Owners' Thread Panasonic Viera Th-p50vt20a

Hey guys,

Got a 58VT20A (i'd expect it runs similar software to the 50VT20?), does anyone know if it can be made to automatically switch off if it loses HDMI signal (from a HTPC), similar to a PC monitor?

-Steve

Also very interested in this. Anyone got it working like above?

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel a bit ripped off that we don't get timer recordings onto USB like overseas models do.

I'd love a feature like that!

We're stuck with just instant record :(

Why on earth would this not be available to Aust. models?

Could be that they fear their PVR's would become redundant. Samsung equivalent allows timer recording ,time shifting. I went from the 63C7000 to the 65vt20 and the lack of this feature was a tad dissapointing.

• 2 weeks later...
Personally, I would like to be able to make adjustments and this may determine whether I keep this system.

Did you end up keeping this system ? I received mine yesterday and have been comparing it to my previous system (while not exactly apples vs apples).

My older system was analogue pro logic, Sony SAVA57 (large tower speakers with the amp built in). Just been playing around with the new system today and have to admit the ability to alter the sound is very limited and more clumsy. As we both posted, you can increase/decrease the output level for the rear, centre & subwoofer only, and have those 4 sound settings to use...but that's about it. The only main thing I'm a tad disappointed about is the output volume. At it's maximum it's only half what my older system can push out, but it's not too often we give the speakers a workout, say when we're listening to music. But we'll hang on to this system for now. It's smaller, has the ipod dock, and the sound quality is more defined compared to the pro logic system. It's all a bit of a new experience since we have a real centre speaker now, rather then the synthetic one created by the pro logic system, and rear speakers that work independently compared to the Sony's being tired together.

Last thing to do is wall mount the speakers to free up more space...just gotta work out the best distance to have the front speakers from the TV.

Tim

Yes I did end up keeping the system despite it's limitations. After some more time and various Bluray titles I agree with your description of the sound being quite detailed. The lack of volume is, I suppose, to be expected considering the space for amplifier circuitry within the player but overall I have come to appreciate it for what it is - a decent sounding 5.1 system with very good HD Bluray reproduction.

Brendan

Hey!

I've had the VT20 for about a month and LOVING it. Waited for years for plasmas to catch up to CRT - they now have. I've seen the Kuro (50-inch) during Olympics, and saw pixels during the b/ball matches - the VT20 is better (imHo) :ninja:

Only prob's:

1. Full white screen leads to some buzzing (but that's also b/c sound is low to not wake the kids)

2. 3D (bundled Avatar BD) - great using the bundled glasses, fuzzy with the ones that came with the TV.

3. BIG problem for me - cannot connect to internet (wired, using cat6 cable) - fails at the gateway part of the connection test. Any ideas anyone?

As for the BT755: agree, very slow to load, took forever to get audio out of the ARC HDMI connections.

Edited by Phorm

I have been into the service menu, but did not check if you can adjust the overscan. Away from home ATM so can'c check for you. However, while calibrating with my DVE BD, I did notice that my 58VT is spot on to the disc's test pattern overscan. Of course, one think you should remember is that overscan off is the only setting where you get zero scaling of the picture and the correct dot x dot resolution. I have my overscan off for nearly everything and only need to activate it for the occasional side artifacts. C

If component is causing these for you, maybe your best bet would be to invest in another source that does not cause the artifacts???

OK - so how do we access the service menu?

• 4 weeks later...

I am new to the world of plasmas and just got my parents the 58VT20A.

Just wanting to know if there is any sort of burn in programs I should be using, and if so which mode to use them on, Standard, THX, etc???

I just got this TV yesterday. I don't have a blueray player yet, but want to try out the 3D capabilities.

I found a few websites with free 3d content, but I can't get them to work. Seems the playback support of the panasonic is very limited. Free 3D content for download here:

http://www.biohemmet.se/3dtrailers.php

http://3dguy.tv/downloads/

http://3dvision-blog.com

Questions:

1. 3D playback through USB. Has anyone tried this? What file format works? The TV doesn't recognise the files I've tried. .mkv, .mp4, .wmv

2. 3D playback through a laptop. Anyone got this to work? I've connected my laptop through S-video to the TV, but there's no 3D menu on the TV. It seems the 3D menu only appears under certain conditions

I am new to the world of plasmas and just got my parents the 58VT20A.

Just wanting to know if there is any sort of burn in programs I should be using, and if so which mode to use them on, Standard, THX, etc???

I don't think it's the usual practice these days to use burn in programs.

Avoiding "dynamic" video mode and otherwise leaving the controls at default ought to be safe for television viewing.

It's a different story using the TV for gaming or as a computer monitor. That is risky. In addition to avoiding "dynamic", best to keep contrast low, and use a screen saver. Temporary image retention can easily occur, and permanent patches of IR (burn-in), are also possible.

I tried AVI file through USB. It plays, but there are no options to turn on 3D. It looks like 3D is only supported through HDMI?

Are there cables that allow me to connect a computer/laptop through HDMI to the TV?

If a side by side (or top and bottom) 3D files plays with the USB stick, you should be able to select side by side (or top and bottom) manually with the remote control button "Viera tools", and changing the 3D setting.

If your pc has an HDMI socket you simply need a high speed HDMI cable. Otherwise your pc needs to have a digital video output (DVI-D), as most do. You can get a cable with an HDMI connector at one end and a DVi connector at the other (e.g. from Jaycar). Another method is to use a standard high speed HDMI cable (HDMI connector at both ends) but with a DVI to HDMI adaptor plugged into the pc. [HDMI Socket to DVI-D Plug adaptors are about $16.95 at Jaycar.]

Edited by MLXXX

I tried AVI file through USB. It plays, but there are no options to turn on 3D. It looks like 3D is only supported through HDMI?

I had to do a firmware update on my TV before I could get it to display the menu option to play 3D from a USB device.

I had to do a firmware update on my TV before I could get it to display the menu option to play 3D from a USB device.

Oh that's very interesting!

What version is your firmware? Mine shows 3.401 and when I try to update, it says it is up to date.

I'm going through Menu > Setup > Systems Menu > System Update. I haven't connected the TV through the net and I assume its searching an update through digital tv

I'm looking to replace my old washed out 50V10a with an end of model 50VT20a.

Could any owners comment on "floating blacks, 50hz pal issue, excessive flicker and rising blacks for the 50VT20a" which I've been reading about on the AVS and AVF forums.

I've noted most reviewers haven't raise these as problems.

I've got one on hold for $1325.00 (incl +4yrs warr) At that price it's looks too good to pass up.

I look forward to any owners comments.

edit: I also heard these models buzz!!??

Edited by GP11

I've never noticed anything wrong with my 50VT20A until I was watching The Social Network on Blu-ray the other night. Everytime it would go from predominantly light to predominantly dark, the letterbox bars at the top and bottom would lighten considerably, and it was a bit distracting. I believe this is floating blacks? Granted, I was watching it in pitch dark, and I was tired so probably taking more notice of it. Has anybody else noticed this with The Social Network? Particularly in the first scene in the bar.

I see floating blacks all the time when watching any episode of Vampire Diaries, Fringe, The Gates, Spooks, Being Human.

Any show with darks scenes in it.

Only at night time or early morning with little, or very low, ambient lighting.

It's ironic that it's at night time that plasma's are meant to be at their best, but I don't like this panel for night time viewing at all because of the floating blacks.

I see floating blacks all the time when watching any episode of Vampire Diaries, Fringe, The Gates, Spooks, Being Human.

Any show with darks scenes in it.

Only at night time or early morning with little, or very low, ambient lighting.

It's ironic that it's at night time that plasma's are meant to be at their best, but I don't like this panel for night time viewing at all because of the floating blacks.

Guest TonyTD
I just got this TV yesterday. I don't have a blueray player yet, but want to try out the 3D capabilities.

I found a few websites with free 3d content, but I can't get them to work. Seems the playback support of the panasonic is very limited. Free 3D content for download here:

http://www.biohemmet.se/3dtrailers.php

http://3dguy.tv/downloads/

http://3dvision-blog.com

Questions:

1. 3D playback through USB. Has anyone tried this? What file format works? The TV doesn't recognise the files I've tried. .mkv, .mp4, .wmv

2. 3D playback through a laptop. Anyone got this to work? I've connected my laptop through S-video to the TV, but there's no 3D menu on the TV. It seems the 3D menu only appears under certain conditions

I Downloaded some free preview 3D demos from a link on this site around Christmas time all but 1 played on a USB stick

It was of some motor racing at Spa circuit (I think)

I also had to change the Settings to 3D Side by Side, it was ok but not worth the hastle !

All the others were wrong format, dont qoute me but i think they need to be in Mpeg-2, i got fed up with trying to convert them. and Bought some more 3D movies to go with my 3D Avatar Bundle !

I'm looking to replace my old washed out 50V10a with an end of model 50VT20a.

Could any owners comment on "floating blacks, 50hz pal issue, excessive flicker and rising blacks for the 50VT20a" which I've been reading about on the AVS and AVF forums.

I've noted most reviewers haven't raise these as problems.

I've got one on hold for $1325.00 (incl +4yrs warr) At that price it's looks too good to pass up.

I look forward to any owners comments.

edit: I also heard these models buzz!!??

I just got my parents the 58VT20A ($2169 - delivered) last week and have been using this Plasma Break-In CD.

I cannot comment on any of the 50Hz flicker or rising black issues yet, but it does buzz... especially when a pure white image is displayed (Build date is SEP 2010).

Edited by MdMa

Do most of you watch in the dark? I have lighting on the back wall to the level recommended on the DVE set-up Blu-ray. Maybe that's why I haven't seen any floating blacks.

Like I said, it was pitch dark this one time, and I hardly ever watch the TV in very dark conditions. It's the only time I've ever noticed it. Doesn't mean I love it any less.

Do most of you watch in the dark? I have lighting on the back wall to the level recommended on the DVE set-up Blu-ray. Maybe that's why I haven't seen any floating blacks.

I have a 30 watt lamp behind my tv (which sits in a corner) so it provides a fair amount of lighting as it reflects off the wall.