Samsung B650 Lcd - Intermittently Wont Turn On

Hello Everybody.

Been a while since I been on the forums, nice to be back! Unfortunately not under the best of circumstances...

I have a LA46B650, 46" B650 Samsung LCD, 2009 model. Bought middle 2009. So far, couldn't be happier with it. I run SamyGo off a USB and stream HD MKV's over wireless all the time. Perfect.

But over the last week or so a problem has developed. Occasionally on coming to turning the tv on, sometimes it wont. The remote has battery that's not the problem.

In the instances when the TV refuses to turn on, sometimes the red standby light on the front is on and sometimes it is off. In either case it seems the only way to get it to work is unplug the TV power for a minute or so and then back in. After doing this it works fine. This has occurred around 4 times so far ~ over the last week and never before. No settings have been changed recently, no firmware upgrade, nothing.

I am aware that this used to be a problem in the earlier Samsungs, as in like 2008 and earlier, the L-N-M-K models etc, before the A-B-C models came around, but have not seen anything like this in the newer models.

I suppose the thing that I am conscious of is if Samsung offers a replacement with the current equivalent C650 model. I would not prefer this as although the PQ might be moderately better, with included DTS support, applications ("games") cannot be launched from a USB and therefore SamyGo wont be able to be used for streaming media.

I do have 5 year warranty on it so I can and will call Samsung on the issue, but wanted to get some other views first. Also if anyone has any input or experience on it, it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rajat

P.S. Those who may be inclinded to leave a comment along the lines of "Samsung streaming is crap - just get a popcorn hour" or some other streaming device etc etc.. please refrain from doing so. A 2010 Samsung tv with SamyGoExtensions running SamyGoExtensions is great, you should try it! lol :D

So I called up Samsung yesterday. Apparently as the TV is more than one year old, the manufacturer warranty has expired and therefore I cant deal with Samsung directly and have to go through the extended warranty providers. Called Myer who passed me on to U-Nited who deal with the extended warranty, got the relevant details and then today morning got a call from "A-One Audio". They said they would need to take the TV away and have a look and it would most likely take minimum 2 weeks if the part required is in stock, if not no idea. Was hoping the actual Samsung Support Plaza in Canning Vale would be the one dealing with the matter.

I wasn't entirely comfortable with that so just did a firmware update to the latest 2002 firmware which didn't support Samba Server so then re-flashed the 2001 firmware (I keep all the past firmware's on my computer). Not sure if that has actually factory reset it or not as favourite channels were preserved as well as picture settings. But at at least now if i turn the TV off I don't have to unplug it before turning back on. But lets see how long it lasts..

EDIT: Nope, its back to not turning on. Damn. Really dont wanna get the TV lugged away by them...

Edited by Rajat

Given that Its only a couple of months out of the 1 year manufacturer warranty would it be worth talking to Samsung insistently about it? Surely they expect $3000 TV's to last for longer than a year.

I'd be much more comfortable with a proper Samsung repair "plaza" dealing with it rather than some small car audio shop :unsure:

Given that Its only a couple of months out of the 1 year manufacturer warranty would it be worth talking to Samsung insistently about it? Surely they expect $3000 TV's to last for longer than a year.

I'd be much more comfortable with a proper Samsung repair "plaza" dealing with it rather than some small car audio shop :unsure:

Worth trying I guess.... As frustrating as this experience will be, don't forget, ask nicely....

What's this plaza u talked about here and prior? Samsung has their own service centre in Canning Vale?

Worth trying I guess.... As frustrating as this experience will be, don't forget, ask nicely....

What's this plaza u talked about here and prior? Samsung has their own service centre in Canning Vale?

I have epic exams coming up so I am just going to get my dad to do the phoning around and stuff. These sorts of things can drag on and on... The more I think about it, the notion that Samsung wants nothing to do with such an expensive TV merely 14 months after sale of it, seems quite ridiculous really.

I called Samsung yesterday to discuss the problem, that's when they said to contact Myer directly. I asked if under manufacturer warranty what happens, they said in that case it gets referred to their "Samsung Repair/Service Plaza in Canning Vale". I asked if they know about a "Audio-One Electronics" n they said its not the one they refer to and its not on their system

Edit: Is there some other place that people have been referred to for Samsung repairs besides these two places?

Edited by Rajat

It's the power supply, so why not just ask them to tell you now whether they have the part or not? Take the panel to them and pick it up if your worried about them collecting the panel.

Good luck.

JSmith :ninja:

It's the power supply, so why not just ask them to tell you now whether they have the part or not? Take the panel to them and pick it up if your worried about them collecting the panel.

Good luck.

JSmith :ninja:

Good advice, I'd do as JSmith suggests.

Does sound like the power supply, good luck with this problem, I have the 55" B650 bought from Myer with an extended warranty also. So I'll be interested to hear how it all works out for you Rajat.

• 4 weeks later...

I had exams so had to put this on the back burner for while.

Recently got back around to it. Essentially U-Nited cover said they cant get the repair from the authorised samsung plaza and has to be done through their nominated shop so I just grew a pair and let them take it. Anything goes wrong its them that have to deal with it, cant be bothered worrying about it.

So two guys from the shop came round today, packed it up in the original box etc, as we told them to. Had some trouble getting the screws out to detach the stand, they got unscrewed but woundt fall out.

I described the problem and one of them said yea sounds like the power supply. They took it and said we will be in touch, no idea on how long.

Lets wait and see.

@Wags: Ill post back on the experience as I get more info. But so far either I cant be bothered with it, or they were pretty good so far, one of the two im not sure haha

So two guys from the shop came round today, packed it up in the original box etc, as we told them to. Had some trouble getting the screws out to detach the stand, they got unscrewed but woundt fall out.

Thanks for the update.

Why did they have to take the stand off, with your original box it should have just sat in the bottom part and the top bit slid over the tv?

Anyways, hope all goes well with the repair, I'm sure it will.

Wags