Sctv Darwin

Hi

I want to know if anyone knows if SCTV will be showing all the shows we are going to miss because of them "legally" having to show the Commonwealth Games even though it is being shown on DDT also. I am assuming the channel will turn into repeats but I still reckon they are going to show a portion of first run shows that Darwin people are going to miss out on.

I know that it has to be shown on free to air for the tight-wads that won't upgrade to digital, but it is annoying when I have upgraded and have to endure the CG on two channels.

A few years back we got Channel 7 not SCTV, that was so much better than this hybrid channel we are getting now. It would mean AFL only being on once a night instead of the same game on both channels half an hour or so apart.

Not happy Jan missing out on Amazing Race.

Why is Darwin such a fake capital city, it sure seems like it, we can't get Foxtel, we have substandard television compared to our interstate capitals.

My two cents.

Hi

I want to know if anyone knows if SCTV will be showing all the shows we are going to miss because of them "legally" having to show the Commonwealth Games even though it is being shown on DDT also. I am assuming the channel will turn into repeats but I still reckon they are going to show a portion of first run shows that Darwin people are going to miss out on.

I know that it has to be shown on free to air for the tight-wads that won't upgrade to digital, but it is annoying when I have upgraded and have to endure the CG on two channels.

A few years back we got Channel 7 not SCTV, that was so much better than this hybrid channel we are getting now. It would mean AFL only being on once a night instead of the same game on both channels half an hour or so apart.

Not happy Jan missing out on Amazing Race.

Why is Darwin such a fake capital city, it sure seems like it, we can't get Foxtel, we have substandard television compared to our interstate capitals.

My two cents.

Because Ten here in Darwin only comes in a digital only station, SCTV has to show the games by law to cater for the people who haven't yet upgraded to digital. It is with my understanding that SCTV HD on LCN 70 will show normal seven network programming while the SCTV SD channel on LCN 7 will be showing the games. The same thing will happen in Tassie as Tassie also has a Ten network station that only comes in digital format.

So SCTV comes in both digital and non digital format, correct? Ten doesn't so that SCTV has to show the Games to those who have not yet upgraded to digital so that no one misses out on the Commonwealth games, not even those who has not yet upgraded to digital. I hope I have explained it clearly.

Edited by willwalk

Because Ten here in Darwin only comes in a digital only station, SCTV has to show the games by law to cater for the people who haven't yet upgraded to digital. It is with my understanding that SCTV HD on LCN 70 will show normal seven network programming while the SCTV SD channel on LCN 7 will be showing the games. The same thing will happen in Tassie as Tassie also has a Ten network station that only comes in digital format.

So SCTV comes in both digital and non digital format, correct? Ten doesn't so that SCTV has to show the Games to those who have not yet upgraded to digital so that no one misses out on the Commonwealth games, not even those who has not yet upgraded to digital. I hope I have explained it clearly.

I understand why SCTV standard has to show the Games. I only have standard definition via Austar Mystar. I will now have to miss out on my favourite channel 7 shows eg Amazing Race because I do not have high definition SCTV to escape to, therefore that is why I am complaining. I am hoping that the standard SCTV will then repeat the shows that have been missed during the time that the games are on as to be fair to the people that do not have HD. Luckily they have catch up TV nowadays on the internet but it isn't the same trying to watch a show via the internet with the buffering and also the picture quality.

I am wondering how many other people who are not overly interested in the games are going to miss out on their favourite shows too because of this legal stronghold that sport reigns supreme and you either like it or lump it.

I understand why SCTV standard has to show the Games. I only have standard definition via Austar Mystar. I will now have to miss out on my favourite channel 7 shows eg Amazing Race because I do not have high definition SCTV to escape to, therefore that is why I am complaining. I am hoping that the standard SCTV will then repeat the shows that have been missed during the time that the games are on as to be fair to the people that do not have HD. Luckily they have catch up TV nowadays on the internet but it isn't the same trying to watch a show via the internet with the buffering and also the picture quality.

I am wondering how many other people who are not overly interested in the games are going to miss out on their favourite shows too because of this legal stronghold that sport reigns supreme and you either like it or lump it.

Hmm you have a few options. Do you have a brand new widescreen TV? If so chances are it could have a built in HD TV tuner. Otherwise there are a a few options to consider. Most people I see in Darwin go out and buy widescreen TVs with inbuilt HD TV tuners, maybe you could follow that option if you could afford that option. Another option and it is a cheaper option than a new widescreen TV is to go out and buy a HD set top box. That 2nd option is worthwhile if you have a TV that is less than 5 years old which have enough yellow, red and white slots at the back of the TV whether you have that can hook to the HD set top box. A typical HD set top box depending on the brand could cost up to $100 or around that. If you have a old TV set maybe 5 years old or more, you'd be better off investing in a new widescreen TV with a HD tuner built in as old TV sets more than 5 to 10 years old or more don't have many yellow. red and white slots for the HD set top box.

Whether option you go depending on what you have, make sure the widescreen TV with integreted tuner or set top box is high definition as there is ONE HD, and a few more new channels like 7Mate and GEM coming to Darwin soon which will only be in HD, not SD.

Edited by willwalk

SCTV HD (ch 60) is being shown in SD at the moment in tassie whilst the games are on, maybe southern cross are doing the same in darwin for the commonwealth games?

Probably. So that means SCTV SD and SCTV HD are both SD channels, with SCTV HD on LCN 70 here reserved for normal programming and SCTV SD showing the games on LCN 7?

Probably. So that means SCTV SD and SCTV HD are both SD channels, with SCTV HD on LCN 70 here reserved for normal programming and SCTV SD showing the games on LCN 7?

It's a temporary thing and a one off. SC HD will be back to HD once the games are finished. By October 24 it will be renamed 7Mate, and will be a HD channel so a TV with integreted HD tuner or a HD set top box will still be required.

So just because SCTV HD is a SD channel now with normal 7 network programming does not mean that people should stop buying HD set top boxes or TV with integreted HD tuners because they will still be required to buy HD set top boxes or TV with integreted HD tuners if they want to watch 7Mate. This message is intended to clear up the confusion for Darwin viewers.

Edited by willwalk

My TV's EPG says for Monday October 4, it says SCTV HD will show the Commonwealth games on LCN 70, while the SCTV SD may show normal programming. EPG data may vary on different TVs and different set top boxes.

I'm really confused. :wacko: There will be a lot of confused people during the games. :wacko:

My TV's EPG says for Monday October 4, it says SCTV HD will show the Commonwealth games on LCN 70, while the SCTV SD may show normal programming. EPG data may vary on different TVs and different set top boxes.

I'm really confused. :wacko: There will be a lot of confused people during the games. :wacko:

It's the other way around here.

SCTV SD on LCN 7 is showing the games while SCTV HD on LCN 70 is showing normal programming but my TV EPG is saying SCTV SD is showing the normal seven network programming while the EPG also says SCTV HD is showing the Commonwealth games. Results on EPGs may vary on different TV and different set top boxes.

SCTV SD on LCN 7 is showing the games while SCTV HD on LCN 70 is showing normal programming but my TV EPG is saying SCTV SD is showing the normal seven network programming while the EPG also says SCTV HD is showing the Commonwealth games. Results on EPGs may vary on different TV and different set top boxes.

Shame Austar mystar hasn't come to the party and allowed us to have channel 070 for the 12 days it is being available in standard definition. It is soooo boring not having my usual channel 7 shows to watch.

Shame Austar mystar hasn't come to the party and allowed us to have channel 070 for the 12 days it is being available in standard definition. It is soooo boring not having my usual channel 7 shows to watch.

Kimmy247,

Hmm have you got Austar Mystar HD? If so chances are you could get SCTV HD through it but the price is higer than the Mystar SD.

Otherwise you are out of luck as it is a temporary measure to put 7 network programming on SCTV HD during the games. 7Mate is coming soon and that will be a HD channel on LCN 70. Your best bet is to get a HD set top box or a widescreen TV with a HD integreted TV tuner.

Mystar HD is broadcasting 70 with the usual 7 programming on it... but that doesn't help you if you don't have Mystar HD! You could always watch Channel 7's catchup TV online or via a PS3/Bravia Internet Video.

SCTV HD is running in standard Def for 12 days apparently. I rang Austar today and they reckon a reset of the box will give the channel. I will believe this if the reset works. But really the shows I was interested in I can catch up online and City Homocide has a 2 hour catch up next Saturday night and Amazing Race is on again on Thursday night.

So all is not lost, all I am really upset about is my choice has been taken away of what I want to watch. I think once everyone is digital they should have dedicated sport channels and then they could play normal television on the normal channels. I remember when being a kid sport didn't seem to be on as much when I only had 1 free to air channel to choose from, however in Summer cricket was on all the time never saw AFL or NRL though, good old NBN. Back in the old days eh remember back before reality TV took over all shows, not that I am saying I don't watch RT but they actually made TV shows back in the old days.

My TV EPG has been fixed. It now says normal seven network programming on SCTV HD LCN 70 and the Commonwealth games on SCTV SD LCN 7 in line with the station showing SCTV HD displaying normal seven network programming and the SCTV SD displaying the games. All fixed now albet it is only temporary.

Edited by willwalk