Sign in to follow this  
PennyPacker

Interference From Lawnmower

Hi, my neighbour's lawnmover transmits RF (obviously from the ignition) that causes very annoying pixilation and sound pops and occasionally cancels out the TV signal completely. I live in a fringe area and we have a mast-head amplifier. Is there any sort of filter that I could install that would block the offending frequency?

Regards,

PP

try to optimise the location (including height), type and size of antenna before using filters.

Hi, my neighbour's lawnmover transmits RF (obviously from the ignition) that causes very annoying pixilation and sound pops and occasionally cancels out the TV signal completely. I live in a fringe area and we have a mast-head amplifier. Is there any sort of filter that I could install that would block the offending frequency?

Regards,

PP

I've always found putting sand in the carby a good way to stop it....

We have the same problem here....ain't it frustrating!

Is there any sort of filter that I could install that would block the offending frequency?

No.

The interference covers a wide range of frequencies including UHF, which presumably are your frequencies of interest.

If your antenna system has been installed correctly, with the signal to noise ratio optimised for your location, then you may have to just suck it up.

Like, it's not that the lawn mowing goes on all the time?

(I feel some of your pain. On an install in a difficult area yesterday, the neighbor started mowing his large lawn just after I started locating the antenna. I could not complete this until he finished about an hour later.)

Regards,

PP

There is a filter which may help. It's on the Bosch website and it goes on the neighbours mower, not your antenna.

Last winter I borrowed my neighbours Grey Fergy tractor / sawbench & the tvs were unwatchable while it was running,

however I have never had problems with my own mower.

Perhaps the mower is old or someone has replaced the spark plug suppression cap or carbon lead with a copper one.

What we call a real estate job - Contact a real estate agent and sell (sand in the carby is a little less subtle although just as effective)

Thanks for that sensible (not) reply Connect2go. I'm not quite ready to sell a property because of a neighbour's lawnmower that is only a nuisance every second week and then only for an hour or so.

It's actually electrical (impulse noise) rather than RF, but can affect receivers of all types.

Having a masthead amp makes the issue worse as the interference is also amplified.

As suggested, the problem is with the mower and that's where the fix needs to happen, probably with a new supression cap and/or lead.

It's actually electrical (impulse noise) rather than RF, but can affect receivers of all types.

Having a masthead amp makes the issue worse as the interference is also amplified.

As suggested, the problem is with the mower and that's where the fix needs to happen, probably with a new supression cap and/or lead.

Thanks for your comment mtv. I've just read a paper on the subject (http://www.ecse.monash.edu.au/staff/jeana/paperpdfs/2003/sura_ofdm_03.pdf) and mitigating the problem at the receiver end is very complex so by far the best and simplest solution is as you and others have suggested, fix it at the source with the proper suppression HT lead.

My neighbors 20 plus years old MTD (yardman) 38" cut riding mower has the old "flat head" design engine, NOT a newer OHV (over head valve) engine.  This mower affects our TV's and there is nothing we can do about it, except suck it up. It is sad to live next to poor people that can not realize the benefits of newer technology, everything just works better than something 20 plus yeas old.  It would make it much better for the entire neighborhood.  :)