Just Got My 65" Vt20 3d Pana

Guest dwaynel
I can confirm 100% that Harvey Norman Cannington (WA) are honouring the catalogue prices. All the Panasonics had the same price sticker on them as in the catalogue, I asked the salesman and he said that they are honouring the price even though it's a mistake.

I was looking at the 65" and getting the details, he said 1 pair of glasses included in the TV and one pair with with free blue-ray player and blu-rays. I pointed out to him the sticker said 2 pairs with the blue-ray player, and he said no that's two in total. I asked him to go double check, he checked with his manager and said they would give me 2 pairs plus the one that came with the TV, so 3 pairs total. Was told extract glasses they would do for about $180, and 5 years warranty for $599.

Now I just need to decide between the 58" or the 65". $1K extra for the extra 7" is a lot, but that's the cost of the top model I guess :)

UPDATE: now HN Cannington have changed their minds. The TV's have had the catalogue prices removed and the "correct" prices put on them. They have a catalogue correction notice. Thankfully the salesman remembered me and honored the 65" at $4499.

They are out of stock of the 65"'s but more stock arriving mid next week. Bought one so very happy.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know if places like HN, Myer, DJ's will price match a receipt from another state??

Wouldn't think so in this case. If you can wait it out it won't take that long for them to come down to this price, or close to with bonus's at xmas time.

Maybe wait it out until next year - 72inch with kuros blacks - possible?

yes they may. I did it with Myer Southland and they price matched Myer in Sydney.

Sounds like you may have the same receipt I have?

How did the verify it?

Knowing that Myer has no stock at the moment - I went to DJ's. They didn't even blink an eye at the price. The problem was verification of the receipt.

Obviously when DJ's rings Myer - DJ's pretends they are a normal customer to see if Myer can do that price - Myer ask for the customer to bring the receipt in!! So that isn't going to work!!

Seems a lot of places in Victoria wont budge on price on the TV compared to our fellow states :(

Sounds like you may have the same receipt I have?

How did the verify it?

Knowing that Myer has no stock at the moment - I went to DJ's. They didn't even blink an eye at the price. The problem was verification of the receipt.

Obviously when DJ's rings Myer - DJ's pretends they are a normal customer to see if Myer can do that price - Myer ask for the customer to bring the receipt in!! So that isn't going to work!!

Seems a lot of places in Victoria wont budge on price on the TV compared to our fellow states :(

They didnt verify it.

I told them the best price I had, the guy brought it up on the screen, said wow, thats $5 above cost, however as its above what we bought it for we will sell it to you for that amount.

deal done.

He then asked, where I got that price, and said they don't verify it, but need to put it in the computer, I said Myer Sydney.

All good.

A message for Danny from streamaster regarding your inquiry (that originated from this thread), your reply email was incorrect. Just did not want you to think we were ignoring you :) as we tried to reply and it bounced.

In short the answer is yes.....and no....:)

I just ordered a 65" VT20 from HN Wangaratta, who made no argument about the catalogue price of $4499 with all the goodies. Delivery this Friday. This is to replace my Sony 70" SXRD which has severe yellow discolouration of the screen.

I'll have lots of questions about set-up etc as I intend using it with my HTPC. Would there be any interest in an Owners' Thread for this TV? I see there is one already for the 50"; maybe they could be combined.

got my freebies today.. Blu-ray 3D player and additional 2 pairs of glasses.. now have 3! They said they had run out of the free Ice Age 3D and Coraline movies. CBF arguing.. got the TV for $1500 less than retail..

Good to read it all worked out for you.

How are you finding the new set?

Can you please play the opening scene of the Dark Knight and tell me as the camera is panning towards the black glass building if the white building in the background suffers false contouring ie it begins to distort

This was there in my 65v10 so I'm wondering if Pana fixed the problem.

My P58VT20a does exactly that on Dark Night. Thought it must be in the movie. Now I will check my Kuro in the family room!

So the issue is still there :(

Sadly this is not the movie but it maybe a manifestation of Panasonic's 24p video processing artefact called false contouring.

My Sammy ps 637000 plays this scene flawlessly. This scene has always bugged me on all of my Pana sets. The worst I have seen it was with my Pana pz800A. The White building practically buckled over.

Edited by CC Rider

Okay... the Kuro doesn't have this issue... But you are right, turn off 24p Smooth Film and the building remains "stable" as a rock. On the other hand, this smoothing feature seems to make film presented in 1080p/24Hz as smooth as silk. While you've got Dark Knight in the player. watch the scene as the 3 clowns get out of the car and walk across to the bank. There's a light pole that judders pretty badly without the smoothing but passes across the screen very smoothly when turned on. I've never noticed any other instances of this shake as on that building at the start of Dark Knight. I'm not worried. I loved my Kuro but I love my VT20 too. I think it shades the Pio overall.

Edited by Pfeff

Okay... the Kuro doesn't have this issue... But you are right, turn off 24p Smooth Film and the building remains "stable" as a rock. On the other hand, this smoothing feature seems to make film presented in 1080p/24Hz as smooth as silk. While you've got Dark Knight in the player. watch the scene as the 3 clowns get out of the car and walk across to the bank. There's a light pole that judders pretty badly without the smoothing but passes across the screen very smoothly when turned on. I've never noticed any other instances of this shake as on that building at the start of Dark Knight. I'm not worried. I loved my Kuro but I love my VT20 too. I think it shades the Pio overall.

Yes the next scene I was going to mention was that re "the three clowns" :) you are very observant. but you're right if you are not concerned what the heck. :)

Edited by CC Rider

To those with the 65" screens, how far back from the screen are you sitting when watching HD content & SD content? After seeing one, I'm beginning to think my living room is too small to handle it.

i sit around 3 metres away. This is fine for bluray stuff. I find FTA is crappy this close given most main channels have gone back to SD. For 3d i like to site even closer as for some reason i dont find 3m to be emmersive.

I have the potential to drop the lounge back to 6m and FTA looks OK from there but too far away for everything else. Damn FTA with its poor quality

Edited by Freaky

Saw what are the faults with these 3D Panasonic TVs?

I saw the 58" one playing Toy Story 2 Bluray, it looks great but it kinda had a slight flicker, kinda when you set your computer monitor to a high res which is cant handle and it flickers a tad. Only saw it now and then but it was there. Whats up with that???

Is there a generally accepted running-in period for this TV for the PQ to become optimum? At which point I will run the DVE Blu-ray set-up disc.

I was very disappointed with the first few hours viewing. :( I didn't understand what people meant by flicker until I turned the set on, it was like the video was constantly trying to catch up. After watching bathurst all is good now either the set has run in or I've gotten use to it. :)

The AVSforum has a running in suggestion of using a series of full screen Colour slides in RGB and grey for 100 hrs. You can download them pics and run them as a slideshow. Plus a guy called dnice has posted som suggested calibration settings. I run mine overnight and while at work to run them up asap.

I haven't experienced any of the flicker that others are talking about. I may start a flame war by saying this but some of the new tools like IFC actually take out some of the artifacts reported by some although I agree that NR and some others do make the picture look crappy.

On the DVE bluray calibration disk, I've run mine early and surprised how little adjustment I have made especially to the colour settings.

Coming off and still owning a 50" isf calibrated Kuro, my 58" VT20 has an edge in my view.

The AVSforum has a running in suggestion of using a series of full screen Colour slides in RGB and grey for 100 hrs. You can download them pics and run them as a slideshow. Plus a guy called dnice has posted som suggested calibration settings. I run mine overnight and while at work to run them up asap.

I haven't experienced any of the flicker that others are talking about. I may start a flame war by saying this but some of the new tools like IFC actually take out some of the artifacts reported by some although I agree that NR and some others do make the picture look crappy.

On the DVE bluray calibration disk, I've run mine early and surprised how little adjustment I have made especially to the colour settings.

Coming off and still owning a 50" isf calibrated Kuro, my 58" VT20 has an edge in my view.

I wonder if you would have a link for the slides etc on the AVS forum please.

You say you didn't need to change many settings with the DVE BD. So which picture setting of the Pana did you find to be the most accurate? Some people seem to like "Cinema" and others "THX".

My 65" is due to arrive this afternoon.