Owners' Thread Panasonic Viera Th-p50vt20a

Is there a way to turn 24p for 3d so it runs at 60? I noticed in the James Cameron preferred settings he has 24p film set to OFF, yet we only get 48 or 96

Do we? I get 48 and 60 as the options for "3D 24p Film Display" on my menu.

I find that my Blu-ray player will use 24fps output when playing a 3D disc in Full 3D mode, even with the 24fps output option being set to off in the Blu-ray player options. [The player will output 60fps with a 2D disc if 24fps is set to off.]

Director Cameron's relevant recommendations are (from http://3dvision-blog.com/watch-avatar-in-s...erred-settings/ ):

12.Use the button to switch "24p Smooth Film" to OFF.

Use the button to switch "3D 24p Film Display" to OFF.

* This setup is not available depending on the model.

Switching smooth film to off would stop interpolation. Our 50" sets don't appear to offer the menu option of "smooth film" for full 3D, anyway.

As for "3D 24p Film Display", our 50" sets provide two options when a 3D Blu-ray is playing: 48Hz and 60Hz (as I mentioned above at post #68). There is no "off" option. I am not sure what the recommendation "off" means. It might mean avoid 48Hz (a film rate) and use 60Hz (a non-film rate). My personal assessment is that 60Hz on my set looks more fluid, but less "solid" and less "orderly" (it looks a bit "jumbled" to me).

As some background info, I note this comment in a review of a the TX-P50VT20, which is the UK version of the 50" ( http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/panasonic-t...20100520694.htm ):

Finally, when a 3D BD player is sending 3D 24p film material, the [3D 24p Film Display] option appears in the TV’s [setup] > [Other Settings] screen. This setting refreshes the Plasma display at a multiple of 24 times per second, avoiding motion judder. This is a very confusing menu option, because it appears in the exact same place as the [intelligent Frame Creation] and [24p Smooth Film] options which show up with 2D material. Those two options are motion interpolating controls which give films the awkward “sped-up soap opera” look and have confused many users over the years. Conversely, [3D 24p Film Display] does nothing of the sort and unlike the aforementioned controls, we recommend turning it on, because it displays films without judder by changing the panel refresh rate, not by inventing motion which never existed in the first place.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Muchos gracias! I will be awaiting my copy of the 3D version of Avatar with eager anticipation.

Arrived today.

During a 5 minute short test run, played on the Blu-ray player without problems.

The 3D is nice and mild, so a very close viewing position works.

Very immersive, at times i feel I am looking through a window into real life.

Motion not entirely fluid, not as fluid as at the cinema.

Champagne is on ice. Official home screening later tonight!

Did I read that the batteries in the glasses are only good for up to 3.2m from the screen?

If you did read that, it was wrong. The Panasonic glasses work 10 metres away, or more, which is much further away than you would want to sit. The TV puts out a strong infra-red signal (in fact it jams my Microsoft infra-red keyboard, making typing labourious if the TV is on and in 3D mode).

Last night we watched about half of Avatar 3D. We saw the 50" screen (which really is a bit too small in my opinion for 3D viewing) with the sofa at a viewing distance of 2.5m which was a little bit too far away for a strong 3D effect. The sofa should have been closer.

I found that if I moved to a stool at a distance of 1.75m (yes very close) it was a much more cinema like experience (the picture filled my field of view) and the stereoscopic 3D really came to life with "3D distance detail" visible. In fact I saw more 3D effect than I recall seeing at the cinema. (At the cinema I had sat about a third of the way back from the screen.)

This movie does contain some very satisfying real life 3D (i.e. not just pure anime like Monsters vs Aliens which I think you're about to view). Cheers

Edited by MLXXX

Just read the 3D manual for the first time and for the 65" Panasonic recommends 2.4m distance. If you read the safety precautions you might be too scared to put the glasses on! I get migraines so we will see.

Anyway I'll have a look at Monster House tonight. I normally sit 4m from the set which I know many people think is much too far.

Has anyone been able to get anything more than basic stereo out of the HDMI Audio Return Channel (ARC) when using a PS3?

I'm using a 80GB PS3 >>>HDMI1

and

HT (Avatar Promo one) >>>HDMI2 (ARC)

When mannually slecting any multichannel sound from the PS3 sound setup I only get the front 2 speakers. Auto dec only offers stereo, mostly like as it only detects the TV.

Thanks in advance if you can help with this!

Guest philthomas

is any VT20 owner here using PS3 as a blu-ray player? Just want to know what settings are you guys using on your PS3 to get the best picture out of it. mine r as follows:

BD / DVD Video Output Format (HDMI) : Auto

RGB Full Range : Limited

Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr Super-White: Off

Deep Colour output: Auto

are these settings ok? thanks

Does anyone know if there's any difference between the glasses that come with the TV (TY-EW3D10) and the glasses you get via redemption (TY-EW3D2MW)?

http://www.smartimports.net/products/Panas...3D-Glasses.html

Don't look as nice but more practical I think, as I don't like how the TY-EW3D10 you get with the TV don't wrap around the side of your head - enclosing your side vision.

Does anyone know if there's any difference between the glasses that come with the TV (TY-EW3D10) and the glasses you get via redemption (TY-EW3D2MW)?

http://www.smartimports.net/products/Panas...3D-Glasses.html

Don't look as nice but more practical I think, as I don't like how the TY-EW3D10 you get with the TV don't wrap around the side of your head - enclosing your side vision.

Could someone please confirm if the ARC is stereo only or if it does multi-channel audio as well.

I can only get stereo.

Thanks,

Your getting stereo because the source is in stereo. I don't think any fta broadcasts are 5.1 anymore -_-

Edited by CC Rider

Your getting stereo because the source is in stereo. I don't think any fta broadcasts are 5.1 anymore -_-

You should get Dolby Digital on the HD channels (1, 73, 90 in Melbourne) which I do get using ARC into an Onkyo AVR. I assumed FTA that transmit DD are doing multichannel so I didn't listen that closely. (Why else would they waste the bandwidth?)

I found that to get ARC I had to enable Vieralink and the corresponding CES HDMI control function on the AVR -- seems like you have done that otherwise you'd get no audio at all.

Edited by Scott_S

You should get Dolby Digital on the HD channels (1, 73, 90 in Melbourne) which I do get using ARC into an Onkyo AVR. I assumed FTA that transmit DD are doing multichannel so I didn't listen that closely. (Why else would they waste the bandwidth?)

I found that to get ARC I had to enable Vieralink and the corresponding CES HDMI control function on the AVR -- seems like you have done that otherwise you'd get no audio at all.

I've given up trying to get multi-channels over ARC with my PS3, Im using an optical cable now and forgone the HD sound. Sounds like from what people have said though it is possible to transport 5.1 over ARC?

I've given up trying to get multi-channels over ARC with my PS3, Im using an optical cable now and forgone the HD sound. Sounds like from what people have said though it is possible to transport 5.1 over ARC?

Have you tried playing a blu-ray movie from your ps3?

Have you changed your audio settings in ps3 menu?

Looking to get a VT20 plasma (not sure on size yet).

via the USB, do they play MKV files from USB sticks or portable HDDs?

I assume they play .avi and MP4 files...

Any help would be great.

thanks.

Best not to assume too much will work...

Tonight I copied the following from my HTPC hard drive to an 8GB USB stick:

1. The Last Airbender Blu-ray Sam.avi [containing MPEG4 video]

2. Shakira - Waka Waka 3d Music Video.mp4

3. The Official 2010 FIFA World Cup Film First 6min.mkv

4. Avatar Trailer HD 3D*.avc

5 Piranha 3D (Theatrical Trailer) - Siide by Side*.mpg

Files 1 to 4 can be found at http://www.3dtvworld.com.au/3d-downloads/

With the USB stick inserted into my 50VT20A, only item 1 above was recognised as a video file. It was playable. (To read the USB stick, I selected SD card input on the Panny remote).

Then I tried accessing the same files through the ethernet network, back to the hard drive on the HTPC, using the Panny's Media server functionality. Both files 1 and 5 could then be seen as video files, but only file 1 was playable.

Panasonic appear to have provided a rather hobbled level of media reading functionality.

I have been able to get my 50VT20A to play MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 (the test 3D broadcasts) recordings of FTA TV by changing file extensions of the transport stream recordings to mpg.

Photos with the jpg extension can be read but side by side 3D mode cannot be activated for photographs. Rather disappointing for a supposedly 3D TV (let's hope a firmware update can improve the situation). At this stage I need to feed side by side still pictures from my HTPC to the Panny using the HTPC's graphics card.

Edited by MLXXX

Best not to assume too much will work...

Tonight I copied the following from my HTPC hard drive to an 8GB USB stick:

1. The Last Airbender Blu-ray Sam.avi [containing MPEG4 video]

2. Shakira - Waka Waka 3d Music Video.mp4

3. The Official 2010 FIFA World Cup Film First 6min.mkv

4. Avatar Trailer HD 3D*.avc

5 Piranha 3D (Theatrical Trailer) - Siide by Side*.mpg

Files 1 to 4 can be found at http://www.3dtvworld.com.au/3d-downloads/

With the USB stick inserted into my 50VT20A, only item 1 above was recognised as a video file. It was playable. (To read the USB stick, I selected SD card input on the Panny remote).

Then I tried accessing the same files through the ethernet network, back to the hard drive on the HTPC, using the Panny's Media server functionality. Both files 1 and 5 could then be seen as video files, but only file 1 was playable.

Panasonic appear to have provided a rather hobbled level of media reading functionality.

I have been able to get my 50VT20A to play MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 (the test 3D broadcasts) recordings of FTA TV by changing file extensions of the transport stream recordings to mpg.

Photos with the jpg extension can be read but side by side 3D mode cannot be activated for photographs. Rather disappointing for a supposedly 3D TV (let's hope a firmware update can improve the situation). At this stage I need to feed side by side still pictures from my HTPC to the Panny using the HTPC's graphics card.

Thanks for checking that out for me, appreciate it.

Cheers.