Time To Enjoy The 65 Vt20a

Interesting if the 65" is to be released in a couple of months. My Money is on July to Late August. This will coincide with Samsungs' larger tv new model release dates.

Pana historically have always lagged in release of their larger models.

Hi all

I have been looking at the 65 VT 20A as well and today I found that supply is getting difficult but not impossible. JB HI FI reckon they have 1 display left and its a display model. Not keen. Good Guys have some and are keen to get rid of them. They offered me 4800 for the 65 inch. Bing Lee will match that if they get approval. I have yet to try Harvey but I know some of the stores here in Syd want to off load these as well. So its a bind because if you can get this set at a really good price it maybe worth it. I looked up some stuff on the 30VT and there are some nice cosmetic changes, internet app updates, but what I am more keen on learning is the specs of this Infinite black pro 2 panel. Any ideas? I guess it comes down to if a really good deal can be had on the 20VT otherwise its a wait for the 30VT. GG reckons they are getting new models in March, but who knows...

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what I am more keen on learning is the specs of this Infinite black pro 2 panel. Any ideas? I guess it comes down to if a really good deal can be had on the 20VT otherwise its a wait for the 30VT. GG reckons they are getting new models in March, but who knows...

The US usually gets them before we do, so we'll have to wait for some reviews to decide on PQ etc.

As for GG saying they are getting new models in March, I would be very very surprised if it were the 65" models. As I said previously, it's usually the volume sellers first to be released followed by the 'niche' models

The US usually gets them before we do, so we'll have to wait for some reviews to decide on PQ etc.

As for GG saying they are getting new models in March, I would be very very surprised if it were the 65" models. As I said previously, it's usually the volume sellers first to be released followed by the 'niche' models

I agree.

I am going to HH today to see what they can do, and to see if they are keen to offload this model. Either way if its at the right price then its still worth getting even if the 30VT was to be hitting shelves tomorrow...

D.

personnal opinions and guesstimates only

pros for waiting for new model:-

new models usually same price or cheaper than superceded

twin tuner pvr, pic in pic mmm...

software upgrades better media playability

maybe time for freebies when it comes out (bonuses)

cons:-

if you need a tv now have to get whats available

if you don't have a strong signal maybe compromised by twin tuner (two aerial inputs maybe)

more to go wrong with inclusion of pvr including firmware upgrades

personnal opinions and guesstimates only

pros for waiting for new model:-

new models usually same price or cheaper than superceded

twin tuner pvr, pic in pic mmm...

software upgrades better media playability

maybe time for freebies when it comes out (bonuses)

cons:-

if you need a tv now have to get whats available

if you don't have a strong signal maybe compromised by twin tuner (two aerial inputs maybe)

more to go wrong with inclusion of pvr including firmware upgrades

Agree.

HH have some and said they could do the 65 VT20 for 4600 with 3d Blu Ray. I can play the waiting game but its going to be interesting...

D.

It's interesting to see the price seems to have gone up for a change. Many of us (I think) got the set for under $4000 when you consider the value of the extras that came in the bundle.

Good point. I sold the 3d HTIB for around $600 plus all he Samsung 3d glasses so my set cost me the same as a Pana 50"

Good point. I sold the 3d HTIB for around $600 plus all he Samsung 3d glasses so my set cost me the same as a Pana 50"

Well i went into HH today to do a deal and I can verify that the order they placed in the hope I would go for it is the last shipment of the VT 20 out of Japan for this model. So now its a waiting game to see when the VT30 does make it to Aus. As it was the deal was way to expensive for me. I was not prepared to pay over 6K for a 65 VT20 with a Blu Ray, 2 cables and a cabinet, when I know this is all about to either be discounted or dropped. So I will continue to use my old 36inch CRT and wait for the new model. Hey my CRT is a classic!

I might go back in tomorrow because they did have a deal on the 58inch which is so much cheaper than the 65...like 2 K cheaper!

D.

Just cause you feed it 24P doesnt mean thats what will be on the screen.

I weakened and after measuring up my room realised that the 65 was to big. After a very good deal on the 58 VT 20A I ended up getting it. Very happy. I have yet to set it all up. Cant wait.

Super dumb question that I have is (as I am sure you guys will know) is there a method or recommendation in burning in the panel when I first use it?

What also are the recommended settings people are using? Is the THX setting preferred? Just trying to get some ideas. I am sure its been covered in this now massive thread! Thanks.

D.

\What also are the recommended settings people are using? Is the THX setting preferred? Just trying to get some ideas. I am sure its been covered in this now massive thread! Thanks.

D.

The THX setting is probably the best option "out of the box".

You could also try Persion Immortal's setting posted Here

I used his settings on my 1st pan plasma a 500a with good results; no harm in giving them ^^a go.

I weakened and after measuring up my room realised that the 65 was to big. After a very good deal on the 58 VT 20A I ended up getting it. Very happy. I have yet to set it all up. Cant wait.

Super dumb question that I have is (as I am sure you guys will know) is there a method or recommendation in burning in the panel when I first use it?

What also are the recommended settings people are using? Is the THX setting preferred? Just trying to get some ideas. I am sure its been covered in this now massive thread! Thanks.

D.

I weakened and after measuring up my room realised that the 65 was to big.

65 Inches is never too big. Tell me what you think in a month. I went from 28 inch CRT to a 50 inch PZ700 in 2008. It looked big for about a month. Now I have a 65 in another room that I sit closer to......makes the 50 inch look like a 12 inch portable from the old days.

I weakened and after measuring up my room realised that the 65 was to big.

65 Inches is never too big. Tell me what you think in a month. I went from 28 inch CRT to a 50 inch PZ700 in 2008. It looked big for about a month. Now I have a 65 in another room that I sit closer to......makes the 50 inch look like a 12 inch portable from the old days.

+1

For 3D I actually have to move my seat to within a 1.5 metres of the screen then the 65 is AWESOME

Could I ask how much you paid as I was thinking about one rather than 65".
Not really relevant these days. Supply has largely dried up and discount prices pre-Christmas just aren't around at the moment. Panasales in Clayton will deliver a Factory reconditioned one to Wimmera for $2830. Save $150 if you want to go pick it up yourself.

Otherwise your probably looking at $3500+ for a new one.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

The THX setting is probably the best option "out of the box".

You could also try Persion Immortal's setting posted Here

I used his settings on my 1st pan plasma a 500a with good results; no harm in giving them ^^a go.

Thanks

Will give these a go. Agree with the other comments re size. It does matter. I would have loved to have gotten the 65 but the budget was the real issue! Oh well next time...

Z.

• 2 weeks later...
Same here. :)

We still haven't done 3D though ours yet and we sit about 3.5 metres away - for 2D.

We used to sit that distance from the SXRD 60"s and it was good. Now with the extra 5" it's better.

I'm very interested in why you and graham johnson move so close for 3D?

Is that a typical distance for most owners?

Is it "because you can" - without say FTA digital TV artifacts/poor resolutions, etc.?

What about decent upscaled DVD?

When we previewed the 65" and 3D in the store, I deliberately stood about the 3.5 metres distance and was over the Moon.

Edited by kendrew

We still haven't done 3D though ours yet and we sit about 3.5 metres away - for 2D.

We used to sit that distance from the SXRD 60"s and it was good. Now with the extra 5" it's better.

I'm very interested in why you and graham johnson move so close for 3D?

Is that a typical distance for most owners?

Is it "because you can" - without say FTA digital TV artifacts/poor resolutions, etc.?

What about decent upscaled DVD?

When we previewed the 65" and 3D in the store, I deliberately stood about the 3.5 metres distance and was over the Moon.

Its all about being immersed in the 3D I find even at the movies if its a 3D movie I sit so that my viewing angle fills the glasses. It sort of makes it seem like you are in the movie. Effects jump out of the screen So you can almost touch them.

To each their own. Works for me. You seem more like just a movie viewer if you sit further away.

For 2D movies I sit 3 meters away.

Panasonic emailed me today that my redemption has been despatched. :)

Edited by graham johnson