Lcd/led Tv Purchased From Overseas

If I purchase a LCD/LED TV with built-in digital tuner, would I be able to receive digital channels in Australia?

Depends where you get it from.

American one's won't work as they use ATSC and only support 60Hz, no 50Hz support. NZ and Europe use 8MHz bandwidth instead of 7MHz used here, also they are limited to UHF only, with no VHF support.

TV's from any other PAL country (including NZ and Europe) will work if an external STB is used.

Depends where you get it from.

American one's won't work as they use ATSC and only support 60Hz, no 50Hz support. NZ and Europe use 8MHz bandwidth instead of 7MHz used here, also they are limited to UHF only, with no VHF support.

TV's from any other PAL country (including NZ and Europe) will work if an external STB is used.

Thanks Digitalj. Do you know if those sets purchased from Singapore works here without an external STB?

Thanks Digitalj. Do you know if those sets purchased from Singapore works here without an external STB?

Most of the models sold in Singapore for the digital market will work here in Australia, go down to Mustafa's in little india for the best prices. I did take a look at the HN store in Tampanies St 33 when they had there last promotion sale and the prices were still a little higher than here in Oz.

digitalj,

Whilst the home standards are as you say, it is cheaper for manufacturers to make a world standard TV because it reduces the cost of production. Even to the point where they use an IEC power socket on the TV so that they only have to supply a country specific power cord.

For example the Samsung 3-D models are DVB-T2/DVB-T capable along with MPEG-4/MPEG-2. It is the EPROM which controls the internal microprocessor which will specify the channel frequencies and bandwidths. The decompressor will recognise from the control codes in the signal what mode it should be in. The signal also contains the number of pixels/ line, the number of lines per frame, Progressive/interlaced and frame rates so that the display can be set.

The best advice is to try the installation menu of the TV in the shop to see if it has a country select which includes Australia. If not just make sure that it has at least one HDMI input.

Singapore has HD TV identical to hours on band 3. The even had a 3-D trial when we did no doubt using MPEG-4. Their UHF channels are 8 MHz spaced instead of our 7 MHz spacing.

AlanH

digitalj

Go to the internet sites in the UK for example and look at the specifications in the back of their instruction manuals. Every one I have looked at have VHF tuners so that they will operate in Europe. Remember that the UK has no VHF TV. The Europeans also have mandated that all TVs on scale must be able to decompress MPEG-4.

The US sites use very similar model numbers but they do not mention if the will operate on 25 frame/s systems.

It is more difficult to check Japanese & some South American sites, however from those sites an Australian STB will be required.

AlanH

That's all very well, but the UK and Europe use 8MHz channels as opposed to our 7MHz channels. While manufactures may use the same hardware, you will find that they have most likely disabled or hidden options to change parameters like bandwidth, e.g. I have a Panasonic TH-P42G10A which is the equivalent of the TC-P42G10 in Europe, in the menu of my tv, there are no options for bandwidth and it also isn't specified to do anything other than 7MHz.

Despite that, it is always possible that mine may do 8MHz and the other 7MHz as well, but as these are not documented anywhere, it is better to assume that such "features" are non-existent.

As I said before "better safe than sorry".