Owners' Thread Panasonic Viera Th-p50vt20a

Guest TonyTD
I have a 30 watt lamp behind my tv (which sits in a corner) so it provides a fair amount of lighting as it reflects off the wall.

I Also have a small lamp tucked just behind tv at ground level !

Gives a very low amount of light on the wall

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll wait for the VT30 and hope some of these issues are dealt with.

Shame, as the sell out price for 50VT20 is spot on..

You're obviously looking for a perfect PQ - nothing wrong there - but you should be concerned about Panasonic's "dead" pixel policy. It means they will deliver screens with up to 4 multi-coloured randomly flickering pixels within the safe viewing area. I can assure even one of the bastards is intolerable. You have no recourse under the terms of the warranty. I'd be looking closely Samsung who appear to have a better policy, or contract that the retailer agree to replace the screen with even one "dead" pixel, or use a USB with solid colour images (such as the burn-in screens) to carefully test the actual screen you buy before accepting it.

You're obviously looking for a perfect PQ - nothing wrong there - but you should be concerned about Panasonic's "dead" pixel policy. It means they will deliver screens with up to 4 multi-coloured randomly flickering pixels within the safe viewing area. I can assure even one of the bastards is intolerable. You have no recourse under the terms of the warranty. I'd be looking closely Samsung who appear to have a better policy, or contract that the retailer agree to replace the screen with even one "dead" pixel, or use a USB with solid colour images (such as the burn-in screens) to carefully test the actual screen you buy before accepting it.

Yeah.. I'm probably guilty of that :) but I know it's not possible. Well the Kuro was close .

2 yrs ago I bought a top end Sammy that buzzed so bad the family wouldn't be in the same room.. I had it replaced.. it buzzed worse. JBs where good enough to exchange for Pana 50v10 ( which had the tag from c-net as best TV pre-viewed that year) only to lose its Editors choice and a star rating later that year due to the rising MLL.)

My V10 now looks like a washed out cheap lcd.. with serious IR

So I was asking the question as to VT20 owner opinions re good and bad points... I guess the buzz and judder are the big ones for me.

Scott_S does your VT20 Buzz, flicker excessively, or have blacks that float? or better still, what are the good points. I've only viewed this TV in store.

btw...thanks for the heads up on the pixel policy.

Scott_S does your VT20 Buzz, flicker excessively, or have blacks that float? or better still, what are the good points. I've only viewed this TV in store.

btw...thanks for the heads up on the pixel policy.

Buzz yes but the buzz sound level varies with picture brightness, so it is usually audible only with a quiet scene/program and a full frame white background - it is annoying but only for the time that a white background is present and if the program audio is moderate/loud, no problem. I understand it is an inductor in the power supply, which could vary from unit to unit.

Flicker - no problem for anyone in this family.

Floating blacks - no problem for us, but we came from a Sony CRT that (while an HDTV classic) had terrible float.

Apart from the one flickering pixel, which in my case is intermittent (about 30% of the time, no idea why) and the dodgy USB recording, this is a great TV. Setting it to THX and turning off a few enhancements gives a near perfect PQ (obviously my opinion but based on needing almost no change from defaults with calibration using DVE). The tuner is solid, and the HDMI ARC works well. I paid $2400 and was happy (apart from the pixel), so for the prices I see now it seems like a good buy. I still won't recommend it to anyone due to the pixel policy.

My 50" VT20A just died!

Had it for less than a week. Red light flashes for 10 times and won't turn on.

Panasonic said something's broke inside. But both Panasnoic and JB dont' have any more stock so I'm not sure what they will do. I think they will try fixing it.

My 50" VT20A just died!

Panasonic said something's broke inside. But both Panasnoic and JB dont' have any more stock so I'm not sure what they will do. I think they will try fixing it.

Mine lasted almost two months before developing a faulty line on the screen. It then took Pana and their contractors two months to tell me it was unfixable and to get me a replace set under warranty, unbelivable. For a while they had the TV longer than I had had it for.

My V seires from last year (2009) hasn't skipped a beat, however.

Mine lasted almost two months before developing a faulty line on the screen. It then took Pana and their contractors two months to tell me it was unfixable and to get me a replace set under warranty, unbelivable. For a while they had the TV longer than I had had it for.

My V seires from last year (2009) hasn't skipped a beat, however.

2 months to fix! Did you ask for any compensation?

It probably would have cost them a lot of money too trying to fix it. Was it through AWA?

• 2 weeks later...

hi guys, i need some help if possible. I will try to keep it as simple as possible as there are various things unique to my situation.

My in-laws just moved to a smaller placed and got the BTT775 and the VT50. The previous owner had pre existing connections. To make it 'easier' - which is turning out to be further from the truth :P - we decided to use these connections.

Anyway, I've got the following questions:

1. Is there a way to set up the sound such that when it's on digital TV uses the TV speakers and when playing DVD it uses the BT775 speakers?

I can't get ARC to work with the current setup because:

a. the preexisting HDMI wired in the walls is probably not 1.4 - when I connect the BT775 directly to the TV the ARC works well but when I use the existing connections, HDMI2 shows up fuzzy - noise basically.

2. I need to change the plug head for the Subwoofer to RCA plug. But every time I try to test a movie, it 'trips' the player turning it off. Any ideas what might be the issue?

Some DIY here because of the nature of the place so yeah. Thanks again for your help.

My 50" VT20A just died!

After 2 weeks, I finally got my 4th replacement (long story!) and the issue sorted.

JB Macquaire were great to deal with. They really tried their best, even for things that are not entirely their fault. I'll happily buy from them again.

Panasonic on the other hand, were not very helpful at all. Their 'in charge' person was very rude and really needs to learn a thing or two about customer service.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

What external USB HDD are people using successfully with the VT20A ? I have ongoing problems with the Buffalo drive recommended by Panasonic. <_<

It would be helpful if you could list the brand, model and size. Thanks.

FYI I have a Buffalo HD-CEU2 Drivestation. Its 2TB, but we only get to about 20% used capacity before it throws USB errors which requires reformatting to recover from. I have tested the drive using a laptop and it checks out ok.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

See notations in red. Test results are at Shutter Glasses Alternation Rate Of 50" Panasonic Vt-20 Plasma.

Off the top of my head:

I assume 3D 48Hz if selected for a 24p 3D source involves no interpolated frames. Each original Left Frame would be displayed twice. Each original Right Frame would be displayed twice. In an alternating pattern LRLR (i.e. L
R
L
R
, L
R
L
R
, L
R
L
R
, ...).
TEST RESULTS OF 13 AUG 2011 ARE CONSISTENT WITH THIS

I assume that 3D 60Hz if selected for a 60p 3D source (the Panasonic demo disc with the Blu-ray player includes some 720p60) involves no interpolated frames. Each original Left Frame would be displayed twice. Each original Right Frame would be displayed twice in an alternating pattern: LRLR.
NOT CONFIRMED: TEST RESULTS OF 13 AUG 2011 SUGGEST THAT THE PATTERN IS SIMPLY LR

With side by side 50i (e.g. the 3D test transmissions in Australia of Australian football and World Cup soccer), you need to select side by side manually. There is then no menu selection available for display frame rate. I assume each Left side deinterlaced frame (and there are 50 unique Left frames per second using 50i) and each Right side deinterlaced frame is displayed twice in an alternating pattern: LRLR.
NOT CONFIRMED: TEST RESULTS OF 13 AUG 2011 SUGGEST THAT THE PATTERN IS SIMPLY LR

Edited by MLXXX

• 1 month later...
I´m too but I´v got timer text problem -it shows the program before the recording...!!! anyone that can help out ???

Is your EPG showing the correct times?? Do you have your TV's clock on auto or manual?

Try manual and see if that fixes your timing issues.

• 2 weeks later...
The ads for the new panasonics show ABC iview. My VT20 still doesn't have it although I check for updates regularly. Does anyone knoow whether we will get it? It should just be a software update.

I got mine, although a little later than announced.

If you press your Viera Tools button, it should inform you of an update.

I got mine, although a little later than announced.

If you press your Viera Tools button, it should inform you of an update.

Thanks for that, it worked fine. Pity that it counts against download quota (normally my ISP, Internode, wouldn't count ABC iView). Still, I would only use it for things I forgot to record.)

• 2 months later...

My in-laws recently had their 50VT20A replaced under the last 5 days of warranty by JB. Couple of months ago it would take 5-10 minutes to boot up, and then it would sometimes display a white screen. Panasonic fixed it by replacing the 'A' board. Then last week the speakers started distorting at certain frequencies.

JB Chadstone were great to deal with, and offered to replace the TV. I suggested the 55" GT30 but they decided they didn't want anything made in Japan so went the 55" LGW6500 :(:unsure::blink:

• 4 months later...