Sign in to follow this  
Ralfi

Cricket: On Gem

Let's see how the cricket season kicks off this year.....on GEMHD at 8:30 in Melb. Not sure of other states.

Edited by Ralfi

Let's see how the cricket season kicks off this year.....on GEMHD at 8:30 in Melb. Not sure of other states.

The Australia/England rugby league game is on GEM now. Not sure if it's on in Melb however it looks like 5.1 sound has been disabled here in Newcastle

Rugby league looks ok for close-ups/medium distance. Not as good for wide shots.

2.1 audio though.....pathetic.

I am in regonal vic, and according to my tivo guide the rugby was not in hd but cricket is.. so i not real sure if that is true though...

Cricket probably not quite as good as the rugby, PQ-wise, but it's still ok - at least there's not much pixellation happening with fast motion pans.

Audio is still 2.1 - sad to see 5.1 is basically dead in this country.....

so i am guessing metro's do not have 5.1 either then?

Correct.

G'day,

There isnt even a HD watermark, in Melbourne anyway

No watermark, but it's HD in Melb. No doubt about that.

No 5.1 here in perth and im struggling to see much difference from ch9 and gem,if this is their HD cricket im not impressed.

Cricket on GEM/WIN from Albury wasn't HD. Didn't even look upscaled to me.

Though they keep playing ads for World of Sports saying it will be in glorious High Definition. If only.

Fox sports HD replay today was so much better i really think we only got SD last night on gem here in perth.

Does anyone know the situation with WIN and HD/GEM? I believe it's something to do with when the "playout centre" comes online for the various WIN areas. There is certainly no sign of native HD in my area at the moment.

If the problems being experienced by ABC and WIN (for areas that are switched through it) continue with the new playout, you may well wish that your WIN area remains as it is. Apparently things have been so bad that ABC managed to appear on WIN for a minute or two. :o

If the problems being experienced by ABC and WIN (for areas that are switched through it) continue with the new playout, you may well wish that your WIN area remains as it is. Apparently things have been so bad that ABC managed to appear on WIN for a minute or two. :o

I saw that on Media Watch also. There was also a mention of all (I think) WIN areas starting to use the new system in January. So I presume that means Albury with get native HD, all going well. And by the sound of it all may not go well.

So, another year of non-HD cricket for regional viewers. Luckily the SD picture is more than acceptable, but I still feel cheated.

When I've been poking around I have noticed that some sports events that had (prior to GEM) run on WIN HD here looked like native HD (that or a particularly impressive upscale).