Toshiba Hd-ep10 Hdmi Audio

Just purchased a Toshiba HD-EP10 with 2.8 firmware. Set the unit up in my home theatre and it is working well. HD-DVD's play perfectly at 1080/24p.

I have done some research and found the unit doesn't bitstream audio through HDMI which I can live with.

One thing I have noticed is when playing standard DVD's the display on the HD-EP10 will only show 2ch despite me selecting 5.1 DTS or DD on the DVD.

Shouldn't it not display Multi? It certainly does when playing HD-DVD discs, but so far standard DVD's just show 2ch.

I have the audio setting as;

Digital Out SPDIF - Bitstream

Digital Out HDMI - Auto

Dynamic Range Control - Off

Dialog Enhancement - Off

It is only connected via HDMI

Also is version 2.8 the final firmware? I noticed a version 4.0 at a site, http://cid-6948f2460bdd190c.office.live.co...irmware/HD-EP10

Will this work with the Aussie version of the HD-EP10?

Just purchased a Toshiba HD-EP10 with 2.8 firmware. Set the unit up in my home theatre and it is working well. HD-DVD's play perfectly at 1080/24p.

I have done some research and found the unit doesn't bitstream audio through HDMI which I can live with.

One thing I have noticed is when playing standard DVD's the display on the HD-EP10 will only show 2ch despite me selecting 5.1 DTS or DD on the DVD.

Shouldn't it not display Multi? It certainly does when playing HD-DVD discs, but so far standard DVD's just show 2ch.

I have the audio setting as;

Digital Out SPDIF - Bitstream

Digital Out HDMI - Auto

Dynamic Range Control - Off

Dialog Enhancement - Off

It is only connected via HDMI

Also is version 2.8 the final firmware? I noticed a version 4.0 at a site, http://cid-6948f2460bdd190c.office.live.co...irmware/HD-EP10

Will this work with the Aussie version of the HD-EP10?

Hi mate, yes V4.0 will work with aussie players and fixes a couple of playback issues i had with several discs.

I don't have time to boot up my HT this morning before work to check what settings i have but i get 5.1 with standard dvd's via hdmi, if no one has responded by this evening i'll have a look and get back to you.

Cheers

Edited by cooyarpjm

Hi mate, yes V4.0 will work with aussie players and fixes a couple of playback issues i had with several discs.

I don't have time to boot up my HT this morning before work to check what settings i have but i get 5.1 with standard dvd's via hdmi, if no one has responded by this evening i'll have a look and get back to you.

Cheers

Thanks for that......

I think I am getting 5.1 output, the amp shows 5.1 but the HD-EP10 still shows 2ch on the display!

Might try 4.0 then....

Hi mate didn't get a chance to look at it yesterday evening. Will post the minute i do.

Cheers

No worries!

I did the update to version 4.0 and it still shows 2ch. Watched Back to the Future and selected a DTS soundtrack which the amp displayed as DTS but the EP10 still shows 2ch on the display...

Maybe a bug?

• 1 month later...
No worries!

I did the update to version 4.0 and it still shows 2ch. Watched Back to the Future and selected a DTS soundtrack which the amp displayed as DTS but the EP10 still shows 2ch on the display...

Maybe a bug?

mines the same, the EP10 display shows [2ch] but the onkyo amp picks it up as 5.1!... must be a bug, a sound test disk like the thx optimiser on disney/pixar dvds will show it does send out 5.1 surround

mines the same, the EP10 display shows [2ch] but the onkyo amp picks it up as 5.1!... must be a bug, a sound test disk like the thx optimiser on disney/pixar dvds will show it does send out 5.1 surround

Yep looks like a bug alright....I have since obtained a Toshiba HD-EP35 and DVD's do indeed display as 'Multi'.....

The HD-EP10 is now on Ebay.

Edited by Jimbo101