Owners' Thread Panasonic Viera Th-p50vt20a

Guest philthomas

i have been noticing a lot of judder on my VT20 while playing BDs through Panny BDT-300 (Avatar, Pixar up ect.) specially on panning shots. the TV displays as 1080p/24hz input but the moment i turn IFC on the judder is almost nonexistent but produces video like images. all picture enhancement functions are off. please help am I doing something wrong here. one more thing i cant find 24p on/off option in the setting. thanks

Edited by philthomas

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have been noticing a lot of judder on my VT20 while playing BDs through Panny BDT-300 (Avatar, Pixar up ect.) specially on panning shots. the TV displays as 1080p/24hz input but the moment i turn IFC on the judder is almost nonexistent but produces video like images. all picture enhancement functions are off. please help am I doing something wrong here. one more thing i cant find 24p on/off option in the setting. thanks

The 24p smooth is what removed the judder.... but that is the nature of film. Without it film looks like video. It inserts the frames that don't exist on film. You might want to try 4.2.2 pull down setting on the player. I haven't tried that as I am perfectly happy with the smoothing on... it's gonna be a matter of choice and preference I'm afraid.

That's what film looks like mate...some of us prefer it that way. ;)

:( Just noticed a single faulty pixel -- it flicks to full green whenever the intensity is much above black. What a nightmare -- its incredibly distracting now that I see it. Its just a few cm from the centre of the screen.

I just re-read the Panasonic pixel policy and its vague -- useless. What do I do? Do these ever cure themselves (wishful thinking)?

Has anyone got 3d Blueray to work through Windows Media Center 7, using an Nvidia graphics card?

I've tried TMT3 + the 3D add-on, but it doesn't display the 3D correctly. I can get the Nvidia 3D stuff working, but I only want 3D for when I run TMT3 plugin in Media Center.

anyone got 3D working via a Blueray Rom?

cheers

Hey guys I bought my Panasonic Viera Th-p50vt20a 3D TV a month back. I'm very happy with the image quality. Just waiting for more 3D movies to be released. I thought that I would remind you all that if you all go to www.panasonic.com.au and click on the Avatar Link. For all of you that bought a Th-p50vt20a (etc) in the past (Yes that's right PAST) can get their free copy of the Avatar 3D movie. The sales man from Harvey Norman who sold me the TV a month ago called me last Friday to let me know. Talk about great service! The Avatar promo lasts until 31 December. I filled out my copy and sent it registered post along with the original receipt that they'll send back with the movie. Can't wait.

... in the past (Yes that's right PAST) can get their free copy of the Avatar 3D movie. The sales man from Harvey Norman who sold me the TV a month ago called me last Friday to let me know.

Do you have a weblink zorg8 for people who bought pre-1 November? I can see the bundle offer for people who bought on and after 1 November.

To coincide with the launch of the BONUS 3D Avatar Home Theatre Pack promotion that commenced on 1st November 2010, Panasonic are excited to also offer Avatar 3D on Blu-ray Disc to those customers who have already purchased a Panasonic VIErA 3D Plasma TV prior to 1st November.

That's right, if you have already purchased a Panasonic VIERA 3D Plasma TV, you are be eligible to receive a free copy of AVATAR on 3D Blu-ray, courtesy of Panasonic.

Muchos gracias! I will be awaiting my copy of the 3D version of Avatar with eager anticipation.

How many owners have a dead or 'flickering' pixel on their VT20 panel?

I just wanted to get an idea of the probability that I'll get another panel with another faulty pixel. If there's a high chance of that I'll just keep the one I have.

Thanks.

PS Yes I have contacted Panasonic.

Not on my VT20 panel.

(Though there are some faint vertical streaks as if the screen is dirty. These have been present for some weeks now.)

Edited by MLXXX

For 24fps movies I would express a definite preference for 48Hz 3D over 60Hz. Although the motion can at times be more disjointed than with 60Hz 3D, it has a more solid look to it. This is for 3D with its alternating of left and right images. [Note this is not the same as 48Hz 2D, with its repetitions of the same monoscopic frame image, which on some Plasma displays has been criticized as unwatchably flickery. See for example: http://forum.blu-ray.com/display-theory-di...tml#post3759990.]

I've been asked where to access the 48Hz and 60Hz settings. On the Viera TH-P50VT20A, when you are playing a Blu-ray 3D movie at 24fps (make sure the Blu-ray player is set to output 24p), you should be able to access them as follows with your TV remote control:

1. Menu button
  2. Setup
  3. Scroll down to Other Settings and hit ok to access
  4. The top Other Settings item is "3D 24p Film Display". It has two options: 60Hz and 48Hz.

Guest philthomas

i’ve crossed 100 hrs. break in period so can you guys pls. post settings of your calibrated Vt20 I know THX mode is pretty close to the sweet spot but i’m lookin for more pop out of this baby. thanks.

i’ve crossed 100 hrs. break in period so can you guys pls. post settings of your calibrated Vt20 I know THX mode is pretty close to the sweet spot but i’m lookin for more pop out of this baby. thanks.

Er do you want accurate calibration or pop? Normal consumer settings give heightened colour saturation and contrast (a bit like bass and treble boost for audio, instead of audiophile flat tone control settings). THX type settings give less "pop".

In terms of exact calibration, each set would differ slightly, which of course is what "calibration" is all about...

i'm not fussy about exact calibration myself, but on my own set I do prefer the THX setting to the normal setting.

Here are some impressions I provided early in this thread:

5. My subjective comments on the various different viewing modes in the TV picture menu are as follows:
  • Dynamic - way too much brightness and contrast

• Normal - crushed blacks (a look of many CRT TVs in the past)

• Cinema - pleasant but slight blue cast, and default colour a bit strong [To use this viewing mode, I reduced the picture colour setting from "50" to "43"]

• THX [and default professional 1 and 2, only available if "Advance(isfccc)" is set to On] - very restrained, a yellow cast

I found the cinema setting more pleasing than the THX setting. It could be with my set that the THX setting is a little out of adjustment. I may experiment with this in the future. At this point I am using "Cinema" with slightly reduced colour intensity.

I too may have 100 hours up by now. I haven't noticed any major change in colour.

For "pop", I think the cinema setting is not too bad. For accuracy, the THX setting looks closer to the mark but I still find on my particular set that it seems a bit yellowish.

Perhaps others more interested in exact calibration than I, could make more specific comments.

Edited by MLXXX

Guest philthomas
Er do you want accurate calibration or pop? Normal consumer settings give heightened colour saturation and contrast (a bit like bass and treble boost for audio, instead of audiophile flat tone control settings). THX type settings give less "pop".

In terms of exact calibration, each set would differ slightly, which of course is what "calibration" is all about...

i'm not fussy about exact calibration myself, but on my own set I do prefer the THX setting to the normal setting.

Here are some impressions I provided early in this thread:

I too may have 100 hours up by now. I haven't noticed any major change in colour.

For "pop", I think the cinema setting is not too bad. For accuracy, the THX setting looks closer to the mark but I still find on my particular set that it seems a bit yellowish.

Perhaps others more interested in exact calibration than I, could make more specific comments.

hey thanks for your advice i too feel that THX seems a bit yellowish. there are plenty of calibration settings available for US & UK Vt20/25 on the net but failed to find any for our VT20.

I've been asked where to access the 48Hz and 60Hz settings. On the Viera TH-P50VT20A, when you are playing a Blu-ray 3D movie at 24fps (make sure the Blu-ray player is set to output 24p), you should be able to access them as follows with your TV remote control:

1. Menu button
  2. Setup
  4. The top Other Settings item is "3D 24p Film Display". It has two options: 60Hz and 48Hz.

The 65 is different. It is not as described above. The top selection in other settings is ISF on or off. No where in the menu system is "3D 24p Film Display".

The 65 is different. It is not as described above. The top selection in other settings is ISF on or off. No where in the menu system is "3D 24p Film Display".

I get the menu item "Intelligent Frame Creation" (IFC) if there is no video input.

With 2D Bu-ray input at 24p, the menu item changes, on my 50" set, to "24p Smooth Film".

With 3D Blu-ray input at 24p, the menu item changes, on my 50" set, to "3D 24p Film Display".

I'm thinking of buying a TH-P50VT20A and have a question about hooking it up to the now included SC-BTT755 Bluray speaker system and an HTPC.

I'm still stuck in the CRT era, so all this HDMI stuff is new to me.

The SC-BTT755 has an HDMI output to the TV for the Bluray video. Easy so far.

There are no HDMI inputs on the SC-BTT755, so I will have to connect the HTPC (probably a nettop running Linux + XBMC) to one of the TV's HDMI ports. This should get both video and audio to the TV.

Can I get the audio from the TV back to the SC-BTT755?

The specs for the TH-P50VT20A list its optical audio out connection as 'DVB-T Only'.

Does this mean that the TV will only output audio from the internal tuner via the optical jack?

Thanks

I get the menu item "Intelligent Frame Creation" (IFC) if there is no video input.

With 2D Bu-ray input at 24p, the menu item changes, on my 50" set, to "24p Smooth Film".

With 3D Blu-ray input at 24p, the menu item changes, on my 50" set, to "3D 24p Film Display".

So... does IFC 'on' run at 100Hz (4 times 25Hz)?

Does 24p Smooth Film 'on' run at 96Hz (4 times 24Hz) and 24p when 'off'?

Does 3D 24p Film Display 'on' run at 48Hz or 60 Hz or 24 Hz??

RTFM to find out... haha too many footnotes, ifs, buts, and maybes in there. <_<

Thanks for clues.

[...]

PS Yes I have contacted Panasonic.

When you read the Panasonic pixel statement, be aware that:

there are a number of allowable pixel/sub-pixel failures that still allow the panel to be defined as a good panel

allowable means four (4) "failures". :o

And when you read:

It is not possible to guarantee absolutely no pixel loss

be aware that "loss" (or "failure") does not mean only dead pixels, nor only fixed 'on', it also means flickering randomly in any colour. <_<

And that "guarantee" in the above sentence of course means no warranty coverage at all. :angry2:

On this basis I'm no longer recommending Panasonic screens to my friends and relatives (well, anyone) unless they can obtain a return agreement with the retailer.

I really feel for you Scott. You must be very unlucky to have a pixel issue as most panels, monitors and laptops seem to be relatively free of this bug which was so much more common a few years ago. You'd think that as it is less common they could do something for you!

On the other hand, this is possibly one of the prices of the super competitive pricing these days. Low margins are making the management of these companies more reluctant to do "policy" adjustments cause they got to sell 10 sets to make up for each swap out they do.

Come on Panasonic.... do the right thing and help this guy out. If just 10 people see his post and decide against buying Panasonic then its cost you anyway. If its 100, then its cost you ten times as much as replacing the set...................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wonder if they watch this forum?

So... does IFC 'on' run at 100Hz (4 times 25Hz)?

Does 24p Smooth Film 'on' run at 96Hz (4 times 24Hz) and 24p when 'off'?

Does 3D 24p Film Display 'on' run at 48Hz or 60 Hz or 24 Hz??

RTFM to find out... haha too many footnotes, ifs, buts, and maybes in there. <_<

Thanks for clues.

Off the top of my head:

I assume IFC would run at 120 screen refreshes a second in the United States. We may get 120Hz too in Australia for simplicity of circuit design. Suspect it would be hard to pick the difference by eye between IFC at 100Hz and IFC at 120Hz.

I assume 2D 24p would run at 96 frames a second in groups of four repeated frames for 24p smooth off, or groups of one original and three interpolated frames with 24p smooth on.

I assume 3D 48Hz if selected for a 24p 3D source involves no interpolated frames. Each original Left Frame would be displayed twice. Each original Right Frame would be displayed twice. In an alternating pattern LRLR (i.e. L
R
L
R
, L
R
L
R
, L
R
L
R
, ...).

I assume that 3D 60Hz if selected for a 60p 3D source (the Panasonic demo disc with the Blu-ray player includes some 720p60) involves no interpolated frames. Each original Left Frame would be displayed twice. Each original Right Frame would be displayed twice in an alternating pattern: LRLR.

With side by side 50i (e.g. the 3D test transmissions in Australia of Australian football and World Cup soccer), you need to select side by side manually. There is then no menu selection available for display frame rate. I assume each Left side deinterlaced frame (and there are 50 unique Left frames per second using 50i) and each Right side deinterlaced frame is displayed twice in an alternating pattern: LRLR.

Late edit 13 Aug 2011: see notations in red at post #191.

I really feel for you Scott. You must be very unlucky to have a pixel issue as most panels, monitors and laptops seem to be relatively free of this bug which was so much more common a few years ago.

True.

Edited by MLXXX

I'm thinking of buying a TH-P50VT20A and have a question about hooking it up to the now included SC-BTT755 Bluray speaker system and an HTPC.

I'm still stuck in the CRT era, so all this HDMI stuff is new to me.

The SC-BTT755 has an HDMI output to the TV for the Bluray video. Easy so far.

There are no HDMI inputs on the SC-BTT755, so I will have to connect the HTPC (probably a nettop running Linux + XBMC) to one of the TV's HDMI ports. This should get both video and audio to the TV.

Can I get the audio from the TV back to the SC-BTT755?

The specs for the TH-P50VT20A list its optical audio out connection as 'DVB-T Only'.

Does this mean that the TV will only output audio from the internal tuner via the optical jack?

Thanks

i believe all you need to do is run a hdmi 1.4 cable in the hdmi arc input/output on the tv and run it to the home theatre and this will do exactly what you want

1. Menu button
  2. Setup

Is there a way to turn 24p for 3d so it runs at 60? I noticed in the James Cameron preferred settings he has 24p film set to OFF, yet we only get 48 or 96