• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wondering if this was cash or interest free

Negotiation consisted of "mate of a mate" and was $399 cheaper than the "red dot special" sticker on the tv. wife reckons it is too big but I'm happy with it.

To answer your question. straight on Visa. Could've save another 400 odd and dropped to the 50...

The buzzing is finally resolved. In my case anyway. Harvey Norman Nunawading kept true to their promise to replace my 54V20A if the repairer could not fix it. They replaced the TV yesterday and I can now safely say that the buzzing is gone. You have to listen very hard, on mute at night time, to hear the slightest sound, something which I am happy to put down to normal operating noise. This is a 99% improvement to the sound I used to put up with. Very happy with Harvey Norman Nunawading (Chris) after sales service.

Anyone have a quite loud lower frequency buzzing, starts about 30 seconds to a minute after first turned on and runs for about 8 to 10 minutes before fading away to pretty much nothing (a very acceptable level). Tele is less than a week old and has done it since new. The volume of the buzz makes it quite audible over normal listening levels (of the Yamaha surround sound system) and even when in the next room.

Also have noticed the sensitivty of the didgital receiver is not real flash. My old setup was a Panasonic analogue tele with an old Topfield SD STB. Antenna lead came into old analogue Panasonic HDD/DVD recorder, then looped out to the SD STB, then looped out to the old Analogue tele. All channels were receivbed in digital format on the STB OK. WIN was not perfect, but was always watchable.

Plugged the new tele in and could not receive any of the Nine/WIN channels at all on it (directly). Ended up bypassing everything with the antenna cable and going directly to the TH-P54V20A from the wall. Now can receive Nine/WIN, but picture quality is quite poor and drops out regularly (and says Bad Quality whenever you switch to Nine)

Edited by Seacomms

Yeah i found normal a bit dark aswell, I just bumped the contrast setting up to around 70-ish on the normal mode and it looks pretty good without it seeming like the panel is being overdriven and sucking down the juice like it kind of feels like on dynamic mode.

The buzzing isn't bothering me anymore, i can only hear it with the panel muted and my ear stuck around the side of the set now, no longer from the seating position at all that i've noticed in the last couple of weeks. So i'm pretty much convinced that whatever components were causing it have worn in and settled down to produce a more normal noise level.

If it remains like this i'll be pretty happy with it. Watched a bit of Avatar (first bluray) on it the other night, well impressed.. just ordered BBC Life & Planet Earth bluray box set and can't wait to see how Life looks on it.

Had some trouble playing a high def M4V file over component cable last night, motion wasn't smooth and had some ( horizontal line / refreshing / interlace ?) issues.. but i doubt it's the TV as everything else plays fine. Will be trying a new video card with hdmi in the near future, i think that will solve it.

I still notice some flicker, probably just 50hz TV broadcast that i didn't notice on my CRT? It's noticeable when the program guide is displayed tho.. there's also grainy stuff moving around in the background especially if you're a bit close to the screen, is that all fairly normal ?

Just wondering if this was cash or interest free

I picked up the 54V20a from Myers for an even 2K today in the Melbourne CBD

I'd mentioned that others had gotten 20% off from HN, and the $2K price mentioned here earlier, and the deal was struck quickly. I think he rightly judged that I wasn't hell bent on buying immediately so he made an attractive offer.

TV Manfacture Date is May 2010. Perfect for first day then got the dreaded buzz.

The buzz is so loud I can hear it up to 7 meters from the TV. It is so loud I can hear it

over the Fish Tank Filter.

Bing Lee said that they will replace set. Good news but how do you stand if the second

set also has a buzz?

I still notice some flicker, probably just 50hz TV broadcast that i didn't notice on my CRT? It's noticeable when the program guide is displayed tho.. there's also grainy stuff moving around in the background especially if you're a bit close to the screen, is that all fairly normal ?

Yeah that's pixel flicker i have the VT20 and it does it, apparently alot of panasonic tv's do it.

Does the Pannas have the Judde feature that the Sammys do?

Not really, they have Intelligent Frame Creation which improves motion resolution from 900 lines to 1080 lines, but I'm pretty sure it's only for 1:1 cadence material (which is good imo, other cadences should be left alone). Then theres the "24p smooth film" option which I believe does interpolate 24 frames to 48 frames, giving it the "soap opera" effect (although I'm not 100% sure on this as I haven't tested it out, currently waiting on delivery of a 54V20).

Pneu, i haven't noticed any issues with the black levels so far, pretty happy in that department.. just hoping it stays this good for a long time.

I've not gone looking for problems like that though, didn't want to ruin the experience by picking out faults that I wouldn't otherwise have noticed..

It's worth noting that i mainly watch in a dimly lit room, and i've been using normal mode with a contrast boost to about 70, not the cinema modes.. when i change to those modes it looks discoloured to me.. probably relative though.

The only thing that's bugging me at this point is subtle flickering, it's not just TV broadcast i've realised now that i've got some blurays to watch - bbc earth (1080i) and bbc life (1080p). In some scenes (slowly panning wide angle scenery shots mainly), i get distracted from being immersed in the viewing experience by flicker. I'm trying to ignore it, and it's really only certain types of scenes where it's noticeable, but i'm left wondering whether i can improve it via settings, or if it is just part of the plasma deal.

Having never owned a plasma or lcd before (other than a pair of dell u2410 pc monitors), i'm still sort of working out what i can improve on versus what i just need to get used to..

I am keen on the Sammy but I am checking out the pana too now. May I ask why you picked the Pana?

Well, I really liked the Samsung 58C7000 but didnt end up getting it because:

1. black level is not as good (at least, initially)

2. ~100ms input lag (game mode picture quality is unacceptable to me)

3. complaints of buzzing, retailer said they had a few come back.

Also the sammy was $400 more and I am already pushing my budget with the 54" panasonic.

It's worth noting that i mainly watch in a dimly lit room, and i've been using normal mode with a contrast boost to about 70, not the cinema modes.. when i change to those modes it looks discoloured to me.. probably relative though.

Why not try True Cinema or Pro mode? They are both the same mode actually (THX) and are very accurate in terms of colour. Try Contrast 100 and Gamma 2.4. Might need a small boost in colour luminance too (the Colour control) but I won't know until I get the colour meter on mine. Typically the panasonics have been lacking colour luminance in Cinema modes.

In some scenes (slowly panning wide angle scenery shots mainly), i get distracted from being immersed in the viewing experience by flicker.

If it's only flickering/juddering on panning shots then what you are seeing is just the normal effect of camera capturing at low framerate (25fps). That's honestly how it's supposed to look, if you look at a CRT you will see the same thing. I'm personally not bothered by it because that's how it's always looked. Smoothing it out by adding artificial frames just looks unnatural to me.

For me the goal is to get the TV producing the image exactly as it was intended to be seen. If I can achieve that to a high degree of accuracy without any deficiencies then I will be happy.

They are both the same mode actually (THX) and are very accurate in terms of colour.

^

Actually this is wrong, I've just remembered the True Cinema and Pro modes have the white balance locked to factory default Warm setting, which is usually a bit off white. If the image looks a bit tinted yellow or reddish in those modes then the only way to correct it is with a colour meter. Alternatively you can try raising the White Balance Blue-Gain control til it looks satisfactory to you.

Edited by pneu

Just set up my new 50v20a and when i access the media server it picks up my laptop but when i select it it reads "connection to the server failed".

I have rung panasonic and my isp with no help forth coming. Any suggestions?

Besides this issue I love the tv and got for a bargin at $1700 including an extra 4 years warranty, hdmi and delivery from domayne auburn.

I've just noiced the pana website says the 54v20 doesn't have a swivel stand. Is this correct - no swivel on the 54v20? Kind of disappointed if it is, I was really looking forward to achieving direct viewing in any seating position...

I've just noiced the pana website says the 54v20 doesn't have a swivel stand. Is this correct - no swivel on the 54v20? Kind of disappointed if it is, I was really looking forward to achieving direct viewing in any seating position...

54v20 has a different stand from 50v20 and it looks solid.

don't know if can swivel or not but it won't bother me.

The 54v20 does not have a swivel stand. No issue for me as mine is wall mounted.

No swivel on the 54" and promo for this set starts in a couple of weeks