65" S20a & Vt20a - When?

Why not get a 100" projector screen?

If it's a dedicated HT room, make sure it's dark enough to get the best from the projector picture, otherwise a LCD/plasma would be far better option...

Good point. I saw the JVC x3 (base model) demoed last Thursday and contrast levels had me salivating. It is the darkest projector black I have ever seen.

The demo was Avatar and the space ship travelling through space was amazing. The sky looked black not dark grey.

I have been reading up on the x9 which is the flagship model as well as the x7 .

The X3 did not dissapoint truly razor sharp image with plasma like colour vividness.

I'll challenge the learned Owen who has been critical (and rightfully so) of black levels from projectors to go to a demo of the JVC X series preferably the X9 but

the X3 should still impress.

Edited by Crist

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CRT projectors have offered absolute blacks for many years, long before the Pioneer Kuro offered anything even close. However the problem with front projection is that the room must be totally dark or the black level of the worlds best projectors will be shot to hell, and that’s just not practical most of the time.

Rear projection does not suffer that problem, blacks can be maintained under significant ambient light even better than with Plasma screens.

There are signs that my 70” SXRD is starting to die, so I may have to look for a replaceable in the not too distant future. A 65” Plasma is not going to cut it, nor is a 70” LCD. I am considering a JVC projector like the X3 or X7 to use in conjunction with the screen removed from the SXRD in a custom made rear projection configuration, that will provide much better blacks and contrast than front projection and allow use in normal light without picture degradation.

There are signs that my 70” SXRD is starting to die, so I may have to look for a replaceable in the not too distant future. A 65” Plasma is not going to cut it, nor is a 70” LCD. I am considering a JVC projector like the X3 or X7 to use in conjunction with the screen removed from the SXRD in a custom made rear projection configuration, that will provide much better blacks and contrast than front projection and allow use in normal light without picture degradation.

Wow I would serously be interested in how you are going to do this. This is a much more practical application than a pitch black room.

People who equate rear projection with dull blurry images need to get up to speed.

This shows how tolerant rear projection can be of ambient light with the right screen.

The main problem with rear projection is the room needed behind the screen and the cost, as high quality big rear projection screens are expensive with an 80" costing over $3000.