Sony Micro Hifi With Dab+

Sony Aus website has consistently listed the model as being out of stock. This is despite Austereo giving them away via Barry Radio.

I e-mailed Sony Aus asking what other models they had and what chip was it, the NZ based Salmat company replied and said no DAB+ radios were sold in Australia, so Sony is up the creek on product knowledge.

Quite a positive review of this in the latest (September) issue of Choice.

"The Sony CMTFX350i is a positive step towards delivering a good micro system that doesn’t cost several hundred dollars just by virtue of having a DAB+ tuner. The sound quality to be gained from this system is very good compared with DAB+ radios with integrated mono speakers that cost up to three times the price. Interestingly, while we still think this DAB+ system is good value, Sony’s CMTFX300 model without DAB+ is technically identical in all other aspects and costs only $179.

As well as DAB+ radio, the CMTFX350i includes an FM tuner with a combined 20-station preset. The unit has a timer (sleep) and alarm function, making it a good bedroom sound system option, and while the DAB+/FM antenna supplied is no more than a single wire, the tuner picked up all available stations without too much trouble in our testing. The remote that comes with the system is fairly basic and straightforward to operate and can also be used to operate other Sony products.

The top-loading CD player has a fairly flimsy spindle, but works as well as you’d expect for a system at this price point, and the obligatory iPod support is well designed with a solid dock connection. It also offers separate connections for a non-iPod music player and headphones. Sound quality is more than satisfactory, and can be improved further by replacing the speakers with a pair of better-quality 4-ohm speakers.

While not as portable as an all-in-one radio, the ability to move the speakers around the room to create better stereo separation makes the CMTFX350i a more effective music option for the home.

CHOICE verdict

CHOICE has long been asking why digital radios should cost so much more than equivalent FM/AM radios. The Sony CMTFX350i will hopefully force down the price of other digital radio products to a more reasonable level."

Rating: 4/5 stars

Price: $279

Edited by DX Fan

DX Fan,

According to the Sony Australia Website they are charging $50 to change an AM/FM tuner for a DAB+/FM one.

It should be remembered that Australia was the first country to take on DAB+ on a large scale. Now it is taking off in Europe and receiver prices are dropping.

AlanH

• 1 month later...

Saw this prominently displayed at Sony D F Outlet shop in Brisbane for $219.95 "micro hifi with digital radio" on sign. Last time I checked (19 Sept), the Brisbane city shop said they had this in stock for $279.

Very disappointed with what I saw:

- antenna was thin dinky wire thin 2 prong non-standard plug and no way for external attachment

- no clock or alarm was obvious

- 1-line display showing station name only

- I pod dock protrudes from bottom front of unit and is very ugly

Unit had no problem with reception though, even though the antenna wire was not extended and location was in metal roofed building in low lying area near airport.

Sound seemed quite "rich and nice" though it was swamped by the noise of a hundred other devices.

Saw this prominently displayed at Sony D F Outlet shop in Brisbane for $219.95 "micro hifi with digital radio" on sign. Last time I checked (19 Sept), the Brisbane city shop said they had this in stock for $279.

Very disappointed with what I saw:

- antenna was thin dinky wire thin 2 prong non-standard plug and no way for external attachment

- no clock or alarm was obvious

- 1-line display showing station name only

- I pod dock protrudes from bottom front of unit and is very ugly

Unit had no problem with reception though, even though the antenna wire was not extended and location was in metal roofed building in low lying area near airport.

Sound seemed quite "rich and nice" though it was swamped by the noise of a hundred other devices.

Speakers usually are alright from Sony, clock should be part of the DAB+ on screen functions, but if 1 line, not likely.

Antenna a big concern, should be an ADR that DAB+ have a vertical antenna, more than wire but reception was ok at DFO or Toombul, which is understandable considering can see the towers.

Speakers usually are alright from Sony, clock should be part of the DAB+ on screen functions, but if 1 line, not likely.

Antenna a big concern, should be an ADR that DAB+ have a vertical antenna, more than wire but reception was ok at DFO or Toombul, which is understandable considering can see the towers.

I was surprised at the reception because the antenna wire had not been uncoiled and was on the ground on an inside wall and the centre is heavily shielded with metal walls and roof! Everything was against it. Yes the display is minute and when turned off there is no display at all (no clock).

I was surprised at the reception because the antenna wire had not been uncoiled and was on the ground on an inside wall and the centre is heavily shielded with metal walls and roof! Everything was against it. Yes the display is minute and when turned off there is no display at all (no clock).

Good spot for DAB+ reception out there. Sounds like an awful implementation of DAB+ by Sony, to not unlock the many great features of the technology is poor.

Good spot for DAB+ reception out there. Sounds like an awful implementation of DAB+ by Sony, to not unlock the many great features of the technology is poor.

I've personally used it found the Audio Quality was way better than My Revo Uno.

However I was appalled that the DAB+ features were quite minimal

* No Program Information Display eg. Music Information or News/Weather Updates.

* Lack of Signal/Frequency Information.

* No Ability to be used as a recorder considering how big it is.

* It has a CD Player which is kind of 1999 to me but atleast it's convienient to have on board.

* iPod/iPhone Dock looks messy, should be a seperate module. (To be included in the package of course)

Edited by Adrian90