Sign in to follow this  
kawei8

Panasonic Viera Th-p54v20a

Owen i only have 29 / 30 hz options in nvidia control panel, and it only seems to allow me to select 29. It's not the newest video card in the world though, planning to upgrade soon to one with hdmi output and use that to the TV. Hopefully that will give me more options over the HZ.

I have been using Nvidia cards in my HTPC's for years and never had a problem getting 50Hz output over Componet or DVI. DVI carries the same video data as HDMI and is HDMI compatible, it just does not carry sound. All you need is a DVI to HDMI cable and to set up a custom resolution in the Nvideo drivers for 50Hz.

If you play 60Hz video you should change to 60Hz output or you will get judder, 50Hz video displayed at 60Hz will also give you judder.

60Hz is the highest frequency used for video so TV's normally don't accept anything higher as there is no need to. The display rate will depend on the TV, for 50Hz input the Panasonic should be able to use 100Hz for display.

Yeah i have pretty sensitive eyes (when my contacts are in, lol).. the flicker is only subtle, probably unreasonable to expect the image to be as solid as a PC LCD.. but i thought these TV's were 96 / 100hz capable so i figured they would handle it .. ? Now i'm thinking that's LCD tho isn't it.. these are 600hz subfield.. which is just a bullsh*t multiple of 50hz actual or something ?

LCD don't flicker at any refresh rate as there is no dimming between frames, so 15Hz looks the same as 1500Hz as far as flicker is concerned.

Sub Field Drive has nothing to do with flicker on a Plasma.

If you are very sensitive to flicker 100Hz on a Plasma is not perfect.

Edited by Owen

Hmm...

Now that promotion is over, there has been a price drop on the V20's.

Panasonic AU Plasma TVs

TH-P54V20A - now $2599 (was $2999).

You don't get nothin for nothin...

Still, happy with the BT230 especially being new to surround sound.

==============================

As for the HDMI, the 54v20 has an ARC function, especially for HDMI INPUT 2 which I have connected with my BT-230 HDMI(This has the ARC on it as well). Think of it as a connection that can travel in both ways not just one =) which is very handy indeed. Hope this helps you. Give it a try.

On another note, I found that having quality cables(component, HDMI etc...) helps reduce noise and grains on the picture.

It is my understanding that you have to make sure that the HDMI Cables ate 1.4 or above as they have the extra set of return wires. If you have older HDMI cables, you will still need the optical cable.

==============================

As for the HDMI, the 54v20 has an ARC function, especially for HDMI INPUT 2 which I have connected with my BT-230 HDMI(This has the ARC on it as well). Think of it as a connection that can travel in both ways not just one =) which is very handy indeed. Hope this helps you. Give it a try.

On another note, I found that having quality cables(component, HDMI etc...) helps reduce noise and grains on the picture.

It is my understanding that you have to make sure that the HDMI Cables ate 1.4 or above as they have the extra set of return wires. If you have older HDMI cables, you will still need the optical cable.

I am sure the picture is great but why did they have to go a ruin it by using a silver/grey bezel?

Mate of mine has the 58", quite annoying reflection off the shiny black bezel. Does not happen with silver/gray bezel.

When the BT230 arrived, I set it up and plugged HDMI cable in to port 1. I lost my TV picture for all channels except ABC and SBS. Looking at the signal strength / quality showed very good strength (8 to 10) but quality less than 1 - other than ABC and SBS. When I unplugged the HDMI cable , signal quality goes back up to 7 to 10 across the board (depending on station) and picture is fine. I plugged my AppleTV into HDMI 1 and found a significant but smaller drop in signal quality, resulting in several channels dropping out. Plugging the cable into a different HDMI port sees reception restored - as long as HDMI port 1 is empty.

Has anyone else had a problem with HDMI port 1? Solutions? SHould I be getting the Panasonic tech on the phone?

I'd be registering this with Panasonic. Sounds like the same issue that plagued their Tvs 2 years ago - Panasonic Th-42px80a No Signal On Tv, when HDMI cable is connected / on
i bought mine yesterday, all excited, wall mount the plasma, remove the wrapper of the panel and what do i see, a 2cm scratch bottom rite hand corner behind the energy rating sticker. grrrrr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52187379@N06/4804364758/

Is it a scratch or cracked glass panel?

Hi all

I have recently bought a TH-P50V20A with the free Avatar SC-BT230 home theatre offer.

Really happy with the TV except for the following glitch.

When the BT230 arrived, I set it up and plugged HDMI cable in to port 1. I lost my TV picture for all channels except ABC and SBS. Looking at the signal strength / quality showed very good strength (8 to 10) but quality less than 1 - other than ABC and SBS. When I unplugged the HDMI cable , signal quality goes back up to 7 to 10 across the board (depending on station) and picture is fine. I plugged my AppleTV into HDMI 1 and found a significant but smaller drop in signal quality, resulting in several channels dropping out. Plugging the cable into a different HDMI port sees reception restored - as long as HDMI port 1 is empty.

Has anyone else had a problem with HDMI port 1? Solutions? SHould I be getting the Panasonic tech on the phone?

======================

Try plugging in HDMI port 2... in the ARC. Does it still do the same thing? I have all my HDMI ports connected and the ARC function working.

i bought mine yesterday, all excited, wall mount the plasma, remove the wrapper of the panel and what do i see, a 2cm scratch bottom rite hand corner behind the energy rating sticker. grrrrr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52187379@N06/4804364758/

===================

Looks like a crack Plasmarulz.... did you give the shop where you got it from a call and tell them about it? Looks nasty.... return it ASAP!!!

How did you go with it?

================================================

1.3C should be fine... tested it on mine(maybe the latest C version works on it not sure with the lower versions). 1.4 has the Ethernet capability as well. I got mine updated with the 1.4 just to stay with the latest HDMI connections =)

Once you get your BT230 synchronize with the TV(HDMI port 2) all you got to do is turn the tv on and wait for like 20seconds and the BT230 speakers takes over the tv and they are both link up. Which is pretty cool. Even the TV remote says Home cinema when adjusting the tv volume... =)

All you need is a DVI to HDMI cable and to set up a custom resolution in the Nvideo drivers for 50Hz.

If you are very sensitive to flicker 100Hz on a Plasma is not perfect.

I'm due for a new video card anyway so i'll go the full hdmi route i think, then i can take care of the sound in one go. The PC source flicker is really subtle, i think it is as you describe, just the difference between plasma and LCD and me being sensitive to things like that. It doesn't bother me in that case, it's not really noticeable when playing content, just if you're looking at a static desktop image or something.

The electrical buzz from the back of the set is getting on my nerves though, i'm noticing it from my normal seating position while watching tv and movies.. during dialogue and quiet scenes, and in transitional scenes where the sound is usually faded down and the image goes from bright to dark, the change in the pitch and volume of the buzz is really obvious. (like at the end of each TV advert or movie scene changes for example).

I might be able to improve it a bit with some sound deadening foam behind the power cord input of the TV, that seems to be where it's coming from, and i think it's reflecting off the wall behind the TV and into the room making it worse.

I'd be registering this with Panasonic. Sounds like the same issue that plagued their Tvs 2 years ago - Panasonic Th-42px80a No Signal On Tv, when HDMI cable is connected / on

Is it a scratch or cracked glass panel?

its a scratch. i have rung up both panasonic and harvey norman and told me to take it bak to HN. its just a pain now to take it off wall-put it bak in box and take it bak. but has to be done.

Update....

-ARC working just fine with BT230 connected to HDMI port 2 in TV

-But after hooking up all HDMI input ports(1 & 3) in the TV I lose the ARC function...

-To get it working again, turn off TV unplug HDMI port 1 and 3 and turn tv on with just HDMI port 2 connected and ARC function works again.

-Then plug HDMI input 1 & 3, this maintains ARC function still working. Strange... seems like HDMI gets mixed up with the connections when all HDMI ports are loaded.

-Anyone else having this problem? Just a heads up. Maybe updating the tv firmware resolves this issue....

Cheers.

Will let you all know on Tuesday how I go.

=============================

All fix now Macy?

Just wondering about this electrical buzz, and how some people are noticing and some aren't, atleast not to the same degree.. how likely is it that the cleanliness of the AC power source could be partially responsible for the difference?

I've never really had any trouble with any other devices before, except for clicks and pops through sound systems when high current devices on the same circuit switch in and out - but my house has really old 3-phase electrics.. big old school tank fuses etc. I wonder if a slightly dirty supply could be making the transformer buzz harder ??

Hi

I'm surprised at some of the negative comments about Panasonic, although I'm not disputing the comments are genuine and of concern. I just want to say that I purchased the 54V20 last Sunday week from Myer, Doncaster and had it delivered on Thursday. My son helped put the stand together (easy really but a 2 person job), then we lifted the tele onto the cabinet, plugged it in, made some minor (personal) adjustments and it was up and running.

I had a Pioneer 43 plasma prior to it being water damaged early this year. I bought a Pana 37 inch lcd as a temporary replacement pending the new plasmas becoming available. I know it's 4 years or so since I bought the Pioneer but I reckon that technology has made this current Panasonic better than my old Pioneer and the Pioneer was the best plasma going around when I bought it. . I think the picture is excellent, particularly with blu ray. I know things can go pear shaped without warning but to say I am "over the moon" is an understatement. With a great sound system, this will do me for years. Cheers

Okay, I had the authorised repairer come over today. He warned me before he came that all plasmas emit an operating noise and if he finds there is no fault, I would be charged $200+ for the service call. I told him I would be happy to argue with Panasonic that this is not a normal operating noise.

He came over, turned the TV on, and said straight away that this was certainly an unreasonable noise. I'm far from being technologically minded so bear with me. He said something about plasmas having scan boards in them. One on each side. He said the one on the right hand side, the side where all the connections are, seems to be making the noise. He is ordering in a new board and will come back and replace it. He said that if this doesn't fix it he is happy to say that it cannot be fixed. Spoke to Harvey Norman today and they are happy that, if that is the case, they will replace the TV. Not sure how long the new part will take but will get back to you when it has been replaced.

The guy at Harvey Norman even suggested that if it is going to take some time to get the part, he is happy to replace the TV. Chris at Harvey Norman Nunawading, very impressed with him.

No audible buzz on my wall mounted set. I do have a separate filtered feed for the HT room. Now if only I could kick the kids off to try it out myself.

Can't help with the ARC or other connection issues as I only have a single HDMI feeding my panel - it acts purely as a display.

Just got email confirmation of dispatch of my BT-230 redemption. Hopefully just a day or two until delivery. I won't be installing it with the Panasonic but instead upstairs.

As for the bezel colour....I like it. Think it looks quite classy.

Have just detected another issue. I have run an ethernet cable from my TV to my modem/router. Have tried to set up the network. Network type set to wired, IP/DNS settings set to auto, when I run connection test is shows Network cable connection okay, but times out on Check Acquired IP Address, saying no IP address not found, check connection and settings. Any ideas??

Okay, I had the authorised repairer come over today. He warned me before he came that all plasmas emit an operating noise and if he finds there is no fault, I would be charged $200+ for the service call. I told him I would be happy to argue with Panasonic that this is not a normal operating noise.

He came over, turned the TV on, and said straight away that this was certainly an unreasonable noise. I'm far from being technologically minded so bear with me. He said something about plasmas having scan boards in them. One on each side. He said the one on the right hand side, the side where all the connections are, seems to be making the noise. He is ordering in a new board and will come back and replace it. He said that if this doesn't fix it he is happy to say that it cannot be fixed. Spoke to Harvey Norman today and they are happy that, if that is the case, they will replace the TV. Not sure how long the new part will take but will get back to you when it has been replaced.

The guy at Harvey Norman even suggested that if it is going to take some time to get the part, he is happy to replace the TV. Chris at Harvey Norman Nunawading, very impressed with him.

Thanks Macy,

I'll be ringing up Bing Lee today for either a warranty service or TV replacment.

BTW. re: ethernet issue - my TV is working ok. The BONUS SC-BT230 Panasonic Home Theatre system also has internet capabilites, so if you received it with your TV, you may want to try that to determine if its the TV or the router your using.

Cheers M8

Have just detected another issue. I have run an ethernet cable from my TV to my modem/router. Have tried to set up the network. Network type set to wired, IP/DNS settings set to auto, when I run connection test is shows Network cable connection okay, but times out on Check Acquired IP Address, saying no IP address not found, check connection and settings. Any ideas??

============================

Hi Macy setting up wired connection was simple. I just ran connection test and got all the tick. Didn't have to do much tinkering with it. Check your firewall configurations in your modem/router.

SOLVED!!!

Hey everyone, just solved my own problem...

ARC with all HDMI input connection lock and loaded

HDMI 1=Pana Bluray Recorder

HDMI 2(ARC)=BT230 HT

HDMI 3=HDDVD EP10

HDMI 4=WDTV LIVE

I ran a firmware update on the BIG guy and I'm now running version 3500(in memory)

-No problems with the ARC anymore.... works like a charm now.

-Interface is much cleaner and faster loading.

still have to play around for more to notice anything else. Also all my setting have remained intact after the firmware update.

Took about 6mins or so, just follow the screen prompt. Very simple.

Cheers!!!

He warned me before he came that all plasmas emit an operating noise and if he finds there is no fault, I would be charged $200+ for the service call.

This concerns me.. I don't want to get into a service call cost argument with panasonic/harvey norman, but i'm not happy to put up with this noise.

Do you have any way of recording the noise before they replace your board? I can record mine and upload a short clip somewhere.. would be good to know if we have the same problem.. then if yours gets successfully fixed or replaced i've got some precedence to lean back on if the service guy i end up with tries the no fault found rubbish.

I'll have to listen again, but i thought the buzz was coming roughly from the upper middle of the tv, where the power cord plugs into the back, not so much the connector area.

This concerns me.. I don't want to get into a service call cost argument with panasonic/harvey norman, but i'm not happy to put up with this noise.

Do you have any way of recording the noise before they replace your board? I can record mine and upload a short clip somewhere.. would be good to know if we have the same problem.. then if yours gets successfully fixed or replaced i've got some precedence to lean back on if the service guy i end up with tries the no fault found rubbish.

I'll have to listen again, but i thought the buzz was coming roughly from the upper middle of the tv, where the power cord plugs into the back, not so much the connector area.

Maybe use a SPL Meter from Jaycar or DSE to measure what the 'confirmed' unacceptable level of buzz is.

Has anyone managed to buy the DY-WL10 Wireless adapter locally?

RRP (inc GST) $149.99 in New Zealand.