Oppo Bdp-93

blairy

Hi guys, I own a US-model Oppo BDP-93 (bought last december) and the bluraychip.dk PRO kit. It was all working fine until installing the last official firmware release earlier this month. Now I am unable to switch regions. I've tried installing the PRO FW (both 1.0g and 1.0h) but I'm having that problem that seems to be quite common - TOP MENU, SETUP, RED and 9 turns on the player but the USB drive doesn't load. I have tried three different models of different brands and sizes - including a 4gb Sandisk one I bought just for this after reading that higher storage could be the problem, but nothing. There's also nothing connected at the rear port. I've searched, searched, found similar cases to mine but they were like from months ago and there seemed to be no solutions at that time. I've also tried contacting bluraychip.dk, but got no reply. Any new leads on what could be the matter here? Thank you very much.

Edited by immersed

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys, I own a US-model Oppo BDP-93 (bought last december) and the bluraychip.dk PRO kit. It was all working fine until installing the last official firmware release earlier this month. Now I am unable to switch regions. I've tried installing the PRO FW (both 1.0g and 1.0h) but I'm having that problem that seems to be quite common - TOP MENU, SETUP, RED and 9 turns on the player but the USB drive doesn't load. I have tried three different models of different brands and sizes - including a 4gb Sandisk one I bought just for this after reading that higher storage could be the problem, but nothing. There's also nothing connected at the rear port. I've searched, searched, found similar cases to mine but they were like from months ago and there seemed to be no solutions at that time. I've also tried contacting bluraychip.dk, but got no reply. Any new leads on what could be the matter here? Thank you very much.

Are you formatting it to FAT32 first? One with NTFS formatting won't be read.

Looks like a discussion on AVS Forums was just removed which confirmed the ability to downgrade/rollback firmware for the 93 with the bluraychip.dk PRO modchip.

If that really is possible, I can see a lot of people will be interested in this. Would be great to be able to keep up to date with firmware improvements but revert to ISO support when you need it.

Looks like a discussion on AVS Forums was just removed which confirmed the ability to downgrade/rollback firmware for the 93 with the bluraychip.dk PRO modchip.

If that really is possible, I can see a lot of people will be interested in this. Would be great to be able to keep up to date with firmware improvements but revert to ISO support when you need it.

The rollback option would be nice to have. Looks like Google didn't have time to cache any of the deleted comments on AVS. :(

Please let us know if you have any luck.

Anybody got a copy of the 1219 FW (last official version that supports ISO) or know where I can get one.

This is the version in my BDP93 currently, I haven't yet upgraded (and have turned off the auto update function too).

If it turns out that bluraychip.dk pro mod allows reversion this would be a nice one to have.

blairy

Anybody got a copy of the 1219 FW (last official version that supports ISO) or know where I can get one.

This is the version in my BDP93 currently, I haven't yet upgraded (and have turned off the auto update function too).

If it turns out that bluraychip.dk pro mod allows reversion this would be a nice one to have.

blairy

Try this link.

The rollback option would be nice to have. Looks like Google didn't have time to cache any of the deleted comments on AVS. :(

Please let us know if you have any luck.

Thanks to aHorseofCourse, managed to track down the details of how to roll back FW on the Oppo. I've tried it and it worked for me....YMMV. Obviously you'll need the FW you wish to rollback to (link on this page) and a bluraychip.dk RF mod (standard or pro).

And even more obviously playing around with FW is a risky business and can brick your machine...you're doing this at your own risk!!!!

If you'd like more info PM me or aHorseofCourse

blairy

blairy

Thanks to aHorseofCourse, managed to track down the details of how to roll back FW on the Oppo. I've tried it and it worked for me....YMMV. Obviously you'll need the FW you wish to rollback to (link on this page) and a bluraychip.dk RF mod (standard or pro).

And even more obviously playing around with FW is a risky business and can brick your machine...you're doing this at your own risk!!!!

If you'd like more info PM me or aHorseofCourse

blairy

blairy

Why not just post it here, this is DTV not AVS.

Why not just post it here, this is DTV not AVS.

Exactly djos ;many reasons to revert to previous firmwares in any case evidenced by the 7db multianalog db lfe problem thats just been id'ed @ avs ;) Were not allowed netflix apparently so why can that mob dictate rolling back or no :no:

That said I am still on 1219? like many possibly so understand any reticence ; for a possible few ... If they do the same for bd folders [identical quality to iso's ; stupid hollywood ] this method will be very important needless to say :puppeh:

Straight from the Bluraychip firmware programmer, apparently.

PM me an email address and I'll send you the PDF file that was posted as well.

STANDARD/BASIC MOD:

1. Disconnect ethernet, and any USB devices and power up the player with no disc in the tray.

2. When it displays "no disc" wait for approx 4-5 seconds, and press GREEN-2-2 on the remote.

3. Press "setup" on remote.

4. Scroll down to "Device setup"

5. Place the bar on "Firmware Upgrade"

6. Press RED-8-5-2-0 on the remote.

7. Exit menu again by pressing setup button, NOT the ok button.

8. Now you can downgrade the firmware with the use of a usb stick, just follow the usual instructions from Oppo.

PRO MOD:

1 Disconnect ethernet, and any USB devices, and power up the player with no disc in the tray.

2 Press "setup" on remote

3 Scroll down to "Device setup"

4 Place the bar on "Firmware Upgrade"

5 Press RED-8-5-2-0 on the remote.

6 In this menu, press 1-1-4 on the remote.

7 Exit menu again by pressing setup button, NOT the ok button.

8 Now you can downgrade the firmware with the use of a usb stick, just follow the usual instructions from Oppo.

Obviously you'll also need the FW you want to reinstal...link in post above. This link also includes the Oppo instructions for updating from USB which you will need.

NB: FW upgrades are not to be taken lightly, they sometimes brick your player. Do this at your own risk...or don't do it.

It worked for me, but I'm not aware of anyone else who has done this...succesfully or otherwise.

Cheers

blairy

Why not just email David direct and ask, he's always been a wealth of info and practical advice and always willing to help out where possible .

I didn't know anyone there but now that I do I'll shoot him an email and see what his response is and post back here.

Thanks

Pretty sure it's the only mod in common use. Merlin and Gatti use the same mod.

I thought that too, but he did once tell me he was having trouble with a few chips that failed, D.O.A. from bluraychip.dk, and had been sourcing them else where, same one, different supplier, dunno ?

Received confirmation from Gatti as follows:

Our PRO chips come from the same manufacturer as the bluraychip ones, so the downgrade procedure works fine using the same procedure.

I have just tested and confirmed it today.

The mod can also be done with the standard chip – follow the slightly different standard chip procedure.

Sweeeet :hyper:

Edited by pasadena

Our PRO chips come from the same manufacturer as the bluraychip ones, so the downgrade procedure works fine using the same procedure.

The mod can also be done with the standard chip – follow the slightly different standard chip procedure.

Another great result and support from David.

NB: FW upgrades are not to be taken lightly, they sometimes brick your player. Do this at your own risk...or don't do it.

It worked for me, but I'm not aware of anyone else who has done this...succesfully or otherwise.

Cheers

blairy

Disclaimer : Gatti Audio does not endorse making any unapproved changes or downgrades to Oppo firmware like those described above.

The procedure described has the potential to brick the player and any user making changes does so at their own risk.

Which reinforces what was advised in the instructions posted above.

blairy

Not quite true, the pro mod is from bluraychip, but the standard chip is the chinese copy. The chinese copy does not respond to the Green-2-2 keypress, as the original version does. The green-2-2 command inject keys to decrypt the firmware on the player. If you do this with the chinese version, you can risk bricking your player if Oppo updates the keys. They have not done that so far, and might never do, but it is a high risk to take. It is also mentioned in the disclaimer in the original pdf.