Panasonic Viera Th-p54v20a

Are you using a single display (the TV only), or are you in dual monitor mode?

I have been using 8800 cards via DVI-HDMI cable on my Sony TV since they where first released, they just work and work very well.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anyone has tried connecting pc to this plasma p54v20. my pc is recognising tv but nothin on the tv. i am using dvi to hdmi (tv)connection. im getting no image on tv. doing my head in, lol. have nvidia 8800gt. thanx for any help.

Could also be the boot up sequence that is not allowing the TV->PC to do the HDMI 'handshake' thing properly, so HDCP fails and you get no picture. Try turning on the TV first, then the PC. If that works, then it may only need you to cycle inputs when you want to connect the PC to re-establish HDCP.

• 4 weeks later...
I guess I'll be in the market for one of these soon as my TH-50PZ800A has a screen fault that possibly can't be fixed, but a larger size would be more desirable.

C.M

As suspected, my TH-50PZ800A is too costly to repair so a TH-P5420VA will be its replacement though I will have to wait till the end of the month for it to arrive from Panasonic.

Certainly pays to have an extended warranty on these things.

C.M

• 2 weeks later...
As suspected, my TH-50PZ800A is too costly to repair so a TH-P5420VA will be its replacement though I will have to wait till the end of the month for it to arrive from Panasonic.

Certainly pays to have an extended warranty on these things.

C.M

Enjoy CM, it's a great TV......

You cant "put" movies on the hard drive, its only for recording from the television directly. As in for live TV pause or record now watch later (although the tele has to be switched on and on the channel you want to record so its really not that good for that).

It will not read any other format video files, in fact, it wont even read panasonic format video files recorded on a different panasonic tele, even the identical model. Apparently it codes the recording somehow with the tele's serial number or something like that to avoid any copyright issues as they can not be shared/sold/traded etc.

In addition to record TV program into the hard drive, can I record other video into HD (for example, when I playback a video by DVD and watch on TV)?

Also what's the resolution of the recorded video, is it the same as what broadcast by the TV station (for example, ONE HD-1080i)?

Thanks.

In addition to record TV program into the hard drive, can I record other video into HD (for example, when I playback a video by DVD and watch on TV)?

Also what's the resolution of the recorded video, is it the same as what broadcast by the TV station (for example, ONE HD-1080i)?

Thanks.

No you can't record from other sources only DTV however you can record programs from fta while you watch other sources.

I believe its recorded in same res.

No you can't record from other sources only DTV however you can record programs from fta while you watch other sources.

So what you are saying is that the TV will continue recording FTA whilst you watch say a DVD or other source??

That's better than what I would have thought they implemented.

• 1 month later...

Not sure what Im doing first time member on a forum. Tried to start a new topic but unsuccessful. Had alook around and this was the closest topic I could find relating to my question.

Anyway a week ago I bought a Panasonic th-p50vt20a and blueray bw780 player/recorder. I mostly watch Foxtel SD and in particular sport AFL, NRL and Boxing. My question is when I watch the AFL the ball tends to blur just after being kicked and when the ball is about to land, only for about 1/2 a second but very annoying. The blurring can also be seen regularly when watching soccer after the ball has been kicked.

I went on the internet to find reviews of TVs as I am not knowledgeable on the subject and this model Panasonic got plenty of raps. I watch sport all the time and the blurring is annoying the s##t out of me.

I have tried changing settings and cables to see if that would fix the problem but no luck. I dont know what im doing so that probably doesnt help.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Not sure what Im doing first time member on a forum. Tried to start a new topic but unsuccessful. Had alook around and this was the closest topic I could find relating to my question.

Anyway a week ago I bought a Panasonic th-p50vt20a and blueray bw780 player/recorder. I mostly watch Foxtel SD and in particular sport AFL, NRL and Boxing. My question is when I watch the AFL the ball tends to blur just after being kicked and when the ball is about to land, only for about 1/2 a second but very annoying. The blurring can also be seen regularly when watching soccer after the ball has been kicked.

I went on the internet to find reviews of TVs as I am not knowledgeable on the subject and this model Panasonic got plenty of raps. I watch sport all the time and the blurring is annoying the s##t out of me.

I have tried changing settings and cables to see if that would fix the problem but no luck. I dont know what im doing so that probably doesnt help.

Have you tried turning IFC off?

Have you tried turning IFC off?

yes. IFC is off at the moment. When I switched IFC off it did improve the blur slightly. Resolution enhancer is on max at the moment, not sure if that is good or bad but it was off originally and problem was still there. I have had PNR off and on didnt seem to make a difference.

Do you have the same TV and watch AFL football?

Edited by sgt shultz

A few weeks ago I plugged my network cable back in to use VieraCAST and the picture on my P54v20A went from perfect to major motion blur on all sources other than VieraCAST.

Turned the tv off and unplugged the network cable and all was ok again.

(I'm not sure if it was a coincidence or not that this did the trick as I haven't bothered plugging it back in again)

Perhaps give that a shot if you have an ethernet cable plugged in?

I'll only bother plugging it in if I want to use VieraCAST now (very rarely used anyway)

Note: I have been using the ferrite cores on the ethernet cable since day 1, although not sure how useful they are.

Note2: All image enhancements are turned off and using Normal Picture Mode

Edited by Vortical

If you have most of the picture processing off, I'd say it's just the poor quality of the source. There's not enough data being transmitted to be able to produce clean and clear fast moving images. It's not the TV's fault. HD quality sport is truly in a different class

I am running svideo from the stu to my bluray recorder and hdmi to the TV. The picture looks a little better compared to the composite cable I was using at first. I also had a component cable hooked up from stu directly to tv but this didnt fix the problem either. I notice on the stu signal info that the signal strength was on 3 bars but the quality was mostly on 5 bars. My new tv replaced a 5-6 y.o. 42" Panasonic and I never had any probs with it.

Do any of you fellas have the same tv and watch AFL on foxtel?. Does it look like my only option is to upgrade to HD foxtel?

Thanks for help.

Edited by sgt shultz

Note that 'quality' for digital TV doesn't really mean picture quality. Analogue TV PQ gets steadily worse as the reception gets worse. Digital TV generally stays at 100% PQ as reception gets worse until what is known as the 'digital cliff' and the PQ goes to 0%.

What you're describing is fairly typical for how football looks on TV. You'll probably notice that the PQ looks relatively great when you have close ups of players. Its only when the camera pulls back and you have lots of grass that the image gets very poor (Players all get halos of pixels around them)

There are a number of factors working against your setup.

1) Foxtel SD. As mentioned this is generally very low res. With fast moving wide angle panning shots (aka football) the image transmitted can't keep up.

2) Cable type. Composite was the worse. SVideo should be ok however it would seem the cable isn't the bottleneck when using Foxtel. If you go to Foxtel HD you should find using SVideo a big step up from Composite, and Component and HDMI a step up again from SVideo.

3) TV Size. Like watching a UTube Video full screen, blowing Foxtel SD up to 54" is pushing what SD can do (That's why HD was invented really - not better picture quality on small screens, just the same picture quality on larger screens)

You might like to get a cheap HD STB and see what the PQ is like from FTA TV.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Edited by pgdownload

yes. IFC is off at the moment. When I switched IFC off it did improve the blur slightly. Resolution enhancer is on max at the moment, not sure if that is good or bad but it was off originally and problem was still there. I have had PNR off and on didnt seem to make a difference.

Do you have the same TV and watch AFL football?

I have the same TV, but I don't watch any AFL.

My suggestion would be to turn resolution enhancer to off though. I think any "feature" that "enhances" the picture normally does the opposite.

I think it's just the source being displayed on a bigger screen than you were watching before really...

As suggested I will watch some AFL on 1hd this weekend. My Blueray has hd receivers so will watch FTA through them.

I watched some basketball yesterday on 1hd but could still see the blurring. So doesnt look hopeful.

Like you said Peter, the fast moving wide angle panning shots seem to cause the blurring. The funny thing is that the blurring happens just after being kicked (for about 1/2 second) and then when the ball is about to land (again for about 1/2 second) the rest of the flight is ok.

I have also turned the resolution enhancer off.

If you're running the Foxtel box through your Bluray recorder, you are adding a further layer of decoding in the chain. Now if your bluray player upscales the svideo input, you might be getting a slightly better picture but I would not have thought better than component straight from the foxtel box to the TV?

I finally got a chance to watch the afl on 1HD yesterday. Most of the weekend I had reception problems on 1hd. I only watched about 20 mins but the picture quality was a lot better with HD. It looks like I might have to upgrade to HD Foxtel.

A couple of last questions (I hope).

If the picture is better via HD and I am recording the sports, will the recording quality be better even though I will still be recording via composite/svideo?

As mentioned above re component cable, I have 2 cables, one red,green,blue the other r/g/b with another two audio cables. Which one is better for Foxtel to TV? If it is R/G/B how do I get audio?

Thanks

For what it is worth, the settings I have found under moderate bias lighting conditions at night, and with a large black frame surround behind the panel to enhance the image, I arrived at these settings.

For DTV in 'Normal' mode at night.

Contrast = 60

Brightness = -2

Colour = 44

Sharpness = 50 (Normal)

All other settings = Off

Panel = On (of course)

These settings (at least on my panel) gave a very natural look to TV programs of good quality.

If panel buzz is a problem, a small sound trap, a small frame of sound absorbent material, fitted behind the panel will absorb it.

C.M

Edited by Tweet