Hi, I've just purchase the 54V20a yesterday and wanted to find out how to check the panel hours on the set. Got it for $1700 from JB, matched the overclockers.com.au receipt.

After googling the model all I could find was...

"hold down the - volume button on the side panel, then press 0 three times."

But, this doesn't seem to work.

Any ideas on how to get to the service menu?

TIA

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Presumably this applies to the entire 2010 Panasonic range, so if you are sensitive to such automatic brightness adjustments, then I would advise against these TV's. It is virtually impossible to see this effect on the show room floor due to the ambient lighting. It is only noticeable when viewing in a dimly lit environment.

I have read that this does not happen on the VT series.

Hi, I've just purchase the 54V20a yesterday and wanted to find out how to check the panel hours on the set. Got it for $1700 from JB, matched the overclockers.com.au receipt.

sorry don't know how to get into service menu...

but curious about your purchasing...did that price $1700 include any warranty or not?

thanks.

sorry don't know how to get into service menu...

but curious about your purchasing...did that price $1700 include any warranty or not?

thanks.

See:

http://www.overclockers.com.au/pix/index.p...ge&id=go8se

I used the above to get the price down. alot of people are trying this too!

Warranty was extra.

Awesome TV, way better than the 4 Samsung POS that I had (3 * UA55C7000 - back light bleed & 1 * PS58C7000 - 2 dead cells/pixels).

Edited by myarken

Awesome TV, way better than the 4 Samsung POS that I had (3 * UA55C7000 - back light bleed & 1 * PS58C7000 - 2 dead cells/pixels).

Wait, you're saying the 58C7000 was a POS because it had 2 dead pixels? Or did you just prefer the picture quality on the 54V20? I had the 54V20 and wasn't that impressed with the picture, skin tones were way off even in Pro mode, SD upscaling was softened (despite what the reviews said) and of course the black level float.

Wait, you're saying the 58C7000 was a POS because it had 2 dead pixels? Or did you just prefer the picture quality on the 54V20? I had the 54V20 and wasn't that impressed with the picture, skin tones were way off even in Pro mode, SD upscaling was softened (despite what the reviews said) and of course the black level float.

It had two dead pixel/cells and it had an annoying buzzing noise. Even from 3m away with the sound set to '10'.

With what part of the screen actually worked, it did look very nice. Agreed. Blacks were light years (pardon the pun :) ) better than LED.

I actually have a UA46B6000. And it is a great TV. But, when I spend $4800 on UA55C7000. I expect it to work correctly.

But, Sammy for $3000 (PS58C7000)vs Pana for $1700. The Pana won hands down. I also want nothing to do with Samsung, they're customer service is an absolute nightmare to deal with. Am writing a complaint letter to them and to ACA, Consumer Affairs etc. The support line was like ringing a hotline with a bunch of 6yr old kids. They don't care about the customer. They're useless.

I only took the plasma swap over as otherwise it would have been a 6 week wait for a cheque from Samsung. But, ended up getting a complete refund.

I'm a Panasonic convert now. Much better quality tuner picks up. I know Samsung had a 'supposed' better PVR. but, it was 'clunky'. The Panasonic 'record to USB' is very simple but, it works alot better, just miss the scheduled recording bit.

I never used the 3D anyway, waste of money IMO. Thanks to Samsung, I made $300 for the bonus 3d BluRay player and another $300 for 4 sets of glasses I sold on ebay. I little compensation for the crap they put me through.

I feel sorry for people that have to ring Samsung's support line. I made a diary up of the whole event... the errors made were even comical.

I wasted a heap of phone calls, fuel, time etc etc in doing all of this, I'd had enough of Samsung's crap in the end.

Edited by myarken

It had two dead pixel/cells and it had an annoying buzzing noise. Even from 3m away with the sound set to '10'.

If it was buzzing then that is unacceptable and the retailer should've exchanged it for another one...but obviously that's not always possible especially if you already returned 3 other sets (not that I'm saying it's your fault). I've had 1 panasonic with 6 dead pixels and another with 3 dead pixels, they are not immune to them either.

But, Sammy for $3000 (PS58C7000)vs Pana for $1700. The Pana won hands down.

Fyi the 58C7000 has been going for $2399.

I also want nothing to do with Samsung, they're customer service is an absolute nightmare to deal with. Am writing a complaint letter to them and to ACA, Consumer Affairs etc. The support line was like ringing a hotline with a bunch of 6yr old kids. They don't care about the customer. They're useless.

Interesting, I have a similar experience with Panasonic customer service. I've had many phone calls & emails with them regarding the black level problems with their TV's but they just refuse to admit anything is wrong or fix anything. Even when their repair agent offers to fix a problem Panasonic step in and say not to do anything because in their mind there is nothing wrong with their TV's.

I only took the plasma swap over as otherwise it would have been a 6 week wait for a cheque from Samsung. But, ended up getting a complete refund.

Understandable.

If it was buzzing then that is unacceptable and the retailer should've exchanged it for another one...but obviously that's not always possible especially if you already returned 3 other sets (not that I'm saying it's your fault). I've had 1 panasonic with 6 dead pixels and another with 3 dead pixels, they are not immune to them either.

Fyi the 58C7000 has been going for $2399.

Interesting, I have a similar experience with Panasonic customer service. I've had many phone calls & emails with them regarding the black level problems with their TV's but they just refuse to admit anything is wrong or fix anything. Even when their repair agent offers to fix a problem Panasonic step in and say not to do anything because in their mind there is nothing wrong with their TV's.

Understandable.

Wow, that's cheap. It was the cheapest I could get it at $2999. Beginning of august. Everywhere else was $3100 or more. Where was that from?

I suppose it's the same old story these days.... where has the customer service gone? People don't care anymore. It's all about the shareholders making more money.... using cheaper parts. I feel a little better knowing the 54v20a is made in Japan... Nothing is perfect though... I've only had it for 3 days. time will tell. So far, I'm very happy with it. My wife is also happier that the TV saga is over. :rolleyes:

Anyone find out the Service Menu details for th-P54v20a ? just wanting to find out the panel hours. Have emailed panasonic but, no reply as yet.

Same as 2009 models: hold volume minus on side panel, press info three times on remote, wait for service menu to come up, press 2, you should see "SRV-TOOL" on the screen, press OK, use arrow keys to highlight bottom right hand box, press and hold mute until it comes up.

Same as 2009 models: hold volume minus on side panel, press info three times on remote, wait for service menu to come up, press 2, you should see "SRV-TOOL" on the screen, press OK, use arrow keys to highlight bottom right hand box, press and hold mute until it comes up.

I sent an email to Panasonic, asking about it and naturally as I expected. We don't give out this to customers only service people, as it voids warranty. Thanks. I'll try it out.

Thanks, that worked !..... it's a new one!

No worries :) But, just to be annoying, there is another part of the service menu (memory editor - top right box) where you can change the clock data.

No worries :) But, just to be annoying, there is another part of the service menu (memory editor - top right box) where you can change the clock data.

Thanks, just my luck, they've probably reset it back to zero. lol

Hi !

Yesterday I went to JB (VIC) with the printed $1700 receipt. Got the TV without the extended warranty for $1800.

However was told that if I take the 3 years extended warranty I would get it for $1700.

I thisk the price is OK - kind of expected that thay make money of extended warranty as well.

CJ

Why can't I choose 1920x1080p resolution when I connect the THP50V20A to my computer?!

:(

You can, you just have to use HDMI. For some reason the TV's VGA input can't handle very high resolutions.

I thought VGA had limited resolution capabilities which is why computer screens started to go to DVI (HDMI without sound)?

Nar, my $30 POS video card can do 2048x1536 over VGA (RGBHV). I think Panasonic is just being stingy.

Gents

i am having trouble with trying to get the TV to read my portable hard drives it asks me to format the drive and rename it which i did. I put some movies on the hard drive but the TV doesnt detect that there is naything on the hard drive. can someone help as i cant figure it out

You cant "put" movies on the hard drive, its only for recording from the television directly. As in for live TV pause or record now watch later (although the tele has to be switched on and on the channel you want to record so its really not that good for that).

It will not read any other format video files, in fact, it wont even read panasonic format video files recorded on a different panasonic tele, even the identical model. Apparently it codes the recording somehow with the tele's serial number or something like that to avoid any copyright issues as they can not be shared/sold/traded etc.

Edited by Seacomms

So far can't get anywhere near the prices mentioned here. Had a salesman at HN in brissy try to tell me their "cost price" was $2100 and he could do it for that. Fortunately time is on my side... I'll wait. Pretty impressive panel in my opinion.

So far can't get anywhere near the prices mentioned here. Had a salesman at HN in brissy try to tell me their "cost price" was $2100 and he could do it for that. Fortunately time is on my side... I'll wait. Pretty impressive panel in my opinion.

Tried anywhere else other than HN ? That Cost price is BS... Print of the overclockers receipt and try again.

Sorry if this has been asked before, a friend of mine who owns this set was wondering if there's a recall button as in switching back to the previous channel you were watching back and forth from say 90 to channel 22 without having to go up and down on the remote. I told them to read the manual too lazy though :)

thanks!

I managed to get the above price in Adelaide from JB without any effort at all - tried Myers, HN and Radio Rentals but none would match it despite their advertising.

TV came with 2 ferrite cores to put on the ethernet flylead that you need to connect up the (not particularly useful) internet connection and for links to media servers. Unfortunately my cat6 flylead won't fit in them. Does anyone know what they are meant to do - are they intended to counter interference? Everything seems to work OK without them installed.

Would some other owners mind telling me please, if you stick the EPG guide up and look at it from your normal viewing distance, does it look like a perfectly static image to you or does it flicker like hell ?

Trying to work out if it's just my set, have tried to ignore it / get used to it but it's not happening, TV / bluray source doesn't matter, any bright-ish scene has a noticeable and distracting flicker to my eyes.

Would some other owners mind telling me please, if you stick the EPG guide up and look at it from your normal viewing distance, does it look like a perfectly static image to you or does it flicker like hell ?

Trying to work out if it's just my set, have tried to ignore it / get used to it but it's not happening, TV / bluray source doesn't matter, any bright-ish scene has a noticeable and distracting flicker to my eyes.

Mine has only been home for a few days but I don't see even the slightest evidence of flicker when I look at the EPG. Just using the standard picture settings at present.

Ok thanks, anyone else..? Maybe watch it for a few days under different circumstances and tell me if you end up noticing it ?

If a few people tell me there 54v20's have no noticeable flicker i'll get a tech to come and look at mine, because it's quite noticeable on mine, not happy with it.

Some people don’t notice flicker on Plasmas while others do on the exact same TV, it all comes down to the individual’s eye – brain perception.

Plasmas by nature flicker and I see it on most models but it’s usually not bad enough to bother me. Of the sets I have looked at lately the VT20 had the worst flicker but the picture was set very bright which makes flicker more noticeable.

If you are susceptible to flicker LCD is the solution, LCD cant flicker.

Some people don’t notice flicker on Plasmas while others do on the exact same TV, it all comes down to the individual’s eye – brain perception.
This is very true.

Recently I watched a squash final being played on a glass backed court. I was seated high up. The ball strobed for my eyesight whenever it was moving fast, and particularly when moving across rather than up and down the court. The lighting over the court consisted of about 9 sets of twin fluorescent tubes, such as are commonplace in offices.

I spoke to several people about it on the night, including an ex world top 10 player, and none of them had noticed the strobing of the squash ball on that court. This reinforces my impression I am more sensitive to flicker than the average person.

International rules about squash court lighting make reference to the need to avoid stroboscopic effects. Page 1 of a TECHNICAL INFORMATION SHEET from England Squash refers to high frequency lighting eliminating the effect:

The majority of existing courts will have the conventional twin tube 1800mm long (6ft) fittings using the 38mm diameter Argon filled 75/85W tubes. Replacement tubes and fittings for this type are available. Later fittings use the Krypton filled 1800mm 70W tubes. Fluorescent halophosphate 50HZ tubes lose their efficiency on the basis of 2% - 6% reduction in light output for every 1000 hours they are in use. ...

In order to provide a more efficient form of lighting combined with savings in running costs, typically 20% to 30%, consideration should be given to using high frequency lamps and control gear. This type of lighting works at 28000HZ (cycles per second) and completely eliminates the strobe effect.

However I am not as as sensitive to flicker as reboot. This is what he said in another thread:

I'm prone to seeing plasma flicker, but as I have said before, mainly on the Panasonic models for some reason.

I don't know what it is about Panasonic plasma's that are different to other plasma's that make it so much more visible to me.

I can walk into any store and pick them out from any distance.

I suspect that osmodiar is very sensitive to flicker and if gets a technician to inspect his set, the technician will likely not be able to notice any flickering on the TV guide.

Osmodiar, I suggest you get a friend to look at your set. If they cannot see the flicker, it is almost certainly case of your being unusually sensitive to it.

I can see a little bit of flicker on my 3D Panasonic plasma (p50vt20a) when viewing the TV Guide if I scroll down to where there are no entries. I see prominent flicker when watching live TV and engaging Intelligent Frame Creation, or watching a 24fps Blu-ray and engaging 24p Smooth Film.

Edited by MLXXX

Yeah with the EPG it's the plain grey area behind the entires that i'm noticing it in, and similarly with broadcast or source content it's the backgrounds / wide angle shots that are distracting.

Every time I notice it i'm reminded that i'm watching a screen rather than being immersed in the content. Didn't know this was a plasma issue, guess i'll have to look into led/lcd next time.