Hi fellas. I was wondering if there is software available that allows you to edit the commercials from the recording. I have a few shows that i want to get rid of the commercials that were recorded.

I hope this is in the right section.

Hi fellas. I was wondering if there is software available that allows you to edit the commercials from the recording. I have a few shows that i want to get rid of the commercials that were recorded.

I hope this is in the right section.

I use MPEG Streamclip. It's free, runs on both Windows and OS X, has a reasonable, though not perfect user interface, and can convert MPEG TS to PMEG PS files, which are what many DVD recording programs want as input.

Others favour ProjectX, also free and runs on Windows and OS X, and more flexible than Streamclip, but I think its UI is a total shambles (at least the Mac version that I've used).

VideoRedo is also popular, but it's a commercial product, and only available for Windows. I haven't used it.

Edited by prl

Project-x is a pretty crude editor, its primary job is to demux and fix received streams which are then edited with something like cuttermaran or mpeg2schnitt.

Project-x is a pretty crude editor, its primary job is to demux and fix received streams which are then edited with something like cuttermaran or mpeg2schnitt.

I use PVAstrumento to demux, then chop out commercials/remux with Cuttermaran, slightly labour intensive but free and doesn't result in any re-encoding. the latest version of cuttermaran is really quite good, they've improved the muxer that it uses (used to crash/not complete sometimes, now works perfectly with a nice report screen to boot). PVAstrumento has the advantage that you can get a whole bunch of files and line them up as a batch, useful for setting and forgetting overnight

The only time I've used Projectx is if i need subtitles with something, as PVAstrumento doesn't understand these whereas projectx can extract them - would have to agree that I'd use something else to edit stuff, it is powerful but somewhat overpowering for the novice

I gave up on cuttermaran for MPEG2 chopping. It works OK, but the way I tend to use this sort of thing is to skip through the material by holding down the +10 seconds type buttons. With the most recent build I tried it wasn't refreshing the display at each hop making it more or less useless for me. I contacted the project team a long time ago about the problem and they said "it does seem to be dropping events" and that was as far as it ever got.

Seems that nothing has changed, 1.70 is still the latest.

Edited by DrP

I am a projectX man as I like to maintain subtitles in whatever I make usually. So projectX will maintain subtitle synch even after trimming, something that no other package (that are regularly discussed) will do. The UI is terrible, but once you get used to clicking the "+" button in one of the views to create keep and discard sections, it is very quick to achieve.

Regards

I am a projectX man as I like to maintain subtitles in whatever I make usually. So projectX will maintain subtitle synch even after trimming, something that no other package (that are regularly discussed) will do. The UI is terrible, but once you get used to clicking the "+" button in one of the views to create keep and discard sections, it is very quick to achieve.

Regards

IIRC videoredo tvsuite, when making DVD files, will preserve any subtitles that are present.

Regards

I'm with Tony. I use ProjectX because it's free, corrects errors and extracts synchronised subtitles. In addition I also use the ProjectX post processing feature to run avidemux on the demuxed files to convert to xvid AVI.

Although the ProjectX interface looks daunting, once you get used to it it's fairly simple. Just move to the required spot using combinations of left and right arrow keys (jump further with Shift, Control, Alt), press "a" to add a cut point. Green parts are kept, red parts are removed.

I'm with Tony. I use ProjectX because it's free, corrects errors and extracts synchronised subtitles. In addition I also use the ProjectX post processing feature to run avidemux on the demuxed files to convert to xvid AVI.

Although the ProjectX interface looks daunting, once you get used to it it's fairly simple. Just move to the required spot using combinations of left and right arrow keys (jump further with Shift, Control, Alt), press "a" to add a cut point. Green parts are kept, red parts are removed.

Go ProjectX. While reading this I took a 40 minute show, edited out the commercials, demuxed with saved .ssa subtitles. Then used MKVMerge to put all into a single file with selectable subtitles. All up took about 5 minutes.

Can MPEG Streamclip and other such free programs save TS files as standard MPEG2 files? I used to favour the DVD route until I found out that the files on a recordable DVD are only readable for about 5 years or so.

Edited by tribal-warrior

Can MPEG Streamclip and other such free programs save TS files as standard MPEG2 files? I used to favour the DVD route until I found out that the files on a recordable DVD are only readable for about 5 years or so.

MPEG Streamclip can, and I sad it could in my first post in this topic (read MPEG PS for PMEG PS - typo that it won't let me fix any more). Of course, MPEG TS files are just as "standard" as MPEG PS files - they are just standards intended for different purposes. However, there are just fewer players that can handle MPEG TS files.

What it doesn't do is preserve captions in a way that can be used. One good reason for using ProjectX over Streamclip is if you want to preserve captions. ProjectX also has a good reputation for fixing errors in the data stream, but I've never had problems with Streamclip failing because of data stream errors except when my recording copying program was causing major problems with continuity of the stream.

• 1 month later...
I use MPEG Streamclip. It's free, runs on both Windows and OS X, has a reasonable, though not perfect user interface, and can convert MPEG TS to PMEG PS files, which are what many DVD recording programs want as input.

Out of curiosity, are MPEG PS files recognised by most media players? By media players, I mean both software media players (like VLC, Windows Media Player etc) and physical media players that are hooked up to a TV.

Edited by tribal-warrior

Everything plays MPEG2 program streams (typically called .mpg) but Windows Media Player requires a decoder to be installed. The only real restriction on playing MPEG2 is the ability to handle HD.