How Old Is Your Flat Panel Tv?

I'm just wondering who has the oldest flat panel TV around here and how old is it?

You see at work as people are rapidly buying up to get into digital I often hear that their old CRT tv is about 20 years old.

Which is great for the old tech.

But we are also getting many repeat flat panel buyers because their existing newer tech TV's are kicking the bucket?

As yet I don't know of any that have made it past 7 years,perhaps this was approximately the time that they started to take off.

I mean when they first appeared they were in excess of 20K...ouch!!( about 10 years ago IRRC)

So only the very well healed would contemplate such a purchase back then.

It seems many are carking it nowadays after about 3-4 years because they are just economical to repair

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a friend who i went to uni with who was ultra rich,

anyway his dad had a 42 that cost 60k......At that time we had just bought a 42' top of the line Pioneer for 7k ish. And i noticed that the picture quality of my friends was crap. The price you pay for getting new technology back in the day. No idea when he bought it

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 6 year old Panasonic 50 inch plasma (50PV500A) not Full HD of course and has no biult in HD tuner.

The picture is still fantastic even with today's standards and i believe equally as good as my x series Panasonic for normal TV viewing if not better.

however i could purchase a 65inch panel and get change left over for how much i paid for it back then and i probably could not give the panel away now, but i still love it!!!

Our pio kuro is over one year old. Previous hitachi is Just over 4 years old and going strong like new now over inlaws place. Previous hitachi we had before that went bung at 2 year mark. Why so important to get make sure have a decent warranty on these things or buy an extended one. Bonus with the extended warranty is likely when and if goes bung you'll get a big and better replacement as mostly these things are easier to replace than fix these days.

The kuro though if went bung, would want them to fix. Don't want to be replacing it with anything :D

Still watching our LG 42" SD plasma, not sure exactly how long we have had it but be about 5-6 years now. Watching it from 3.5 metres the picture is still fine, though I do wish it had more colours.

It broke a couple of years ago, out of warranty, 2 boards failed, 300 later all good again. Have been considering getting a new plasma 54" or similar, but haven't.

• 2 weeks later...

4 Yr old 42" Full HD LCD Aqueous here . The newer panels are definately better IMHO . I had to bump the contrast and brightness up last week as it was set to 50/50 and it had to go up to 60/65 . It's definately ageing . I'll wait for the 3D shakedown and upgrade then . It's still a better set than the really low end ones but is far surpassed by the average to high end units of today . The new sets also have way better connectivity options as well .

My fathers ten year old 58" looks positively rubbish .

• 3 weeks later...