Jvc X3, X7 And X9 Info

Getting rather tempted to pick up one of these units. In 3D mode I have read that gamma defaults to 1.4-1.5. Can this be overridden for folks like me with smaller high gain screens, who don't want or need the higher light output and would like a D6500 temp & Gamma at 2.3-2.4 and max CR for 3D?

Thanks.

Edit: Can be done on the X7 & X9(re edit :perhaps not..not confirmed) but not on the X3

ahhh.... the dreaded upgraditis :lol:

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ahhh.... the dreaded upgraditis :lol:

Damn pain ain't it! :D

Trying to justify that with 2 screens, a two projector set up might be just the ticket as a lens memory is not yet available on these units. This upgraditis bug is one cunning virus.....has devious ways of manupilating the mind. :lol:

But sanity may yet prevail, I'm reading that at least on the X3/RS40 picture noise increases and CR drops by 50% when in 3D mode........let's see what it's like on the X7 & X9.....before swallowing the hook.

I got to calibrate an X3 today. It looked very good after with an almost perfect flat grey scale. The owner seemed very happy which is all that matters :)

So anyway, I also tested out some more 3D and it seems that this projector automatically switches to high lamp for 3D to compensate for the light loss when wearing the glasses.

I got to calibrate an X3 today. It looked very good after with an almost perfect flat grey scale. The owner seemed very happy which is all that matters :)

So anyway, I also tested out some more 3D and it seems that this projector automatically switches to high lamp for 3D to compensate for the light loss when wearing the glasses.

.....and the iris opens up fully....dropping the on/off CR by 50%, can the iris be adjusted down for smaller screen uses if required?

.....and the iris opens up fully....dropping the on/off CR by 50%, can the iris be adjusted down for smaller screen uses if required?

Yes, the iris can be adjusted when in 3D mode. It's only the default 3D setting that selects high lamp and a fully open iris.

For anybody in Perth.

Got a call yesterday that West Coast Hifi in Midland have a X3 set up for demo.

They have 2 or 3 in stock, I think.

They only have the projector, they did get one or two pairs of glasses and one emitter but sold them already.

Picked up my X7 yesterday but looks like it's going back as the pixel alignment is out vertically so on a white horizontal line there is a red pixel above and green pixel below - this is after using the installation menu to move red as far down as possible and green as far up as possible - only seems to be noticeable in lower third of screen

Anyone had a similar experience?

Sharpness, black level and colour accuracy (in THX mode pre calibration) seem marginally better than my HD 950 as expected. The X7 is quite a bit bigger than the 950

Have not tried 3D yet - I hope the emitter works by reflection off the screen as the supplied cable is too short to run from PJ at rear of room to front screen

Just ordered Chromapure and one eye one pro and will calibrate for first time at 50 hrs

Picked up my X7 yesterday but looks like it's going back as the pixel alignment is out vertically so on a white horizontal line there is a red pixel above and green pixel below - this is after using the installation menu to move red as far down as possible and green as far up as possible - only seems to be noticeable in lower third of screen

Sharpness, black level and colour accuracy (in THX mode pre calibration) seem marginally better than my HD 950 as expected. The X7 is quite a bit bigger than the 950

Have not tried 3D yet - I hope the emitter works by reflection off the screen as the supplied cable is too short to run from PJ at rear of room to front screen

Just ordered Chromapure and one eye one pro and will calibrate for first time at 50 hrs

Convergence has always been a problem with every single PJ I've owned apart from the BenQ machines which display CA.

My X3 has convergence problems, but the pixel adjust is more than what I need to adjust so it has to go back to get done, or if they give me the code I'll do it myself.

3D is absolutely insane! Though has only seen monsters vs aliens.

As the globe and iris defaults to max could you try when in 3d mode to close the iris to -15, and then shrink the image/zoom in till the brightness is similar to when in 2D mode and let us know how large the image is please?

Thanks.

Edit....thanks anyway....but it seems one gets approx 200lumens from the viewers perspective with the iris on default mode, I'm guessing about 1/3 that with the iris at -15. The iris needs to be open for 3D if not insufficient brightness.

These brightness levels appear to be around CRT projection levels.

Edited by Highjinx

The X7 is being returned for factory alignment under warranty and a replacement unit is available for pickup today

Dealer made me an offer I couldn't refuse to exchange for X9 - so going ahead with the upgrade. I have a room that's very dark with dark brown curtains all down one side and across back wall so should see extra blacks offered on X9 plus it uses hand picked panels - higher level of QA too I suspect

The X7 is being returned for factory alignment under warranty and a replacement unit is available for pickup today

Dealer made me an offer I couldn't refuse to exchange for X9 - so going ahead with the upgrade. I have a room that's very dark with dark brown curtains all down one side and across back wall so should see extra blacks offered on X9 plus it uses hand picked panels - higher level of QA too I suspect

Drool...... :lol:

Lovely!....please post your impressions, like to know how you find the brightness from behind the glases in 3D mode.

Curious to hear if the 50% CR drop in 3D mode is apparent during viewing as well......perhaps, perhaps not. There will be absolute black level benefits as well, along with the 85% drop in brightness, black level when in 3D mode will be 85% darker. You may discover some psycho-visual benefits as well.....................look forward to your impressions.

Panels, optics, wire-grid polarises, (whole light engine) is hand selected I believe.

Lovely!....please post your impressions, like to know how you find the brightness from behind the glases in 3D mode.

Curious to hear if the 50% CR drop in 3D mode is apparent during viewing as well......perhaps, perhaps not. There will be absolute black level benefits as well, along with the 85% drop in brightness, black level when in 3D mode will be 85% darker. You may discover some psycho-visual benefits as well.....................look forward to your impressions.

Will do - the human eye (iris) will open up somewhat so the drop in brightness may not be that apparent. Reports from US seem to suggest plenty of brightness and the added CR with the X9 will help CR drop too.

Panels, optics, wire-grid polarises, (whole light engine) is hand selected I believe.

Thanks for the confirmation!

Picking up the X9 today!!!!

Will do - the human eye (iris) will open up somewhat so the drop in brightness may not be that apparent. Reports from US seem to suggest plenty of brightness and the added CR with the X9 will help CR drop too.

Thanks for the confirmation!

Picking up the X9 today!!!!

where are you getting your x9 from? I've been waiting patiently to see one in the flesh so i can decide if i want to drop the hammer on one and I keep getting told they aren't even in the country yet

where are you getting your x9 from? I've been waiting patiently to see one in the flesh so i can decide if i want to drop the hammer on one and I keep getting told they aren't even in the country yet

Just Klapp in Prahran (MEL). I think they only had one but still have an X7 'spare'...

There seems to be a shortage of X7 and X9 worldwide, you may have to be patient. I think I got lucky. When I picked up the X7 I said I was still tossing up over the X9 and when I called to report the problem on X7 an X9 had just arrived that morning so took the offer to upgrade.

moneys burning a hole in my pocket though... after hearing about the issues with the x3 and x7 figured id wait for the x9 to have a look at. I did ring hagemeyer after my local store couldn't give me any date on when it would arrive and they claimed they hadn't even seen their first shipment. Are Klapp importing them themselves? can i ask what price you managed to get it for as i cant seem to get any price indication locally (can pm me if it helps)

moneys burning a hole in my pocket though... after hearing about the issues with the x3 and x7 figured id wait for the x9 to have a look at. I did ring hagemeyer after my local store couldn't give me any date on when it would arrive and they claimed they hadn't even seen their first shipment. Are Klapp importing them themselves? can i ask what price you managed to get it for as i cant seem to get any price indication locally (can pm me if it helps)

\

My X7 and X9 both have Hagemeyer warranty cards inside and shipment stickers on boxes