Time To Enjoy The 65 Vt20a

any idea on a good price? any1 has been able to snag

I paid $4500 delivered in October last year. With BD player and 2 pairs of 3D glasses and the free Avatar 3D. Not sure what price they are now.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I paid $4500 delivered in October last year. With BD player and 2 pairs of 3D glasses and the free Avatar 3D. Not sure what price they are now.

Well done :excl: You must have got one of the best deals around. Beat us by miles. :)

Well done :excl: You must have got one of the best deals around. Beat us by miles. :)

A friend of mine wanted a new TV at the time and asked what I was buying. So when I did the deal it was for two sets. they were paid for separately on different days so it was not as if I was buying two but they did sell two tv's 2 days apart from one order so perhaps that helped with the price I got. I also did not buy extra warranty or any special "3D only Monster cables" they tried to sell me at the same time. At the time the next best price I had then was 4700 ea for two tv's.

Perhaps availability is keeping the prices up now. They should be cheaper now with a new model coming out. I would have thought closer to 4K.

Edited by bradp51

A friend of mine wanted a new TV at the time and asked what I was buying. So when I did the deal it was for two sets. they were paid for separately on different days so it was not as if I was buying two but they did sell two tv's 2 days apart from one order so perhaps that helped with the price I got. I also did not buy extra warranty or any special "3D only Monster cables" they tried to sell me at the same time. At the time the next best price I had then was 4700 ea for two tv's.

Perhaps availability is keeping the prices up now. They should be cheaper now with a new model coming out. I would have thought closer to 4K.

Yes indeed, you achieved great value.

And they talked up the HDMI Monsters to me as well (I think the 5 metre was R.R.P. $190.00). I was able to persuade them into including the cable and a discount off their in-house extended warranty so overall I feel OK; especially after I sold the Bonus Pack (except for the extra glasses and Avatar 3D) for over $500.00.

After reading up and sorting out the separate settings for 3D, I decided I needed a dedicated cable from the AVR to the VT20 and I was able to get another 5 metre hi-speed HDMI from the GGs for $40.00. (CREST brand) - which does as good a job as the Monster.

You are possibly correct in surmising that low stocks of the 65VT20 maybe keeping the price up but I see that Panasonic (Au) are still advertising them on their website at $5,999.00. As usual they're very cagey - they "have no information" on the release date of the VT30s. But, as you may know, they are already released and being sold (and reviewed) in Europe and the U.S. I did hear a rumour that because of lower sales of the 65" in OZ, the 65VT30 may not make it out here. Hope it's not true.

Edited by kendrew

Guest Burmy

Thanks to all for all the wisdom.

I am traditionally a fan of LCD, but am looking into a P58VT20 in the runout sales. (Cant find a 65)

I read with interest all the comments regarding FTA SD quality.

In my circumstance, the VT20 will be the "family" TV, and hence will be used for FTA about 75% of the time, but still require the top end for the remaining 25%.

All the retailers I have visited so far do not have the capability to use the FTA tuner, but instead plumb a common FTA signal via component, which obviously does not give any comparison at all.

I fully agree that with FTA it is crap in = crap out. However, I am interested to hear if anyone has compared the SD FTA quality of a Sony HX800 etc side by side to the VT20?

When viewing FTA on my old Sony 46", it cleaned up to the point that it was very acceptable. I really only wish to maintain or increase that level of quality.

Thanks,

Thanks to all for all the wisdom.

I am traditionally a fan of LCD, but am looking into a P58VT20 in the runout sales. (Cant find a 65)

I read with interest all the comments regarding FTA SD quality.

In my circumstance, the VT20 will be the "family" TV, and hence will be used for FTA about 75% of the time, but still require the top end for the remaining 25%.

All the retailers I have visited so far do not have the capability to use the FTA tuner, but instead plumb a common FTA signal via component, which obviously does not give any comparison at all.

I fully agree that with FTA it is crap in = crap out. However, I am interested to hear if anyone has compared the SD FTA quality of a Sony HX800 etc side by side to the VT20?

When viewing FTA on my old Sony 46", it cleaned up to the point that it was very acceptable. I really only wish to maintain or increase that level of quality.

Thanks,

I cannot give you a comparison between the HX800 and the VT20 but I can compare the 65VT20 tuner FTA with our Sony 60” SXRDs.

We were always satisfied with the Sonys’ processing of FTA SD. When we got the 65VT20 I immediately observed a degraded SD picture - quite unsettling at first; with waxy complexions, edge artifacts and other annoyances.

However, with our PVRs set to output 1080i with HDMI to the 65VT20 there was an immediate improvement in SD PQ - and so we very rarely use the TV tuner unless the PVRs are in full swing and our selected FTA service is not available through their tuners.

An aspect I noticed since getting the 65VT20 is the period earlier in the year when metro and regional transmitters were fine-tuning their available bandwidth to cope with the the additional digital services. Some of the PQ during that time was absolutely horrendous and would vary from hour to hour, day to day, depending on the source. Since adjustments appear to have settled down, most SD is quite acceptable - and has even improved from the inbuilt 65VT20 tuner.

An important point that has been mentioned in this and other forums is that sizes below the 65” have a better SD picture - with their reduced screen real estate. If you are going from a 46” LCD to a 58” plasma, you will no doubt observe differences.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Edited by kendrew

I had to post this.

Last night we watched the pageantry and precision of the Royal Wedding on the 65VT20.

I confess to being a loyal Royal and was enthralled by the entire presentation. Obviously I was biassed towards the extraordinarily executed pomp and circumstance. The intrinsics of the monarchical system do not escape me but I preferred to be a romantic last night.

On the 65 it was brilliant - even though we were on SD Aunty. I refused to watch the Commercials' crassness :winky: - and thank heavens the Chaser didn’t get a chance (my view B) ).

I don’t think any FTA of the occasion was in HD. A pity, it would have been the icing on the cake.

My son had some friends over for Friday night footy on the SXRD - but lo & behold - suddenly I noticed the HT was full and everyone watched the Royal Bash until the end.

I was not surprised that most agreed they probably wouldn’t have bothered if it hadn’t been on the 65VT20. :) :)

I had to post this.

Last night we watched the pageantry and precision of the Royal Wedding on the 65VT20.

I'm definitely not a royal. Thinks they are all parasites however I did have a looksy at the end on ch90 and enjoyed Dame Edna's commentary. Must say they did go over the highlights and the pq was outstanding especially the richness of the reds.

I had to post this.

I confess to being a loyal Royal and was enthralled by the entire presentation. Obviously I was biassed towards the extraordinarily executed pomp and circumstance. The intrinsics of the monarchical system do not escape me but I preferred to be a romantic last night.

On the 65 it was brilliant - even though we were on SD Aunty. I refused to watch the Commercials' crassness :winky: - and thank heavens the Chaser didn’t get a chance (my view B) ).

I don’t think any FTA of the occasion was in HD. A pity, it would have been the icing on the cake.

My son had some friends over for Friday night footy on the SXRD - but lo & behold - suddenly I noticed the HT was full and everyone watched the Royal Bash until the end.

I was not surprised that most agreed they probably wouldn’t have bothered if it hadn’t been on the 65VT20. :) :)

Yes a great TV, I was so impressed I started this thread. :D Still enjoying and even more now it s wall mounted.

• 4 weeks later...

I am not sure if I am telling people to suck eggs, but if you got the free home theatre system with the VT20, note that the Audio Return Channel to the blu ray player/amp works on ALL inputs, not just FTA tv. Just plug your Foxtel HD and PS3 straight into the tv's HDMI inputs & via ARC the blu ray amp will play the sound of whatever input you choose.

It's been some time since anyone posted settings for the VT20 series. A friend picked up a 58Vt20A yesterday, for $2500, including 2 pairs of glasses, 3D BD player, cables and 5 yr warranty, which seems reasonable. Can anyone recommend settings for it, that I can pass on to him? Or should I just suggest that he use the Pro 1 or THX settings. He's not exactly technically minded.

Edited by miata

It's been some time since anyone posted settings for the VT20 series. A friend picked up a 58Vt20A yesterday, for $2500, including 2 pairs of glasses, 3D BD player, cables and 5 yr warranty, which seems reasonable. Can anyone recommend settings for it, that I can pass on to him? Or should I just suggest that he use the Pro 1 or THX settings. He's not exactly technically minded.

The out-of-the-box settings on the VT20 are very close to the mark. THX is probably best for BD's and maybe use Pro for FTA (as there's no overscan option in THX mode). You need to enable ISF in "other settings" (I think it is) to utilise the Pro modes.

Andys.

The out-of-the-box settings on the VT20 are very close to the mark. THX is probably best for BD's and maybe use Pro for FTA (as there's no overscan option in THX mode). You need to enable ISF in "other settings" (I think it is) to utilise the Pro modes.

Andys.

Thank you. I'll pass it on.