Sign in to follow this  
bradp51

Time To Enjoy The 65 Vt20a

Good question. I've seen a number of reports about a yellow cast. And on my own 50" set, I do find a noticeable yellow cast with the THX setting, which is why I use the Cinema setting which introduces blue. If I were adjusting by eye for a neutral look with my set, I think I would choose a setting betweeen THX and Cinema.

I was watching the International Tennis Challenge tournament on Foxtel HD last week. On THX mode the yellow hue is really obvious & annoying. It looked far better on Normal mode.

I noticed from day one that my SXRD’s blacks left a lot to be desired, that’s why I stripped the set down and modified it, improving blacks by 70%.

The 70” SXRD has no flicker, no posterization (colour banding), no dither/pwm noise and a natural artefact free non digital look that no flat panel can offer.

Having owned both, I can confirm that the colour reproduction on the SXRD is poor by comparison to the VT20a

I was watching the International Tennis Challenge tournament on Foxtel HD last week. On THX mode the yellow hue is really obvious & annoying. It looked far better on Normal mode.

Is it variations between sets, or in the eyes of the beholder? THX looks absolutely fine on my Pana.

I think I read a post on here that you can just adjust your blue gain to +5.

This is what I have done, and it's practically erradicated the yellow tinge I also got on THX mode.

I think I read a post on here that you can just adjust your blue gain to +5.

This is what I have done, and it's practically erradicated the yellow tinge I also got on THX mode.

Normal mode uses the 'Cool' colour settings which pretty much gets rid of the yellow tinge & it looks more 'blue'. So yeah, blue gain makes sense.

I just rembered also that I just watched Zodiac on bluray & it also had the yellow tinge. Again watched it in Normal mode & made it better.

Is it variations between sets, or in the eyes of the beholder? THX looks absolutely fine on my Pana.

I agree... if you are used to cool settings, THX looks warm by comparison. But THX is pretty darn close to proper calibration and after a few hours, no longer appears abnormal. Actually, quite the contrary IMHO.

I have been fiddling around with the USB HDD function trying to get my old lappy drive to work. reformatted etc etc no go. No luck so far, out of 4 drives I have tried only one, an old IDE to USB casing works.

Its not ideal as I have to use a plug pack to run it.

Has anyone bought a USB to SATA adaptor powered from the USB socket that works? Brand please. :) I have a 320 GIG laptop drive I would really like to use.

Wierd part is this same drive and adaptor worked fine on the Samsung.

Bought an 8 Gig USB stick and that doesnt work either. Neither does the old 1 gig one

They are all recognised but when you try to format them the set comes back with a message that they are unsuitable.

This really is bullshit. If it works in a PC it should work on the TV.

Edited by graham johnson

I have been fiddling around with the USB HDD function trying to get my old lappy drive to work. reformatted etc etc no go. No luck so far, out of 4 drives I have tried only one, an old IDE to USB casing works.

Its not ideal as I have to use a plug pack to run it.

Has anyone bought a USB to SATA adaptor powered from the USB socket that works? Brand please. :) I have a 320 GIG laptop drive I would really like to use.

Wierd part is this same drive and adaptor worked fine on the Samsung.

Bought an 8 Gig USB stick and that doesnt work either. Neither does the old 1 gig one

They are all recognised but when you try to format them the set comes back with a message that they are unsuitable.

This really is bullshit. If it works in a PC it should work on the TV.

I found that the Samsung was more universal in terms of external media and sources. The Panasonic on the otherhand is very tempermental. I have a WD 1.5tb drive dedicated to the TV via USB and once it was registered by the TV it works fine.

I found that the Samsung was more universal in terms of external media and sources. The Panasonic on the otherhand is very tempermental. I have a WD 1.5tb drive dedicated to the TV via USB and once it was registered by the TV it works fine.

What SATA to USB housing did you use ??

What SATA to USB housing did you use ??

All my Western Digital external hard drives using USB are compatable with the Pana. The Hard drive comes complete ie one is a Mybook and the other is a 1 tb essentials.

All my Western Digital external hard drives using USB are compatable with the Pana. The Hard drive comes complete ie one is a Mybook and the other is a 1 tb essentials.

Ahhh OK, I was hoping to have one that could be powered from the USB socket so it turned off when the TV was off.

Do you actually find you use it to record much? I think I now understand why there is an option to turn the Display off in the TV menu. So you can use it as a recorder with no picture. Pity it will not wake up to record like a recorder can. You would have to leave the TV switched on all the time with the display off. :o

Ahhh OK, I was hoping to have one that could be powered from the USB socket so it turned off when the TV was off.

Do you actually find you use it to record much? I think I now understand why there is an option to turn the Display off in the TV menu. So you can use it as a recorder with no picture. Pity it will not wake up to record like a recorder can. You would have to leave the TV switched on all the time with the display off. :o

Hi

They both power off when the TV is turned off.

Hi

They both power off when the TV is turned off.

OK so the WD drives shut down (spin down) when the TV's USB/ the TV set is switched off?? If thats the case I will go and pick one up. Thanks

My LaCie 500gig backup drive doesnt do that. It just keeps on spinning till you shut the power off manually

I was somewhat hesitant to submit this. Hopefully this post does not contravene the rules and mores of the forum and its members. My apologies if so. It does seem, though, this topic has encompassed much flexibility which I have found welcome.

Received Bonus Pack today (6 weeks to the day).

Came in two packages:

1. Avatar 3D + 1 pair of rechargeable glasses.

2. HTIB - model: SC-BTT755 (It receives positive reviews and compares well with and beyond many HTIBs: http://www.whathifi.com/Review/Panasonic-SC-BTT755/ ).

It appears the HTIB speakers can only be connected (direct or wireless) to the included Bonus 3D BD player - and it can only be connected directly to the VT20A via HDMI (ARC) according to my enquiries.

I prefer to use a soon to be received Oppo BDP-93 and our RX-A3000 and speakers setup, as source components.

I would therefore like to sell the HTIB (unopened) to a prospective buyer.

I am told (officially) the full warranty can be transferred to the new owner via the detailed packing slip.

As far as I'm aware, there are none of these for sale in the "HT & 2ch Gear for sale" sections.

A "private" sale would be better than eBay?

I have posted here first - for comments, advice, suggestions etc.

Thanks for any input.

Nothing wrong with putting a price on it and trying your luck in the F/S section of forums. Occasionally people look for those type of things, but 95% of people around here are enthusiasts and would therefore be (no offence) not overly interested in HTIB's. eBay will probably get you a better price. Heck the price of Avatar alone was going for rediculous prices pre-christmas.

I was somewhat hesitant to submit this. Hopefully this post does not contravene the rules and mores of the forum and its members. My apologies if so. It does seem, though, this topic has encompassed much flexibility which I have found welcome.

Received Bonus Pack today (6 weeks to the day).

Came in two packages:

1. Avatar 3D + 1 pair of rechargeable glasses.

2. HTIB - model: SC-BTT755 (It receives positive reviews and compares well with and beyond many HTIBs: http://www.whathifi.com/Review/Panasonic-SC-BTT755/ ).

It appears the HTIB speakers can only be connected (direct or wireless) to the included Bonus 3D BD player - and it can only be connected directly to the VT20A via HDMI (ARC) according to my enquiries.

I prefer to use a soon to be received Oppo BDP-93 and our RX-A3000 and speakers setup, as source components.

I would therefore like to sell the HTIB (unopened) to a prospective buyer.

I am told (officially) the full warranty can be transferred to the new owner via the detailed packing slip.

As far as I'm aware, there are none of these for sale in the "HT & 2ch Gear for sale" sections.

A "private" sale would be better than eBay?

I have posted here first - for comments, advice, suggestions etc.

Thanks for any input.

I sold mine recenty on ebay for around $600+ net. This seems to be the price they go for

I sold mine recenty on ebay for around $600+ net. This seems to be the price they go for

Without the Avatar 3DBD - I presume?

I don't intend to include it.

It's a little vague on the present eBay listings - one mentions the Avatar Blu-ray is included - but is it the 3D ? ?

The others don't refer to it at all.

I got a PM asking me how much and I said $600.00 plus P&H. I requested acknowledgment and confirmation or otherwise - but nothing.

Jeez I loathe selling and buying used stuff unless I know them. :excl:

Without the Avatar 3DBD - I presume?

I don't intend to include it.

It's a little vague on the present eBay listings - one mentions the Avatar Blu-ray is included - but is it the 3D ? ?

The others don't refer to it at all.

I got a PM asking me how much and I said $600.00 plus P&H. I requested acknowledgment and confirmation or otherwise - but nothing.

Jeez I loathe selling and buying used stuff unless I know them. :excl:

No just the system

I'm looking at upgrading to the VT20 model ~ should I wait a few weeks for the new VT30 model?? I haven't found any of the specs or pricing yet.

thanx. :)

I'm looking at upgrading to the VT20 model ~ should I wait a few weeks for the new VT30 model?? I haven't found any of the specs or pricing yet. thanx. :)
Looks like the VT30 pretty much only adds a built in Twin Tuner PVR to the TV. Personally I'd be inclined to save your $ and get the VT20 and buy a separate PVR if you don't already have one.

I get the feeling that Panasonic (and possibly most TV manufacturers) have hit a bit of a picture quality hump in the development road (its pretty damn good) - hence the emphasis on stuff like 3D and inbuilt PVRs etc.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Edited by pgdownload

And to add to Peter's comment's, the VT will probably be the 2nd shipment of screens for Panasonic. they'll most likely lead off with the cheaper 'volume' sellers and then ship in the VT's after that. And if you want a 58" or 65" you'll have to wait even longer if their previous 4-5 years release schedule is anything to go by...

Your 'few weeks' could easily turn into 6-8mths +

Thanks for your replies!

I've looked around at some of the major retailers, and it seems that the VT20 model has pretty much dried up in supply, and the only stores that could get one in were wanting the full RRP, which ain't going to happen with me!

The news I've heard from a few stores seems to be that the new models are worth waiting for, and the prices shouldn't be to dissimilar to the current VT20 model.

I guess only time will tell. (hope I'm not waiting 6 months for it!) :o

Thanks for your replies!

The news I've heard from a few stores seems to be that the new models are worth waiting for, and the prices shouldn't be to dissimilar to the current VT20 model.

Interesting if the 65" is to be released in a couple of months. My Money is on July to Late August. This will coincide with Samsungs' larger tv new model release dates.

Pana historically have always lagged in release of their larger models.

Edited by Crist