Jvc X3, X7 And X9 Info

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RE 3D depth perception..........I wear reading glasses(not for movie viewing!) and had an interesting experience, I dropped my glasses, didn't worry about picking them up straight away and attemped to place a cap back on a pen. Well as the image was no longer in sharp focus my first and second attempt failed to place the cap on the pen properly.

This makes me think even more so that softening of the image for any reason at all will reduce the 3D depth perception.

BTW have any of the retailers got their stock yet.....and demos going on?

RE 3D depth perception..........I wear reading glasses(not for movie viewing!) and had an interesting experience, I dropped my glasses, didn't worry about picking them up straight away and attemped to place a cap back on a pen. Well as the image was no longer in sharp focus my first and second attempt failed to place the cap on the pen properly.

This makes me think even more so that softening of the image for any reason at all will reduce the 3D depth perception.

BTW have any of the retailers got their stock yet.....and demos going on?

Yep, we got ours setup yesterday. Just been watching Avatar and some footy (grand final) in 3D this morning. VERY surprising! It's running on a 120" OZTS Scope screen. Zoom method *gasp*

Yep, we got ours setup yesterday. Just been watching Avatar and some footy (grand final) in 3D this morning. VERY surprising! It's running on a 120" OZTS Scope screen. Zoom method *gasp*

What do you mean "very surprising" ? surprisingly bad ? or good ? :blink:

[/quote

Where is your showroom?

Still waiting on my X3 to arrive here. But to recap... any 3D scope films will NOT work an A lens correct?

Is vertical stretch turned off or greyed out in 3D mode? That would be what's stopping it from working..

I guess it's not a big issue as there are not many 3D scope movies out anyway.. Perhaps a firmware fix later on?

___

Given the size of these new JVC's are that of a small car, what shall we do about mounts? (I dont need one myself as I shelf mount, but folks will need one to fit)

Jason, did you say JVC are supplying a mount that fits it? Any info on that?

Otherwise what are the options?

Edited by oztheatre

has any1 heard about the issue regarding the X3's? i was just in my local store checking out the new X3, when i overheard the guys talking to the JVC rep about an issue that the JVC's are having with certain Panasonic player. Sounded like a line that was being fed but i was assured it would not delay the arrival of the X9, however x3's are going to be an issue for stock at the moment

I believe the X9's wont be in the country till early next year as the rep told me just yesterday

Our stores (BPP) had the first allotment of x3's come and go and the next lot aint due in till next week sometime (fingers crossed). X7's should be avaliable at the same time.

Still waiting on my X3 to arrive here. But to recap... any 3D scope films will NOT work an A lens correct?

Is vertical stretch turned off or greyed out in 3D mode? That would be what's stopping it from working..

It has something to do with the processor not being fast enough to run the 120Hz refresh needed for 3D. I'm sure they will fix it in the next batch, though they should be able to do this in firm ware.

I guess it's not a big issue as there are not many 3D scope movies out anyway.. Perhaps a firmware fix later on?

IMAX - Under the Sea 3D 16:9

Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs 3D Scope

Monster House 3D Scope

Monsters Vs Aliens 3D Scope

How To Train Your Dragon 3D Scope

Beowolf 3D Scope

And that's not including the up converted 2D stuff like Clash Of The Titans or any of the soon to BD releases like Tron legacy which is also 3D Scope.

Given the size of these new JVC's are that of a small car, what shall we do about mounts? (I dont need one myself as I shelf mount, but folks will need one to fit)

Jason, did you say JVC are supplying a mount that fits it? Any info on that?

Otherwise what are the options?

[Commercial Post]

These projectors seem to be about 500mm wide, so there fore I am gearing to release a revised version of the projector station. I already have the tech specs from JVC.

IMAX - Under the Sea 3D 16:9

Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs 3D Scope

Monster House 3D Scope

Monsters Vs Aliens 3D Scope

How To Train Your Dragon 3D Scope

Beowolf 3D Scope

And that's not including the up converted 2D stuff like Clash Of The Titans or any of the soon to BD releases like Tron legacy which is also 3D Scope.

What a thrilling selection.

Cloudy With a Chance Of Meatballs?

A must see.

What a thrilling selection.

Cloudy With a Chance Of Meatballs?

A must see.

I agree, not the most must see cinema around, however with the limited choice of 3D program, it is not like one has much of a choice if looking to be an early adopter for 3D at this time.

I agree, not the most must see cinema around, however with the limited choice of 3D program, it is not like one has much of a choice if looking to be an early adopter for 3D at this time.

The point is: with rubbish like this being the only thing to watch, why would you want to adopt, much less early-adopt?

I would think 3D may get a good run in live sports on TV or cable, but will struggle for relevance in cinemas, and hence on Blu-Ray, and hence with projection if the standards of available programme material are like this. People get headaches. Which is OK, until the novelty wears off, or until they realise the dregs on offer are as good as it's going to get.

Just about the only decent (that is: involving and interesting) 3D movie I have seen is Hitchcock's Dial M For Murder, and I only ever saw it in 2D! The message? A film has to be a good film in however many dimensions it is shot in.

Hitchcock realized this and never went to the trouble again. He went on to make Psycho, The Birds, North By Northwest, Vertigo, Rear Window, and a whole bunch of other movies designed to be shown on a 2D screen, yes, but mostly to entertain.

Meatballs mightn't be enough. Would 2D meatballs be just as tasty as 3D meatballs?

Who knows? As one critic said, "This film wasn't made for you, or me. It was made for dangerously, easily distracted 9-year-olds."

Edited by Alcheringa

What's the going street price on the X7's? (Damn - I bought Avatar 3D off Ebay...)

I made the jump yesterday. New X7 to arrive next week... (any of you 2D'ers interested in an 5 month old DLA-HD950? - Best offer over $4k)

I made the jump yesterday. New X7 to arrive next week... (any of you 2D'ers interested in an 5 month old DLA-HD950? - Best offer over $4k)

Great price and those looking for a top shelf 2D projector should not go past this baby.

The point is: with rubbish like this being the only thing to watch, why would you want to adopt, much less early-adopt?

I would think 3D may get a good run in live sports on TV or cable, but will struggle for relevance in cinemas, and hence on Blu-Ray, and hence with projection if the standards of available programme material are like this. People get headaches. Which is OK, until the novelty wears off, or until they realise the dregs on offer are as good as it's going to get.

Just about the only decent (that is: involving and interesting) 3D movie I have seen is Hitchcock's Dial M For Murder, and I only ever saw it in 2D! The message? A film has to be a good film in however many dimensions it is shot in.

Hitchcock realized this and never went to the trouble again. He went on to make Psycho, The Birds, North By Northwest, Vertigo, Rear Window, and a whole bunch of other movies designed to be shown on a 2D screen, yes, but mostly to entertain.

Meatballs mightn't be enough. Would 2D meatballs be just as tasty as 3D meatballs?

Who knows? As one critic said, "This film wasn't made for you, or me. It was made for dangerously, easily distracted 9-year-olds."

Regardless of the lack of 3D movies, these new JVC projectors should end up on peoples short lists because they're good projectors. They're just 3D ready, take that away, they're still the same as last years models with improved specs. The 3D thing is just an added bonus and taking into account last years prices, you're not paying for the 3D feature anyway.

I was hoping for a 2D to 3D conversion like the samsung tvs.

Getting rather tempted to pick up one of these units. In 3D mode I have read that gamma defaults to 1.4-1.5. Can this be overridden for folks like me with smaller high gain screens, who don't want or need the higher light output and would like a D6500 temp & Gamma at 2.3-2.4 and max CR for 3D?

Thanks.

Edit: Can be done on the X7 & X9(re edit :perhaps not..not confirmed) but not on the X3

Edited by Highjinx