Owners' Thread Panasonic Viera Th-p50vt20a

There is a single optical in on the btt755.

This can be used to connect another 5.1 source if you are willing to not run everything over HDMI.

Just a heads up, the btt755 won't decode DTS from the optical in, only from its internal bluray player.

I'm using my XBMC box to transcode the DTS into AC3 which it will decode.

Odd, maybe some licensing issue...

I'm no audio connoisseur, but the btt755 is noticeably better than the TV's own speakers.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a single optical in on the btt755.

This can be used to connect another 5.1 source if you are willing to not run everything over HDMI.

Yes I'm using the VT20A Optical O/P to feed audio back to the existing Yamaha AV. However my understanding is this o/p (like ARC) is stereo audio only; not a 5.1 stream, but a converted stereo stream by the VT20A. Meaning to say only a 5.1 audio stream (very rare) received by the DVB-T tuner will be passed as a 5.1 audio stream down these channels ( ie ARC and Optical), and any 5.1 audio source received via HDMI will be converted to stereo by the VT20A.

I'm no audio connoisseur, but the btt755 is noticeably better than the TV's own speakers.

Yes I would imagine so however I'm using the Orpheus speakers via an Amp; not the internal TV speakers

Just a heads up, the btt755 won't decode DTS from the optical in, only from its internal bluray player.

I'm using my XBMC box to transcode the DTS into AC3 which it will decode.

Does this mean the XBMC box is connected to the BTT755 via optical? and that's how you managed to get 5.1 audio out of the SC- BTT755 from a source other than the internal Blu Ray player?

I believe you are correct on the ARC / Optical out from the TV.

Only stereo from HDMI sources.

5.1 from the internal tuner if the channel has it.

Does this mean the XBMC box is connected to the BTT755 via optical? and that's how you managed to get 5.1 audio out of the SC- BTT755 from a source other than the internal Blu Ray player?

Yes. I have a zotac ID-11 running XBMCLive connected on HDMI3 to the TV. It also has optical from the zotac to the btt755.

XBMC is configured to send the audio to the optical out.

It sends AC3 / Dolby streams raw which the btt755 is fine with; and transcodes DTS to AC3 on the fly to get around the DTS limitation of the btt755.

1080p content with both DTS 5.1 and AC3 5.1 audio play just fine.

I have purchased the 54" of this model and will be receiving the SCBTT755 in due course as part as Panasonic,s promotion. I already have a 5.1 surround system powered by a Pioneer Amp and was wandering if i can just use the SCBTT55 as a stand alone Blu Ray player and plug it into one of my HDMI inputs on my amp and then switch the video to the T.V. and have surround sound through my existing speakers via the Pioneer Amp..

I have recently purchased a VT20A and the redemption is in the 'validated phase' Whilst I wait with baited breath I was wondering if anyone had hooked up their SC-BTT755 redemption BluRay player Surround sound system and how they find the quality of the sound?

The reason I ask is frankly I'm a little confused on exactly how this unit can be of any long term benefit as the SC-BTT755 does not posses any HDMI inputs. While playing Blu Ray disks will give a 5.1 experience, what about other entertainment sources (ie PVR/media players etc ) through the SC-BTT755 speakers?

Does Panasonic expect these additional devices to be feed into the VT20A and back to the SC-BTT755 via ARC? (btw I understand HDMI ARC audio stream is converted to stereo for all sources other than for the DVB-T signal where the original broadcast audio stream is 'passed thu' )

Also as the SC-BTT755 supplied speakers ( particularly the wireless rears) are matched to the main unit, it makes things difficult to split.

Currently I have a set of Orpheus Front speakers which perform beautifully, so to replace them is not something I'm keen on.

I have set up the player and find the sound acceptable except that it is a little bass heavy. Still experimenting with the set up but I was a little dissappointed to find that unlike the tv which has a user adjustable equaliser, the SC-BTT755 has only 4 factory set options for sound shaping: FLAT, HEAVY, CLEAR and SOFT. If I am missing some hidden control please let me know.

Hi Owners what is the largest hard drive you can attach to this set via USB.

There is a link in the manual:

USB Info for Viera

2TB is the max. Only one (superseded) USB HDD is certified by Panasonic (which I have).

External hard drive for use with VT20

I note that the certified, superseded, drive is "Buffalo DriveStation HD-CEU2-A3 Series".

Today I hooked up a 1.5TB Buffalo USB 2.0 External Hard Drive (DriveStation model HD-LBU2, described as HD-LB1 .5TU2-A3 on the packaging). [These happen to be on special at Wow stores.] It took 3 minutes to format (hard drive was then locked to my particular VT20 TV set, unless reformatted [as described below]). It worked fine. It would record the currently selected digital TV station (and program description) at the press of a button. It would not record analogue stations. Selection of file to play back was straightforward (accessed using the "SDCARD" button).

However, I imagine any powered USB 2.0 hard drive not exceeding 2TB would be likely to work.

Restoring external hard drive for use with windows pc

I then connected the 1.5TB external drive to my Vista home theatre pc. I used disk management (control panel classic menu/administration tools/ disk management) to delete the volume, and then create a simple volume with NTFS formatting. Of course the TV recordings were lost in the reformatting process.

Is anyone having issues getting their TV to update its software?

Mine is at 3.401?

It always gets about 50% through the download when it loses the connection to the server.

You can do a manual download here http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/bd/d...0_350_euro.html click on the TV link on the left select Oceania

and then your screen size etc etc

I have set up the player and find the sound acceptable except that it is a little bass heavy. Still experimenting with the set up but I was a little dissappointed to find that unlike the tv which has a user adjustable equaliser, the SC-BTT755 has only 4 factory set options for sound shaping: FLAT, HEAVY, CLEAR and SOFT. If I am missing some hidden control please let me know.

I downloaded the manual for the BTT737 (which I think is the same as the 755?) and like my old Sony Sava ProLogic speakers, there's preset sound modes that you listed, but you can alter them, as I interrupt the manual.

Adjusting speaker level during play

Press > (increase) or < (decrease) to adjust the speaker level for each speaker.

-6 dB to +6 dB

I downloaded the manual for the BTT737 (which I think is the same as the 755?) and like my old Sony Sava ProLogic speakers, there's preset sound modes that you listed, but you can alter them, as I interrupt the manual.

Yes you are correct - the level of each speaker can be slightly adjusted to suit speaker placement or room acoustics but it appears that no further frequency equalisation can be performed. Personally, I would like to be able to make adjustments and this may determine whether I keep this system. UPDATE The subwoofer level can be adjusted separately to 4 preset levels, Weak to Strong.

Edited by b.smith

Is the digital audio out of this t.v only connected to the DVB-T or can you pass the Foxtel signal to the T.V. via HDMI, or any other device connected to the t.v. and then digital audio out to my Pioneer A.V.

Tried it last night with pvr, yes it does work.

I just got back from holidays and have had a chance to test out some picture settings from other posters. I just can't get the pic looking natural or anywhere near how my old pana plasma looked. It's so disappointing, however I'm starting to think it must be my panel as I'm sure other people wouldn't be happy if theirs was the same.

The pic just looks washed out. I'm going to call panasonic tomorrow and ask them what they recommend to do.

Is anyone getting any funny lines on the edges of the screen in THX picture mode??

It's only happening when I watch TV and mainly on SBS HD and 10 Digital.

On SBS HD I get a big yellow flickering line on the left hand side of the screen.

This is only happening in the THX mode..

Would like to get other peoples thoughts on this...I will try and post some pictures of the yellow lines...

I just bought this TV and like others have said i reckon the picture quality is very average for the top of the line Panasonic plasma range...

I can't even watch the cricket as you cannot see the ball at all in fast motion. My old pana SD 42inch had much better quality pictures...

Who knows maybe time and hours will improve quality..

Is anyone getting any funny lines on the edges of the screen in THX picture mode??

It's only happening when I watch TV and mainly on SBS HD and 10 Digital.

It's because THX mode has overscan turned off, which means that each pixel transmitted to your screen is being displayed. In all the other modes, overscan is turned on. It crops off a little bit of each edge in order to avoid showing the scraggly bits that are found on television broadcasts.

Generally, when watching TV, it is better to either use a different picture setting, or change the overscan in THX mode to on.

When watching DVD or Blu-Ray however, best results are with overscan turned off.

Hope I've helped :)

Agree that the lack of timer recording is annoying.

I was hoping to leverage on the DLNA ability, and put all of my home movies on a NAS.

Plan was for the NAS to have raid drives, hence a backup. I could then access my movies from the NAS

However, according to the manual, the TV will only play MPEG2 - and not MP4

Is this correct? It seems the only way to play high quality stuff if using a USB stick in the side of the TV and the inbuilt Media Player?

This seems like a major flaw, as Panasonic have HD camcorders and even 3D camcorders are coming, but you wont be able to play the HD or 3D video of your kids soccer game unless you plug the camcoder directly into the TV, or using the SD card slot. Backup to the NAS are useless essentially, as is sharing from other devices (the whole point of DLNA).

I am new to this TV, so let me know if i am missing something here!

Cheers

Mike

thinking of getting one of these, is the complete owners manual available somewhere as a download?

i've searched and can't find it - pana could do with putting it on their support pages

Australian manuals are often not available on line. The corresponding British Panasonic model is the TX-P50VT20B. You can get Panasonic UK manuals at http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Supp...ml#anker_220239 by keying in the British model number.

thinking of getting one of these, is the complete owners manual available somewhere as a download?

i've searched and can't find it - pana could do with putting it on their support pages

The V20A Manual is there,link on bottom of "Details" page. My Brother downloaded the Manual for one of the 3D models before Xmas,may have been removed for some reason.

Had a glitch occur yesterday which required more than the usual power cycle solution, so I thought I'd put it here and see if anyone else has seen the same, or learn from this if you see it.

Symptom1: No ARC on the HDMI to my AV Receiver (which has been working flawlessly until yesterday). Resetting the Vieralink settings and restarting TV and Receiver did not fix this.

Symptom2: Any Attempt to record to the attached USB HDD resulted in the usual grey banner but the HDD | REC indicator comes up as HDD | PAUSED and then the TV controls freeze with the grey banner (USB HDD recording) and the HDD | PAUSED indictor frozen, then after about 30s the TV restarts itself.

Solution required these steps: safe disconnect of the USB HDD, full power off of the TV and restart, reconnect the USB HDD, and then (horror) re-register and mandatory reformat of the HDD which took about 10 minutes (much longer than the 1st time) and of course good-bye all recordings.

At the same time on restart I accepted the 'new channel found' warning (for 11) even though I had manually rescanned for 11 the previous day... no idea if this also put the software in an unstable state.

Anyway, all seems back to 'normal' so far: HDD recording and ARC working.

• 2 weeks later...