Then i found my matrix bluray boxset and it clearly has the B region marked on the box. So i thought here we go my favourite movie and its not going to work. It worked!!

Whats going on? I thought the U.S had a different bluray region to Australia. Is this a pure fluke ? does the player change region the first 3 times you use it?

Some titles marked B are region free and vice versa... same with some OS titles, the package labelling can often be misleading. Best to check sites like this, review sites, and there is a pinned thread here on DTVForum.

Enjoy the new Oppo. :)

JSmith :ninja:

Whats going on? I thought the U.S had a different bluray region to Australia. Is this a pure fluke ? does the player change region the first 3 times you use it?

What should happen ? If you put a wrong region bluray in does it just refuse to start playing? Does it play but skip scenes really fast?

Its a ntsc model so it should be region A and multi region abc bd discs only for sure sero. Its not a euro model is it ? Or youve got lucky and they sent you;

http://www.amazon.com/OPPO-BDP-93-3D-Multi...1490&sr=1-1

Feed it a region A and see what happens;player should have a logo on the back saying region A and region 1..Or its a mislabelled disc like they manage with some lossless ones as well.

Edited by cwt

I've got about a dozen discs that are clearly marked Rgion B (purchased in Australia) that play in my Region A Oppo and are clearly region free.

Of course there are some Region B discs that are truly Region B and won't play without the mod chip.

Depending on the size of your collection, instead of buying the mod chip, use something like AnyDVDHD to rip the Region locked discs to ISO files and store them and play them from an attached HDD. Not really an option if you've got scores of region locked discs.

blairy

Edited by blairy

I just tryed some aus dvds and got the wrong region sign pop up :) i thought about just buying the superdisk but it would **** me down the road if i buy a bluray and it doesn't end up working. So i bought the pro mod kit from gatti :) I think its well worth it.

You can tell the oppo is quality from the moment you open the box even the menus and setting it up are awesome. They really think of everything. :D

I just tryed some aus dvds and got the wrong region sign pop up :) i thought about just buying the superdisk but it would **** me down the road if i buy a bluray and it doesn't end up working. So i bought the pro mod kit from gatti :) I think its well worth it.

You can tell the oppo is quality from the moment you open the box even the menus and setting it up are awesome. They really think of everything. :D

That brought a smile to face...yes they really do think of everything :D

blairy

Is it just me or are others noticing HDMI hamdshake issues since last FW upgrade.

It seems to take much longer to get to home screen than it used to.

Hanshakes at movie start up are more noticeable.

Other night so many handshakes/screen flashes/audio dropouts that kids gave up tryinto watch a movie.

Also recently ripped some old HD-DVD's to BD format. Place the rips into an AVCHD folder and in essence they don't work when played over HDMI direct to TV and HDMI 2 to AVR. However they work fine when just viewed over HDMI2. Double checked and this is definitetly an HDMI handshake issue.

blairy

Is it just me or are others noticing HDMI hamdshake issues since last FW upgrade.

It seems to take much longer to get to home screen than it used to.

Hanshakes at movie start up are more noticeable.

Other night so many handshakes/screen flashes/audio dropouts that kids gave up tryinto watch a movie.

Also recently ripped some old HD-DVD's to BD format. Place the rips into an AVCHD folder and in essence they don't work when played over HDMI direct to TV and HDMI 2 to AVR. However they work fine when just viewed over HDMI2. Double checked and this is definitetly an HDMI handshake issue.

blairy

Hi Blairy, what did you use to convert the HD-DVD's to BD format?

Cheers, it's a shame I cant just plug my Xbox360 HD-DVD drive directly into my 83 or into a 93 (i'd buy one today if I could do that) to play my 80+ HD-DVD movies. :P

Edited by dJOS

Cheers, it's a shame I cant just plug my Xbox360 HD-DVD drive directly into my 83 or into a 93 (i'd buy one today if I could do that) to play my 80+ HD-DVD movies. :P

There will always be a need for a separate HD-DVD player: it's impractical to convert a complete HD-DVD title (including menus, extras, PIP features, etc) into an equivalent Bluray.

It is possible to readily convert the main HD-DVD feature into a format that will play on an Oppo and it is possible to convert all titles in an HD-DVD into a Bluray format with simple menus (with a lot more effort), but there are some gotchas and hurdles to overcome in the process and at this stage I'm not sure anyone has mastered authoring a PIP feature from HD-DVD (eg Harry Potter Goblet Of Fire IIRC) to Bluray yet.

Hopefully when the Oppo fully supports HD audio and PGS subtitles in mkv, then mkv could become a useful container. At the moment it is possible to readily convert an HD-DVD main feature into an mkv with multichannel LPCM and chapter support.

Edited by IanD

For non-demanding visual quality (eg kids) you could feed component from the Oppo to the TV: this should have no handshaking issues and should be close to HDMI quality.

For non-demanding visual quality (eg kids) you could feed component from the Oppo to the TV: this should have no handshaking issues and should be close to HDMI quality.

If you have deep colour turned on turn it off I had the same problem.

Or set my harmony one so they can use oppo HDMI2 via AVR for audio and video :winky:

blairy

Hey chaps/chapettes, hoping for some insight here.

Can't seem to get the oppo-93 pro-kit from bluraychip.dk to work on my oppo-93.

The oppo doesn't power on (no red standby light) whenever the kit is installed. I've followed the instructions religiously and have checked the connections many times. I've made sure the USB dongle on the board is secure as well.

Contacted Casper from bluraychip.dk but that bloke hasn't replied to me since my first email a week ago ... :(

The installation isn't rocket-science so I'm at a loss at where I've gone wrong. Anyway I've included a couple of screenies of the innards and hopefully you guys can point out where I've gone wrong.

http://imageshack.us/f/847/20110813202438.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/f/59/20110813202452.jpg/

Thanks in advance ^_^

Hey chaps/chapettes, hoping for some insight here.

Can't seem to get the oppo-93 pro-kit from bluraychip.dk to work on my oppo-93.

The oppo doesn't power on (no red standby light) whenever the kit is installed. I've followed the instructions religiously and have checked the connections many times. I've made sure the USB dongle on the board is secure as well.

Contacted Casper from bluraychip.dk but that bloke hasn't replied to me since my first email a week ago ... :(

The installation isn't rocket-science so I'm at a loss at where I've gone wrong. Anyway I've included a couple of screenies of the innards and hopefully you guys can point out where I've gone wrong.

http://imageshack.us/f/847/20110813202438.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/f/59/20110813202452.jpg/

Thanks in advance ^_^

The only thing that looks a little different from the instructions is the two ends of the front ribbon cable seem to have a little more of the blue ends exposed. Not sure if this is a minor spec change, an artifact of the photos, or potentially that they're not fully seated.

Presume it still fires up with the kit removed. If so, and the ribbon cable is fully seated, then it sounds like the kit is faulty.

I'll state the obvious and pls don't misinterperet :lol: why or what i say as it would only be the next logical thing to do, imo.

Your in Canberra, if all else has failed, can you make a bit of time to pop into Merlin and have a word to Ken, surely he'll be able to sort it for you . :)