seen a VQ3 and AQ4.5 and Alien VQ4.5 and AQ5.

The reason I was so disappointed is that GL has sat on these movies for so long and the anticipation was so great and old movies like North by Northwest, Casablanca etc... look like they were made yesterday - SW mastering was not exemplary at all.

I agree they are the best they have been seen - even with their problems. Adding silly digital rocks and other "enhancements" just leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

I have bought the videos, laser discs and dvds and now BRs and yet I am not happy enough to use the BR episodes I have watched as demo material - which I was hoping for...

End of rant...

I agree they are the best they have been seen - even with their problems. Adding silly digital rocks and other "enhancements" just leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

I have bought the videos, laser discs and dvds and now BRs and yet I am not happy enough to use the BR episodes I have watched as demo material - which I was hoping for...

End of rant...

Yeh and it's just weird since it looks like the continuity person was asleep - in the next shot the rocks are gone, and when C3PO and R2D2 are out in the desert with the crash landed pod, the glow is different in two different scenes now.

GL is probably busy casting Star Wars the Musical!

Seriously, has anyone looked for the Easter Eggs? There was mention of some in the CES announcement.

The only one is the Boba Fett cartoon from the Star Wars Holiday Special. Haven't looked myself but its accesible through a picture gallery of Boba Fett.

Hooray, my set finally arrived this morning. 11 days after a set my friend ordered arrived which shipped at the same time (we got the shipped emails within minutes of each other).

Guess my set ended up on the slow boat rather than the fast one! :)

At least it arrived though and Amazon's perfect delivery record remains intact (for me at least)...

Hooray, my set finally arrived this morning. 11 days after a set my friend ordered arrived which shipped at the same time (we got the shipped emails within minutes of each other).

Guess my set ended up on the slow boat rather than the fast one! :)

At least it arrived though and Amazon's perfect delivery record remains intact (for me at least)...

I'm yet to receive mine! Glad yours turned up. Fingers crossed mine turns up soon - has probably visited Austria??

I'm yet to receive mine! Glad yours turned up. Fingers crossed mine turns up soon - has probably visited Austria??

LOL, a shipment from 2 days before Star Wars shipment has still not arrived so both ours may be planning to stay for Oktoberfest! :lol:

Got my Amazon US shipment today and watched ANH first up. PQ was nothing special.

The AQ on the other hand was a disaster. Regular pops and crackles which was really irritating. After investigating here I appear to have the AVR Sony 5300ES / Oppo 83 issue.

If it is the receiver does the Return to Base firmware update cost much?

I had some crackles and a buzzing sound before the word crawl on Phantom and New Hope... US edition of Star Wars... anyone else?

I had a buzz which started just after the word crawl, which would go away after a pause/play, but progressively come back. This was with a Denon 3310. I updated the firmware over the network and the problem seems to have been solved. It appears to be a reasonably common issue with the Denons (from what I read on avsforum) - at least its not the DTS Bomb that some Onkyo's are getting.

I was able to work around it prior to the firmware update by turning off the ADFM setting, and turning off the back surround, leaving it as a 5.1 setup rather than a 6.1 setup.

LOL, a shipment from 2 days before Star Wars shipment has still not arrived so both ours may be planning to stay for Oktoberfest! :lol:

Haha - trust mine to be tempted by the dark side, but miracles of miracles mine arrived this morning - first time I've ever received an Amazon delivery on a Saturday!! :D