Just Got My 65" Vt20 3d Pana

You are talking cr@p.

I have seen the 65vt20 at HN and have played selected dark scenes I am familiar with and like the 63 7000 the 65vt20 performed brilliantly. Infact the blacks looked better on the 65 vt20.

Based on your comments on this forum You wouldn't buy any 3d TV as you have been trolling all the 3D TV threads and berating the technology at every opportuniy.

Sadly you are at it again..... at your trolling best. Therapy may be the order of the day. :P

I was commenting on the black level and the price difference on the two tv's so get over yourself CC. :P

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if you would have a link for the slides etc on the AVS forum please.

You say you didn't need to change many settings with the DVE BD. So which picture setting of the Pana did you find to be the most accurate? Some people seem to like "Cinema" and others "THX".

My 65" is due to arrive this afternoon.

Here is the link to AVSForum thread on VT's with the slides in the first post....

I have set up Professional 1 and 2 using the base THX as the starting point. I use Prof 1 for 2D and Prof 2 for 3D. I can see why some think the THX too yellow like others have posted but it is surprising how much we are influenced by personal preference settings we've got used to over the years. Until I got my Kuro professionally calibrated, I have always used cooler settings. At first I thought the ISF settings were too strong. But I got accustomed very quickly.

When I got my 58VT20, I got out the DVE disk and ran the settings discussion from the beginning. I was instantly surprised how the THX standard settings were the best looking on the screen where they show the wall of TVs with different salesroom settings. It stood out as the most natural. I no longer see THX as yellow at all but Cinema as cold and bright. It really is what you get used to.

As they say on the DVE BD DVD, what we should be doing is setting our TVs to reference settings so that the movie makers can then choose the mood of the movie. Even then, if you don't like that, you can always personalise your other settings. But I will always retain one reference setting and tend to use that for most viewing.

Enjoy your TV!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Here is the link to AVSForum thread on VT's with the slides in the first post....

I have set up Professional 1 and 2 using the base THX as the starting point. I use Prof 1 for 2D and Prof 2 for 3D. I can see why some think the THX too yellow like others have posted but it is surprising how much we are influenced by personal preference settings we've got used to over the years. Until I got my Kuro professionally calibrated, I have always used cooler settings. At first I thought the ISF settings were too strong. But I got accustomed very quickly.

When I got my 58VT20, I got out the DVE disk and ran the settings discussion from the beginning. I was instantly surprised how the THX standard settings were the best looking on the screen where they show the wall of TVs with different salesroom settings. It stood out as the most natural. I no longer see THX as yellow at all but Cinema as cold and bright. It really is what you get used to.

As they say on the DVE BD DVD, what we should be doing is setting our TVs to reference settings so that the movie makers can then choose the mood of the movie. Even then, if you don't like that, you can always personalise your other settings. But I will always retain one reference setting and tend to use that for most viewing.

Enjoy your TV!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Interesting, thanks for the link and the comments.

I've always calibrated my TV for the reference settings from DVE (originally DVD with horrible navigation and now a much better BD) So I'll probably like THX also but will calibrate after maybe 100 hours. I'm waiting for help to lift the TV and hope to set it up tomorrow.

Got my 65 today :D

Very happy at the moment - no buzz, maybe a slight flicker (out the corner of my eye). Only had it set up for about 2 hours - no other devices connected as of yet.

Couple of questions (I know they're probably already on DTV Forums somewhere and I know it all comes down to personal preference and I know each screen will be slightly different - so I apologize to people who may get annoyed by me asking again).

1) Is channel 40 in Melbourne still running - TV didn't pick it up. (getting 6 strength for other channels)

2) What inital settings are people running out of the box before calibration during the run in period? What other setting should I turn on/off, up/down?

Thanks in advance.

Interesting, thanks for the link and the comments.

I've always calibrated my TV for the reference settings from DVE (originally DVD with horrible navigation and now a much better BD) So I'll probably like THX also but will calibrate after maybe 100 hours. I'm waiting for help to lift the TV and hope to set it up tomorrow.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Pity you're not in Brissie. I'd send my Missus over. She very nicely helped me lift our 58 from the car to the lounge and then onto the stand with only a small amount of complaining!! But maybe the 65 would have stumped her!!!! :D :D :D

She's terrific, my ol' girl! :wub: :wub: :wub:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Pity you're not in Brissie. I'd send my Missus over. She very nicely helped me lift our 58 from the car to the lounge and then onto the stand with only a small amount of complaining!! But maybe the 65 would have stumped her!!!! :D :D :D

She's terrific, my ol' girl! :wub: :wub: :wub:

I have the added factor of removing the 95kg Sony from the stand before the Pana can be put in its place.

I was commenting on the black level and the price difference on the two tv's so get over yourself CC. :P

So you were commenting on the sets black level in store or dynamic mode :rolleyes: (must ignore troll...must ignore troll :wacko: :wacko: )

So you were commenting on the sets black level in store or dynamic mode :rolleyes: (must ignore troll...must ignore troll :wacko: :wacko: )

Black level Panasonic VT20/VT25 Out-of-Box 0.04 cd/m2 After calibration 0.03 cd/m2 Samsung C8000 / C7700 Out-of-Box 0,18 cd/m2 After calibration 0,06 cd/m2 as tested by flatpanelshd.com.That is also before the rise in blacks with ageing with the Pana so i guess they will finish up about the same.The 2008 Kuro was measured at 0,02 cd/m2 and here we are in 2010 with Pana buying up the Pio patents i don't think they have given us a display that justifies it's price.You never adressed the price difference issue between Samsung and Panasonic.Your good at pointing the troll finger but he who points the finger has three fingers pointed back at themselves.

Edited by ekkieTHUMP

The 2008 Kuro was measured at 0,02 cd/m2 and here we are in 2010 with Pana buying up the Pio patents i don't think they have given us a display that justifies it's price.

Aren't the Pannies screen size for screen size currently a fraction of the cost the high end Kuros sold for?

Aren't the Pannies screen size for screen size currently a fraction of the cost the high end Kuros sold for?

I bought my 60" Kuro 18 months back and at the time the Panasonic 65VX100 was around $2000 more expensive and I wouldn't have saved much on the standard 65" Panasonic.

I bought my 60" Kuro 18 months back and at the time the Panasonic 65VX100 was around $2000 more expensive and I wouldn't have saved much on the standard 65" Panasonic.

I've only spent 1 minute (yes 60 seconds) researching this, but I see the RRP of the Pioneer Full HD 60" Kuro (PDP-LX609A) is/was $12,499 - see http://www.pioneer.com.au/en/Products/Arch.../PDPLX609A.aspx

And the RRP of the Panny 65VT20A is $5,999 - see http://panasonic.com.au/products/details.cfm?objectID=5650

I don't follow street prices but I do recall the Full HD 60" Kuros were very expensive when they came out.

I'm sure there are people who can remember relevant prices off the top of their heads and may be able to help out here, taking into account newness of model etc etc.

Edited by MLXXX

I paid $8400 for my Kuro. I haven't really followed the price of the 65" Panasonic but I believe they had a decent price reduction between models.

The 65vx100 was close to $11,000 street price back then.

What the best price on the 58" 3D Pana?

Also on the Pana site, what does this mean in specs - Normal(Home) 253

As you have indicated in the forums that you are no longer considering a Plasma and want the Sony HX800 LED, what is the point on asking for pricing/info on the Plasma?

Just trying to save some time for everybody...

The 2008 Kuro was measured at 0,02 cd/m2 and here we are in 2010 with Pana buying up the Pio patents i don't think they have given us a display that justifies it's price.

What price are you looking for, for the 65" Panny VT20, Ekkie? I see Cummo paid $8400 for his Kuro, presumably a 60" Full HD, and the current street price for the 65" Panny VT20 is already drifting below $5,000.

Perhaps you're simply looking for price matching with a Sammy?

Plasma sets are a fraction of the price they used to be, and you are complaining.

A 65" VT20 might not have quite as good a black level in a darkened room, as the old 60" Full HD Kuros, but it has a bigger screen and already costs less than 60% of what Cummo paid for his/her Kuro. And 3D is thrown in as well.

Frankly, I don't see the point of a lot of your negative comments. You just seem to be stirring the pot.

Edited by MLXXX

Frankly, I don't see the point of a lot of your negative comments. You just seem to be stirring the pot.

That was my point. I have decided that from now on i'll ignore him...maybe he will grow up one day :rolleyes: rather than carry on like a mischevious juvenile.

Edited by CC Rider

Just checked out these at HN and my thoughts!!

VIErA TH-P65VT20A 65 $5999 (Nice picture but not enough 3D content on TV to buy early generation 3D TV yet).

Viera TH-P65S20A $3500 (Good value but sales person told me its the same as the TH-P65V10A model??)

VIErA TH-P50V20A 50 $2100 (I like the wireless feature to enable you to watch Youtube )

As I want a 65inch to use as Home Theater I will wait for the 65inch wireless to get a price drop.I currently use a 5 year old ,Sony KVHR36M31 Wide screen and yet to get into the Plasma LCD market.

Just checked out these at HN and my thoughts!!

VIErA TH-P65VT20A 65 $5999 (Nice picture but not enough 3D content on TV to buy early generation 3D TV yet).

Viera TH-P65S20A $3500 (Good value but sales person told me its the same as the TH-P65V10A model??)

VIErA TH-P50V20A 50 $2100 (I like the wireless feature to enable you to watch Youtube )

As I want a 65inch to use as Home Theater I will wait for the 65inch wireless to get a price drop.I currently use a 5 year old ,Sony KVHR36M31 Wide screen and yet to get into the Plasma LCD market.

Those prices are full retail.You should be able to buy any of them for a hell of a lot cheaper than that at any HN in the country.The 65 was advertised for $4499 in there catalog and plenty of people secured one for that price.

You can get the 65VT20A for a hell of a lot cheaper than $5999. The price I purchased it for even made the HN catalogue price stuff up look expensive! :D (although I got stung a bit on Extended Warranty).

You can get the 65VT20A for a hell of a lot cheaper than $5999. The price I purchased it for even made the HN catalogue price stuff up look expensive! :D (although I got stung a bit on Extended Warranty).

And your purchase price was????

And your purchase price was????

While I would like to tell you - I didn't get it through a shop as such - I got it through some connections I have. (Yes, you can call me whatever you like for not telling :D )

If you go over to Whirlpool - to the Panasonic Viera VT20 Prices thread - and read Ultimateflee posts I think you will be very surprised what you can get the TV for.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1517915

With the AUD so high, I would say you might even get a better deal in the next few weeks - it will just be stock that will become the issue.

Hope this helps.

While I would like to tell you - I didn't get it through a shop as such - I got it through some connections I have. (Yes, you can call me whatever you like for not telling :D )

If you go over to Whirlpool - to the Panasonic Viera VT20 Prices thread - and read Ultimateflee posts I think you will be very surprised what you can get the TV for.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1517915

With the AUD so high, I would say you might even get a better deal in the next few weeks - it will just be stock that will become the issue.

Hope this helps.

Go on tell them....envy is the spice of life :D

Did everyone who bought the V20A bundle get the 2 free 3D Blu-rays? Mine were missing and according to HN Wangaratta they had a memo from management saying that was a mistake. Which seems weird as they honoured the price of the TV and threw in the BD player and extra glasses.

I don't much care as I don't like animation but there is a principle. They said the will speak to the rep to see if he can do something.

At the moment I am tossing up between the Samsung 63 in and Panasonic 65 inch plasma. I just saw both side by side at HN at Campbelltown and the Panasonic had deeper blacks and perhaps more natural skin colour.

I do not see $1200 difference in price though. Samsung is much thinner. Pana has more presence and looks bigger and of course it is 2 inches bigger. I do not like the bezel as much on the Pana.

At Bing Lee prices were 3500 for Samsung and 4800 for Panasonic

I did not even ask price at HN