Sign in to follow this  
kawei8

Panasonic Viera Th-p54v20a

Sounds good

I was trying to compare it to the Sammy Plasma as the 63" Sammy is just a little bit more then the 50" Pana I think

Dr.Zoidberg, please buy something. I'm feeling your pain. :lol: Patience is a virtue they say!.

Andys.

hehe, yeah it felt pretty good taking the plunge after nearly a year of research and waiting for new models.. but nobody wants the buyers remorrse!

Now i'm concerned, a pretty nasty looking storm just rolled in, and i've only got the relatively cheap surge protector type at home, which don't claim to protect against lightning.. might be too risky to plug it in tonight :( how the hell am i going to resist tho! I wonder if i can find a lighting protector at the hardware store on the way home if i leave early - any recommendations / brands to avoid ??

I want to get on tooo haha but I must not rush but I stll have this ps63c7000 in the back of my mind. I am still a tad concerned about 9 hours of super Saturday nrl and the solid static logo, I can't help it

I use belkin pureav surge boards on all my stuff

Installed mine this evening. The 50" Fujitsu it replaced was 45Kg. The Panasonic is only 65% of the weight. After a couple of tries we finally got the Panasonic up on the wall. The Fujitsu has gone onto its pedestal stand and gone upstairs to replace a 12 year-old Sony 68cm Trinitron which will be gone.

Reset my BDP-83 and HD-EX1 player to 1080p/24 auto.

Fired up the TV with Avatar and very happy with the initial results with 1080p/24.

My Media Centre PC picked up the new screen resolution but after I changed activities, and switched back promptly refused to re-detect. Damn HDMI handshaking. Will follow up later.

Update - fixed by changing PC output from 60Hz to 50Hz. Appears to be working reliably now.

Optus Digital looks the same....mostly over-compressed, low-bit rate poop but that's not what I bought the TV for for.

Flicked through the display modes - but left it on cinema. Will play more later.

Reprogrammed the Logitech Harmony and tested.

Filled in my BT-230 redemption forms - will post them off tomorrow.

Added pictures

Panasonic TH-P54V20A 54 Full HD wall mounted (Flickr)

Panasonic TH-P54V20A & Box(Flickr)

1080p/24!!(Flickr)

Fujitsu relocated upstairs(Flickr)

Edited by kiwimeat

Only just got my TV today, sitting boxed in the hallway while i'm at work :|

Now i've got the serial number i'll crank through the redemption claim asap and see how it goes.. a week would be awesome!

I'm planning on selling it anyway and getting a dedicated bluray player as i've built a nice fat receiver/speaker setup already.. keeping avatar tho, will be nice eye candy on the 54 :)

-- Also have a question, i'm guessing the answer is no - but i'm wondering if i might be able to record from the usb out on this tv to the 120gb usb hard drive in the xbox bonus.. otherwise i might be selling that too, lol.

========================

a week was a sweet wait =) plus you get a tracking number to track where it is =) Avatar is awesome on the BIG guy!!! Yihaaa!!! I've been able to record powered USB with 1 Tera Western Digital. Not sure if it works with USB 2.5 inch drives. Just make sure the USB has its own powered USB and follow the manual instructions and your good to go =)

hehe, yeah it felt pretty good taking the plunge after nearly a year of research and waiting for new models.. but nobody wants the buyers remorrse!

Now i'm concerned, a pretty nasty looking storm just rolled in, and i've only got the relatively cheap surge protector type at home, which don't claim to protect against lightning.. might be too risky to plug it in tonight :( how the hell am i going to resist tho! I wonder if i can find a lighting protector at the hardware store on the way home if i leave early - any recommendations / brands to avoid ??

======================

I use a belkin pureav on my BIG guy... =) How did you go with your set up osmo? I know it takes time... just be patient =)

I want to get on tooo haha but I must not rush but I stll have this ps63c7000 in the back of my mind. I am still a tad concerned about 9 hours of super Saturday nrl and the solid static logo, I can't help it

I use belkin pureav surge boards on all my stuff

====================

Zoidy... what static logo? Hehehe... Had mine for a whole two weeks and and still can't find a single static logo... tested in the dark and checked all over the panel... looks mighty fresh and clean to me =)

Belkin all the way!!! Anybody here uses the monster cables? HDMI, power surge etc... Wondering getting a monster HDMI cable if so what brand type such as the speed? I saw a $20 infosystem HDMI at

officeworks. I currently am using a crest HDMI cable which is about a year old. Should I? Recommendations?

Installed mine this evening. The 50" Fujitsu it replaced was 45Kg. The Panasonic is on 65% of the weight. After a couple of tried we finally got the Panasonic up on the wall. THe Fujitsu has gone onto it's pedestal stand and gone upstairs to replace a 12 year-old Sony 68cm Trinitron which will be gone.

Reset my BDP-83 and HD-EX1 player to 1080p/24 auto.

Fired up the TV with Avatar and very happy with the initial results with 1080p/24.

My Media Centre PC picked up the new screen resolution but after I changed activities, and switched back promptly refused to re-detect. Damn HDMI handshaking. Will follow up later.

Optus Digital looks the same....mostly over-compressed, low-bit rate poop but that's not what I bought the TV for for.

Flicked through the display modes - but left it on cinema. Will play more later.

Reprogrammed the Logitech Harmony and tested.

Filled in my BT-230 redemption forms - will post them off tomorrow.

Added pictures

Panasonic TH-P54V20A 54 Full HD wall mounted (Flickr)

Panasonic TH-P54V20A & Box(Flickr)

1080p/24!!(Flickr)

Fujitsu relocated upstairs(Flickr)

============================

First off... nice pics Kiwimeat. Thanks for sharing... the sony 68 looks like its walking away... hehehe.... Must have taken awhile to get the 54 up on the wall... well done though cause it looks good now.

I too am a user of the HDDVD... and what a combo the 54 Pana does. Loving every moment of it. As for PC usage, I haven't had mine set up yet. How did you go with the HDMI handshaking? Yes the

BT-230 is pretty well worth it. Nice addition and a bonus. Crank it up to 40(volume) and make some noise, volume setting goes all the way to 100 =) The box is small and nicely pack but its powerful

enough to wake the neighbours.

====================

Zoidy... what static logo? Hehehe... Had mine for a whole two weeks and and still can't find a single static logo... tested in the dark and checked all over the panel... looks mighty fresh and clean to me =)

Belkin all the way!!! Anybody here uses the monster cables? HDMI, power surge etc... Wondering getting a monster HDMI cable if so what brand type such as the speed? I saw a $20 infosystem HDMI at

officeworks. I currently am using a crest HDMI cable which is about a year old. Should I? Recommendations?

hehehe Fox Sports 2 Channel 502 on Austar when watching Rugby League on Saturday Nights it has a Solid Static Logo :( Scares Me!!

hehehe Fox Sports 2 Channel 502 on Austar when watching Rugby League on Saturday Nights it has a Solid Static Logo :( Scares Me!!

=====================================

No static here so far... knock on wood... will let you know though if it turns up. I am aware of those logos... are they pretty thick logos or faint one? I still am doing the 100hours burn in so I can crank up the contrast... =)

How did you go with your set up osmo? I know it takes time... just be patient =)

We had some pretty serious storm activity so I had most of my stuff unplugged... and I had some female company that wasn't particularly excited by the idea of unpacking and setting up a TV.. so the upshot being, it's still in the box lol.

Tonight will be a different story.. provided i can get a mate to help me lift it from the box up into place, not really something i want to risk doing on my own.

Got the day off tomorrow so i'll head out and find a decent surge protector and a digital cable for the sound into the receiver which i plum forgot to twist into the deal.

The verdict on the xbox as best as i've gathered, is that it won't behave like a standard USB storage device (despite being a computer with a hard drive and a usb port) :( Stupid microsoft.

We had some pretty serious storm activity so I had most of my stuff unplugged... and I had some female company that wasn't particularly excited by the idea of unpacking and setting up a TV.. so the upshot being, it's still in the box lol.

Tonight will be a different story.. provided i can get a mate to help me lift it from the box up into place, not really something i want to risk doing on my own.

Got the day off tomorrow so i'll head out and find a decent surge protector and a digital cable for the sound into the receiver which i plum forgot to twist into the deal.

The verdict on the xbox as best as i've gathered, is that it won't behave like a standard USB storage device (despite being a computer with a hard drive and a usb port) :( Stupid microsoft.

==============================

Thats microsoft for ya =) Dude... how could you forget the "throw in a free power surge for me and we're good to go" =)

I am sure the picture is great but why did they have to go a ruin it by using a silver/grey bezel?

=======================

its pretty much a gun metal grey. Heading on a darker level... the black one is the VT model =D

=====================================

No static here so far... knock on wood... will let you know though if it turns up. I am aware of those logos... are they pretty thick logos or faint one? I still am doing the 100hours burn in so I can crank up the contrast... =)

Solid Static Logo

Edited by DR.ZOIDBERG

Hmm...

Now that promotion is over, there has been a price drop on the V20's.

Panasonic AU Plasma TVs

TH-P54V20A - now $2599 (was $2999).

=================

no worries... at least we got the promo deal(which is $700 rrp at panas website)... =) Yihaaa!!! Just manage to get "The professional" today at JBHIFI....

will test drive it tonight with the BIG guy =) did you go over $3000 mark kiwi? Did you get a warranty deal and free power surge on yours?

Edited by kawei8

Anyone got any idea on price on these Panasonic models?

VIErA TH-P58VT20A 58" (147cm) Full-HD 3D Digital Plasma TV

VIErA TH-P65VT20A 65" (165cm) Full-HD 3D Digital Plasma TV

Anyone got any idea on price on these Panasonic models?

VIErA TH-P58VT20A 58" (147cm) Full-HD 3D Digital Plasma TV

VIErA TH-P65VT20A 65" (165cm) Full-HD 3D Digital Plasma TV

Give it a couple of months at least.

ok, the 54 is the only 3D one out correct?

Isn't the 50inch 3D also available?

I have only seen the 54 @ JB for $3**** but the 50ity might be out too.

How does this compare to the Sammy 3D Plasma? When I saw them side by side the Sammy looked loads better but that was just 2 shows, both JB.

What does everyone else think?

=================

no worries... at least we got the promo deal(which is $700 rrp at panas website)... =) Yihaaa!!! Just manage to get "The professional" today at JBHIFI....

will test drive it tonight with the BIG guy =) did you go over $3000 mark kiwi? Did you get a warranty deal and free power surge on yours?

I'm not bothered about the drop - still happy with the deal I got and more importantly very happy with the panel.

I stayed under $3K by a couple of hundred. I got the extended warranty almost halved in price to just over $200.

I didn't think to ask for a free power surge board as I have all the ones I need (same for HDMI cables - I get mine from EZYHD).

I was happy enough with the BT230 BD HT system and the Xbox 360 Elite.

Panasonic Viera Th-p54v20a isn't 3D is it?

What is the best price on the 3D ones?

Panasonic Viera Th-p54v20a isn't 3D is it?

What is the best price on the 3D ones?

Probably best to try here or here

Note not all the 3D models are actually released yet - some don't launch until September.