Just Got My 65" Vt20 3d Pana

And WOW, the picture is beautiful. I purchased 58" v10 as the 65" was sold out, so I've been wanting it ever since.

The picture is a noticable step up from the v10, and surprisingly lighter so it can go straight on the wall.

The picture is brilliant for bluray and gaming, and the 3d is great, I just need my eyes to adjust as I have a 3d 50" there and I struggle to watch a whole movie.

This screen is the best I've ever seen (having owned numerous top model lcds, plasmas and projectors, although never the well respected Kuro) and highly recommend it. I paid $5200 - I'm sure you can get it cheaper but I think it's worth the rrp so I'm happy, so check it out if you get the chance

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder what the PQ of the S20 is like compared to the VT20 65 inch? How much of the $2,000 premium is just for 3D and other Viera Cast rubbish features?

http://panasonic.com.au/products/compare.cfm?objectID=15

I had a deposit down for the s20 @ 4k. This included 4 years extended warranty but no delivery. I scraped it as I managed to buy the vt20a for 5250 including 4 year extended warranty plus delivery. I also got a free 3D blueray player and extra set of glasses for this price so the difference to me was justified.

Keep in mind its not just a case of the vt20 having 3d. and paying a premium for that. It is a much better panel with many more features. I really wanted ISF calibration which the s20 doesnt have

Edited by Freaky

Care to elaborate?

TV material such as SD TV looks relatively softer compared to the Sammy. I think this is engineered by Pana for their large screen sets as their scaler is not as good as that in the flagship Sammy's when it comes to upscaling SD material. (Remember it is relatively softer not "soft")

Keep in mind its not just a case of the vt20 having 3d. and paying a premium for that. It is a much better panel with many more features. I really wanted ISF calibration which the s20 doesnt have.

And how much does getting someone in to do ISF calibration cost? You need to add that to the price also.

I don't think the panels (or the base picture quality) would be that different...Not $1,500 - $2,000 different, that's for sure.

Did you get to compare the V20 with the VT20 in person?

I just wish you could get the best 2D panel with all the calibration options without having to pay for 3D and multi-media garbage.

TV material such as SD TV looks relatively softer compared to the Sammy. I think this is engineered by Pana for their large screen sets as their scaler is not as good as that in the flagship Sammy's when it comes to upscaling SD material. (Remember it is relatively softer not "soft")

Not really an issue then if you upscale TV in a pre/pro rather than the TV.

I wonder what the PQ of the S20 is like compared to the VT20 65 inch? How much of the $2,000 premium is just for 3D and other Viera Cast rubbish features?

Just a note in case you had not picked up on it. :rolleyes:

The 63 inch Samsung Series 7 has 3D as well.

I just wish you could get the best 2D panel with all the calibration options without having to pay for 3D and multi-media garbage.

I'm with you, thats why i was torn between the s20 and the vt20. But it seems the common theme i'm hearing is that 3d tv's are providing superior 2d pictures due to the faster phosphores required for 3d.

Yeah I know, what's your point?

3D is not a selling point for me.

I was just reading between the lines. Seemed to me your were implying the Pana was extra money because of the 3D. That may be the case. And the same could be said of the Samsung.

So I just wanted to clarify that both had it.

And therefore the Samsung may ?? be better bangs for buck.

No offence meant. :rolleyes:

I was just reading between the lines. Seemed to me your were implying the Pana was extra money because of the 3D. That may be the case. And the same could be said of the Samsung.

So I just wanted to clarify that both had it.

And therefore the Samsung may ?? be better bangs for buck.

No offence meant. :rolleyes:

Oh ok, now I get what you meant. :D

Yeah, it must be hard for retailers to justify paying twice as much for a 2inch larger Panasonic than for the Samsung equivalent.

Thanks CC, I agree and would of said so myself.

Also the panna has too many jaggies and is very grainy at times for my liking.

The look of the frame of the tv looks great though, looks a massive tv compared to the sammy.

Thanks CC, I agree and would of said so myself.

Also the panna has too many jaggies and is very grainy at times for my liking.

The look of the frame of the tv looks great though, looks a massive TV compared to the sammy.

I was standing in front of the the 54 inch Pana and beside it was the 50 inch Pioneer (Yes Pioneer) just the other day. Yes the grain was in the Pana was really obvious. The Pio was outstanding, as one would expect!

Is there anyone out there that has got hold of one of these yet in Oz? Panasonic TH-P65VT20A ?

Care to give a review, price where obtained etc?

Mine is on the wall looking fantastic. Interestingly the 65" vt20 is lighter than my old v10 58", uses only one layer of glass to cut weight. I can't wrap this tv enough, amazing picture and size. I'm sure some won't like it, but for me it's close to my reference monitor I use for my Sony ex1 film camera quality wise. Just finished making my short film for Tropfest which stars Paula Duncan, and the 1080p transfer is magic on the vt20!

Edited by frozenblaze

I was standing in front of the the 54 inch Pana and beside it was the 50 inch Pioneer (Yes Pioneer) just the other day. Yes the grain was in the Pana was really obvious. The Pio was outstanding, as one would expect!

Have to concur with your observations Lyle, I have always owned Pana's b4 I purchased the 63 7000 and this was a bug bear of all my Pana's especially the SD stuff.

Mine is on the wall looking fantastic. Interestingly the 65" vt20 is lighter than my old v10 58", uses only one layer of glass to cut weight. I can't wrap this tv enough, amazing picture and size. I'm sure some won't like it, but for me it's close to my reference monitor I use for my Sony ex1 film camera quality wise. Just finished making my short film for Tropfest which stars Paula Duncan, and the 1080p transfer is magic on the vt20!

Don't doubt that you are impressed. Pana do make nice sets. I still warm to them despite loving my new 63 7000 Sammy. Who knows I may return to continue my love affair with Pana one day in the future :D But sticking to my Sammy for a while. Just tired of selling and buying a new set every 4-8 months.

I have a new 65vt20.

I noticed in store the sammys were looking better but i put that down to a store set up. might have been SD stuff, from memory.

the SD was super blurry. I had to turn resolution optimizer or whatever its called to max. looked a lot better.

At 1080i or p the set looks incredible. better than anything I've seen previously. I had an old 50" panna which looked great in not quite full HD which was why I was holding off and to my surprise I was completely blown away by the difference.

I have a new 65vt20.

I noticed in store the sammys were looking better but i put that down to a store set up. might have been SD stuff, from memory.

the SD was super blurry. I had to turn resolution optimizer or whatever its called to max. looked a lot better.

At 1080i or p the set looks incredible. better than anything I've seen previously. I had an old 50" panna which looked great in not quite full HD which was why I was holding off and to my surprise I was completely blown away by the difference.

How much did you get yours for?