Sign in to follow this  
ExplosiveAction

My Laserdisc Player Needs Repairs!

Hi all,

Does anyone know where/who can repair my Pioneer DVL-909 combo DVD/LaserDisc player? I turned it on just now after probably a couple of years of inactivity and when putting an LD in it whirrs painfully for ten seconds then spits it back out.

I'd love to get it back up an running! Will TV repair shops deal with these anymore?

I'm in Sydney suburbs (Sutherland shire area).

Simon

If a piece of equipment hasn't been used for a while, it is probably a good idea to start it up incrementally:

1. Power on and leave in that state for a few minutes.

2. Open and close the tray a few times without a disc.

3. Insert a disc and close the tray, but don't play.

4. Open the tray.

5. Close the tray.

6. Play the disc.

7. If it won't spin up the disc initially, give it a few more attempts.

When moving parts sit idle for a length of time, they "freeze up" a bit and need to be worked to loosen them up again. The player spits out the disc as a protection mechanism because it meets too much resistance on the first go.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I turned the player on with no disc and left it on overnight to warm the internals. When I got to it this morning and hit Eject the display said OPENING but the unit froze up entirely. It has a physical push in/out power switch so I turned it off and on again, ejected the tray, put an LD in and kept hitting stop to prevent it from auto playing. This didn't have an effect as as soon as the disc was in the player it started groaning again and after a short while ejected the disc. Perhaps the part of the unit that picks up or clamps the disc has failed.

I had my 909 repaired by Len Wallis once many years ago because of failed laser pickup. Cost me $500 and I bought it new for $1900. Not sure if they can still find parts for it after this long.

I had my 909 repaired by Len Wallis once many years ago because of failed laser pickup. Cost me $500 and I bought it new for $1900. Not sure if they can still find parts for it after this long.

Oh wow.. it only cost me $500 to start with in about 2001.

If there is a problem with the clamp, it usually produces more of a slipping sound than a groaning.

I expect the spindle motor bearings have "frozen".

A final option before taking it to a repairer is to load a disc, then power off the machine, open the case and try spinning the disc by hand for a bit. You need to remove power to the machine as the laser is dangerous to eyesight when the internals are exposed, not to mention possible electrocution.

Since I'm not sure whether the disc engages with the motor with the machine powered off, you might also have to try it with a disc removed and spin the motor spindle by hand.

I think you can still get these machines repaired, but it probably won't be cheap as they require careful adjustment and that means labour.

Just re-read your first post and see it is a LD/DVD combo player. Try loading and playing a DVD first as the disc has much less mass to get started. Persist until that is working and then try an LD. Those LD platters have a lot of mass to get moving and I'm not surprised that the motor is groaning after a couple of years of non-use.

My Pioneer 2950 enables a tray close option without play using the Eject button. If you press the Play button then it will close the tray and start playback.

Edited by IanD

If there is a problem with the clamp, it usually produces more of a slipping sound than a groaning.

I expect the spindle motor bearings have "frozen".

A final option before taking it to a repairer is to load a disc, then power off the machine, open the case and try spinning the disc by hand for a bit. You need to remove power to the machine as the laser is dangerous to eyesight when the internals are exposed, not to mention possible electrocution.

Since I'm not sure whether the disc engages with the motor with the machine powered off, you might also have to try it with a disc removed and spin the motor spindle by hand.

I think you can still get these machines repaired, but it probably won't be cheap as they require careful adjustment and that means labour.

Just re-read your first post and see it is a LD/DVD combo player. Try loading and playing a DVD first as the disc has much less mass to get started. Persist until that is working and then try an LD. Those LD platters have a lot of mass to get moving and I'm not surprised that the motor is groaning after a couple of years of non-use.

My Pioneer 2950 enables a tray close option without play using the Eject button. If you press the Play button then it will close the tray and start playback.

Hello again IAND

If you ever want to sell the 2950, let me know

I have a repairer in Adelaide who are a pioneer authorised repairer and serviced LD's always

Would love another 2950 in my collection

as with betamax, the more players the best chance to keep my collection viewable and more parts available to make 1 working machine out of 2 players

Hey guys

I picked up an excellent condition Pioneer CLD 1850 for $30 bucks yesterday

Going to get it serviced by these guys

ADEPT ELECTRONICS ADELAIDE

088269 6773

My father has taken our VHS machinery and other gear thats Pioneer and Panasonic there since the 1980's

Same people own it too.

Just rang them and they do services for $88 bucks and can fix some things on LD's for 100 to 200 dollars

Were one of if not the only place to service Laserdiscs in their prime time of the 1990's

Hi Simon

I'd check for any stretched rubber belts that are slipping, and possibly dying capacitors in the power supply, that might be causing problems.

If you find any loose belts, carefully take them out, and take them to WES Electronics at Ashfield, next to the Blockbuster, and they will have replacements very cheap.

Mark

I also purchased in 1998 "DVL-909" combo DVD/LaserDisc player brand new at JB-Hifi for AUS $2000 but had to repair it back in March 12 2004 due to the DVD part not playing properly. The repair was very expensive AUS $765.81 + GST AUS $69.63. The bonus of the repair was I was now able to have the DVD section play DVD-/+R disc which felt great.  Now with DVD/Blu-ray players costinginvoice-S0955451.jpg under AUS $100 it feels even more expensive. Pioneer Electronics Austraila Pty Ltd was the company that actual repaired the player at the service office located at 178 Boundary Rd, Braside, Vic 3195 PH:  (03) 9586 6380

I don't know if they are still there and repairing Laserdisc Players but I have an older 1990 model "CLD-3380" NTSC only both sides play Laserdisc player  that no longer plays. It only spins the CD and won't turn sides anymore. If anyone knows if somewhere near Prahran can fix it for cheap; I would be very happy.