Anthem AV Owners Thread

Gidday,

As there doesn't seem to be an Owners Thread / Interest Thread on these products so I thought I'd start one. Jason V and I have ordered an Anthem D2V this week. What attracted me most about this Processor:

- Upgradability due to modular design.

- Audiophile Grade Analog Section

- Upsampling for all Digital/Analog Sources

- A Video Processing section that rivals most dedicated outboard units

- HQ ADC's & DAC's

- A technical support area that Owners report as being an industry benchmark

- Access to all of Paradigm's considerable technical resources

- ARC Room Correction

Hopefully I'll actually have the unit within about 2 months.

Product Link

Anthem D2V Processor

Click the "View Details" button for Downloads/Specifications/Support etc.

Full Specifications

---------------------

VIDEO SWITCHING

Bandwidth From Input To Output Jack (bypass mode for component video)

Composite And S-Video 70 MHz

Component Y 110 MHz

Pr 90 MHz

Pb 80 MHz

All analog video inputs and outputs are 75 Ω, 1.5 Vp-p.

ANALOG AUDIO

Input Impedance 20 kΩ

Output Impedance Main-RCA 300 Ω

XLR 600 Ω

Zones 2/3 and Record 51 Ω

Rated Input 2.0 Vrms

Maximum Input 5.3 Vrms

Minimum Load 5 kΩ

Rated Output (100 KΩ Load) 2.0 Vrms

Maximum Output RCA 6.3 Vrms

XLR 12.6 Vrms

Headphone Output 100 mW into 32 Ω at 0.2% THD+N

Volume Control Range Main - 95.5 dB to +31.5 dB (in 0.5 dB increments)

Zone 2/3 and Headphone - 62.5 dB to +10.0 dB (in 1.25 dB increments)

Crosstalk (At 1 KHz) 82 dB between channels; 86 dB between inputs

XLR Pin Configuration Pin 1: Ground, Pin 2: Positive, Pin 3: Negative

DIGITAL AUDIO

Crossover High-Pass Slope (small speaker setting) 12 dB/octave (2nd order)

Low-Pass Slope (subwoofer) 24 dB/octave (4th order)

Frequency (adjustable) 25 Hz to 160 Hz (in 5 Hz increments)

Tone Control Fliter Type Shelf

Range +/- 12 dB

Bass Turnover Frequency 200 Hz

Treble Turnover Frequency 2 kHz

Analog-To-Digital Conversion S/N Ratio (At Digital Rec Output) (IEC-A Filter) 100 dB

All digital audio inputs and outputs comply with HDMI, S/PDIF or AES/EBU standards. Sample rate converter output is 24 bit/192 kHz regardless of input.

MAIN PATH (RCA AND XLR OUTPUTS)

Frequency Response And Bandwidth Analog Direct Inputs 10 Hz to 20 kHz (+0 -0.2 dB), 1 Hz to 130 kHz (+0 -3 dB)

Analog-DSP Inputs at 24/96 10 Hz to 20 kHz (+0 -0.3 dB), 2 Hz to 44.1 kHz (+0 -3 dB)

Digital Inputs at 24/96 10 Hz to 20 kHz (+0 -0.2 dB), 1 Hz to 45 kHz (+0 -3 dB)

THD+N (At Rated Input And Output) Analog Direct Inputs 0.006% (80 kHz BW)

Analog-DSP Inputs at 24/48 or 24/96 0.004% (AES17 Filter)

Digital Inputs at 24/48 or 24/96 0.004% (AES17 Filter)

IMD (CCIF At 15 KHz And 16 KHz) Analog Direct Inputs <0.001%

Analog-DSP Inputs at 24/48 0.001%

Digital Inputs at 24/48 or 24/96 0.001%

S/N Ratio (Ref. 2.0 Vrms, IEC-A Filter) Analog Direct Inputs 107 dB

Analog-DSP Inputs at 24/48 or 24/96 101 dB

Digital Inputs at 24/48 or 24/96 104 dB

ZONE 2 AND ZONE 3 PATHS

Frequency Response And Bandwidth 20 Hz to 20 kHz (+0 -0.1 dB), 3 Hz to 140 kHz (+0 -3 dB)

THD+N (At Rated Input And Output) 0.06% (80 kHz BW)

IMD (CCIF At 15 KHz And 16 KHz) 0.06%

S/N Ratio (Ref. 2.0 Vrms, IEC-A Filter) 97 dB

FM TUNER

Sensitivity 50 dB S/N 13 dBµ typical, 25 dBµ max.

IHF 10 dBµ typical, 20 dBµ max.

S/N Ratio Mono 75 dB typical, 65 dB min.

Stereo 69 dB typical, 60 dB min.

Distortion Mono 0.2% typical, 1.0% max.

Stereo 0.3% typical, 1.5% max.

Stereo Separation 40 dB typical, 25 dB min.

Alternate Channel Selectivity (+/- 400 KHz) 70 dB typical, 60 dB min.

Frequency Response 25 Hz to 15 kHz (+0 -2 dB)

AM TUNER

Sensitivity (20 DB S/N) 49 dBµ typical, 56 dBµ max.

S/N Ratio 50 dB typical, 43 dB min.

Distortion 0.7% typical, 2.0% max.

One-Signal Selectivity (+/- 10 KHz) 24 dB typical, 18 dB min.

CONTROL

Infra Red Carrier Frequency 38 kHz

Maximum 12 V Supply Current 150 mA

Maximum Emitter Current 60 mA per output

RS-232 Interface Connection DB-9F, straight-wired

Pinout (D2v side) Pin 2: Tx, Pin 3: Rx, Pin 5: Ground

Baud Rate 1200, 2400, 4800, 9600, 19200, 38400, 57600, 115200

Configuration

8 data bits, 1 stop bit, no parity bits, flow control (RTS/CTS, none)

Trigger Outputs Polarity tip positive, sleeve ground

Maximum Current at 12 VDC 300 mA between all three triggers

Sequential Delay 250 ms

POWER REQUIREMENT

Consumption Maximum 170 W

DIMENSIONS

Height 5-7/8 inches (14.9 cm) including feet;

rack-mounting: 3 rack units without feet

Width Standard version 19-1/4 inches (49 cm)

Rack-Mount version 19 inches (48.3 cm)

No-Handle version 17-1/4 inches (43.8 cm)

Depth 15-1/4 inches (38.7 cm)

Weight (unpacked) 27 lb (12.3 kg)

AVAILABLE FINISH

Black

Edited by BladeRnR

Congrats on the choice blade, sure looks like a seriously mean machine.

One thing I'd suggest re modular design and upgrades, try get an idea of cost of those, if haven already. Just that in the past anthem upgrades have been just as ridiculously priced as the based unit. Something am sure the new importer would address. Think previously the unit pretty much had to go to the states or something silly. Anyways I'd clarify, can't see why can't be done locally. But worth checking because if a major update for instance is wrth 50% of purchase cost then probably better off just trading in to update as some us owners have done when updates been to major.

A good thing though, something a lot of the 2ch brands offer. Musical fidelity for instance will bring upto spec anything they have ever sold, Audio research another brand like that, Cyrus arcam even provide model upgrades. So good to see being offEred by the av brands. Not something all get right though, integra for instance was hollow promises in the past, denon's been limited to their flagship product, and nad is probably still trying to get their head around the whole concept. Another brand is primare who's latest processor is modular as well, but unproven in track record unlike anthem here who are well regarded for it.

Look forward to seeing how you find it and be an excellent choice in your ht setup am sure :)

I like the look of this unit as a single box solution to replace my current AVR and 2ch integrated with HT bypass (both being used as pre's).

I was wondering if either of you looked seriously at the D2v's sibling the AVM 50v which seems to offer just about everything that D2v does with only a marginal drop in performance but for a significantly lower cost.

Just found the revised RRP on these units from Jason's thread. :)

Just a heads up regarding Anthem in OZ. With the change of distro in Australia it's looks like Anthem gear is close to parity with the rest of the world. Most of the new prices are about 20%-40% off the old Australian RRP. A couple of good examples.

Anthem D2v new RRP $9999

Anthem AVM 50V new RRP $6999

Anthem A5 5 x 225 new RRP $5799

PS> I would love to know just what kind of "street" pricing you guys were able to get too :hint: : PM me: :hint:

You forgot the most important detail. :)

$ ? :o

I will not be quoting prices in this thread. If you're interested in this unit I suggest you PM Jason V as I organised the Anthem D2V through him.

RRP is of course no secret - It's $9,999:00AUD.

Blade

Would want to sound good(at that price) cos it sure aint pretty.... IMO of course.

Looks like a frig'n switchboard :o

Couldn't agree with you more. In fact both Jason and I mentioned it to each other. It's certainly more function over form. But then I have no interest in aesthetics particularly when one day it will be hidden from view in a dedicated room.

Blade

I like the look of this unit as a single box solution to replace my current AVR and 2ch integrated with HT bypass (both being used as pre's).

I was wondering if either of you looked seriously at the D2v's sibling the AVM 50v which seems to offer just about everything that D2v does with only a marginal drop in performance but for a significantly lower cost.

Just found the revised RRP on these units from Jason's thread. :)

PS> I would love to know just what kind of "street" pricing you guys were able to get too :hint: : PM me: :hint:

Hi Pete,

Jason and I did speak about the Anthem AVM 50v. We discussed the Pro/Cons as I did with the distributor. The extra $$$ spent on the Anthem D2V do genuinely go toward much higher quality internals (CAPS, OP amps etc). I did consider the AVM 50v as an alternative but I know myself and would always be saying "What if I had bought the D2V"?

There's a n excellent post by the resident Anthem expert over on AVS Forum (Bob Pariseau) that discusses this very question in detail:

Anthem D2V vs AVM 50v - differences

I have read in many reviews bang for buck nothing comes near the Anthem AVM 50v.

I suggest if you're interested in the Anthem D2V or Anthem AVM 50v you PM Jason. As mentioned I will not be discussing pricing here nor via PM.

Cheers

Blade

Edited by BladeRnR

Congrats on the choice blade, sure looks like a seriously mean machine.

One thing I'd suggest re modular design and upgrades, try get an idea of cost of those, if haven already. Just that in the past anthem upgrades have been just as ridiculously priced as the based unit. Something am sure the new importer would address. Think previously the unit pretty much had to go to the states or something silly. Anyways I'd clarify, can't see why can't be done locally. But worth checking because if a major update for instance is wrth 50% of purchase cost then probably better off just trading in to update as some us owners have done when updates been to major.

A good thing though, something a lot of the 2ch brands offer. Musical fidelity for instance will bring upto spec anything they have ever sold, Audio research another brand like that, Cyrus arcam even provide model upgrades. So good to see being offEred by the av brands. Not something all get right though, integra for instance was hollow promises in the past, denon's been limited to their flagship product, and nad is probably still trying to get their head around the whole concept. Another brand is primare who's latest processor is modular as well, but unproven in track record unlike anthem here who are well regarded for it.

Look forward to seeing how you find it and be an excellent choice in your ht setup am sure :)

All excellent points Al. Not sure how much the Upgrades would be but then that would be highly dependant upon what they actually were. The D2 > D2V Upgrade was very costly as it added HD Codecs and the whole Video Switching/Upscaling component to the internals. I was thinking more along the lines of say HDMI upgrades or new HD Codec Support which I would think wouldn't be that costly. I'll ask the Distributor how Australian buyers go about upgrades if/when they happen so yes - a very good point there mate.

Apparently the Analog section of the Anthem D2V is sublime so for guys like (...), yourself, Spearmint, Gior and Dantan I think a good demonstration will be in order when the time comes!

Cheers

Blade

All excellent points Al. Not sure how much the Upgrades would be but then that would be highly dependant upon what they actually were. The D2 > D2V Upgrade was very costly as it added HD Codecs and the whole Video Switching/Upscaling component to the internals. I was thinking more along the lines of say HDMI upgrades or new HD Codec Support which I would think wouldn't be that costly. I'll ask the Distributor how Australian buyers go about upgrades if/when they happen so yes - a very good point there mate.

Apparently the Analog section of the Anthem D2V is sublime so for guys like (...), yourself, Spearmint, Gior and Dantan I think a good demonstration will be in order when the time comes!

Cheers

Blade

*sigh* I was looking at one of them already to go along with next year's additional Seaton purchases. I think in future, Blade, I'm just gonna check your sig for what I should buy rather than going looking around avsforum and the like. It'd save me a lot of time.

I think I goes without saying that I'm eagerly awaiting your opinion on the D2V switchboard processor. In fact, would love to have a listen to the setup when you've got it going with your Seaton goodies given I'm pretty much going to end up with much the same gear.

*sigh* I was looking at one of them already to go along with next year's additional Seaton purchases. I think in future, Blade, I'm just gonna check your sig for what I should buy rather than going looking around avsforum and the like. It'd save me a lot of time.

I think I goes without saying that I'm eagerly awaiting your opinion on the D2V switchboard processor. In fact, would love to have a listen to the setup when you've got it going with your Seaton goodies given I'm pretty much going to end up with much the same gear.

Thanks for the compliment Milka! If for nothing else I spend a lot of time on research so I dare say my choices won't steer you wrong although personal due diligence is still important.

Once everything is done yes - a GTG is certain.

Blade

Congratulations blade, no doubt a very worthy addition to the brilliant set-up you have carefully put together. Look forward to reading yours and jasonv's comments on it.

Btw, did the distributor mention which retailers will be carrying these?

Congratulations blade, no doubt a very worthy addition to the brilliant set-up you have carefully put together. Look forward to reading yours and jasonv's comments on it.

Btw, did the distributor mention which retailers will be carrying these?

Nice to hear from you Diss.

Jason MAY be posting some pictures of his Anthem D2V at some stage as the Distributor was bringing it over for him today I believe. It should certainly be a cracker of a processor.

I believe the Distributors so far (That I know of) are Audio Trends, Tivoli Hi-Fi & Frankston Hi-Fi (Who have been Anthem dealers long before this anyway).

Cheers

Blade

Edited by BladeRnR

Another very positive review of the Anthem D2V:

http://www.soundstage.com/editrl/edit130.htm

WARNING!!!

This article will convince you that the D2V is good value. :(

It's good knowing that it's one of the best bits of kit available for enabling fantastic home theatre AND 2 channel. This level of processing with Seaton's active goodness is a damn fine combination.

Just wish they'd chuck HDMI 1.4 into the mix. I care not at all for 3d blurays, but it'd be nice to have.

Nice to hear from you Diss.

Jason MAY be posting some pictures of his Anthem D2V at some stage as the Distributor was bringing it over for him today I believe. It should certainly be a cracker of a processor.

I believe the Distributors so far (That I know of) are Audio Trends, Tivoli Hi-Fi & Frankston Hi-Fi (Who have been Anthem dealers long before this anyway).

Cheers

Blade

SoundAir is a other one you can add to the list.

WARNING!!!

This article will convince you that the D2V is good value. :(

It's good knowing that it's one of the best bits of kit available for enabling fantastic home theatre AND 2 channel. This level of processing with Seaton's active goodness is a damn fine combination.

Just wish they'd chuck HDMI 1.4 into the mix. I care not at all for 3d blurays, but it'd be nice to have.

I'm sure that HDMI 1.4 implementation will be soon on its way and a modular upgrade will be available for the D2V.

I have been a fan of the Anthem D2V ever since I read several reviews about it months ago. I even enquired about its price from Anthem's distributor over East and they said they could deliver one to my door-step for $14,000.00 (which is way above my budget). However, thanks to a change in distributorship and subsequent RRP reduction, it is certainly on my radar.

Dan.

SoundAir is a other one you can add to the list.

Wow I didn't even know they were still around! A visit to SoundAir back in the late 80's was the very first time I had ever seen a Projector running - a massive BARCO unit worth (back in the day) about $80,000 (CRT).

The very first movie I experienced on that Projector was Bladerunner and I have never been the same since :). After that I purchased my first system from SoundAir Yamaha DSP-A1000 "Pro-Logic" Receiver, Infinity Speakers, Yamaha Subwoofer (YMP-120 I think it was) and Yamaha Laserdisc Player. Top Gun, Bladerunner, Alien, Aliens & Terminator 2 were my first disks too. Good memories indeed.

Cheers

Blade

I'm sure that HDMI 1.4 implementation will be soon on its way and a modular upgrade will be available for the D2V.

Given I won't be pulling the trigger on something like this for another 12 months, then that should work out very nicely!

When Al mentioned that Blade it resonated with me as the 11a was sent to Wavetrain for a new hdmi board upgrade from 1.3 to 1.3a so definately worth checking to avoid a trip back to canada ;) I imagine you will be ok with the new distributor though .

I thought the gold buttons on the black background looked classy fwiw ; in the eye of the beholder I spose :) The big curve at the bottom reminded me of previous harman kardon a bit ; nice . I had a thought that this thread may be inclusive off avm50 owners as well as its gui/ operating system etc is similar ? anyway just a thought . I can see an anthem groupbuy in the future ; ok too soon :D

Cheers

Blade

You guys know i'm new to the world of HT so can you please explain to me why you all use analog and get excited about it? I thought it was old technology and slowly becoming obsolete? Isn't HDMI the best way to connect a denon universal player for example.

Edited by sero