• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, personally you wouldn't catch me putting my expensive, 32kg+ TV on a spinning turntable - especially as I have kids in the house!

Understandable, although I don't have kids and for such a low price I'm going to give it a try. Had a ring around and found they sell them at a local retailer, Keith Bowden Electrical, for $25.

If it's only flickering/juddering on panning shots then what you are seeing is just the normal effect of camera capturing at low framerate (25fps). That's honestly how it's supposed to look, if you look at a CRT you will see the same thing. I'm personally not bothered by it because that's how it's always looked. Smoothing it out by adding artificial frames just looks unnatural to me.

Hmm.. maybe it is just the framerate, but even when the scene has finished panning and is practically a static image i'm still noticing some flicker that i find distracting. I never noticed it on my CRT, but then i never played a bluray through it.

I got the impression (hard to tell definitively though) that the 1080i Earth discs do it more noticeably than the 1080p Life discs, not sure if the interlacing could be making a difference there?

It's the same rate of flicker that i noticed just looking at the built in tv guide though, so it's hard to conclude that it's anything other than a characteristic of the TV.. I never noticed it in store, or on any other plasma i've watched at other peoples houses etc, so i'm not sure if it's just something i've noticed after watching the same set for a few weeks, or if mine needs some tweaking or perhaps has a small fault, don't know.

It's not all that bad really but obviously it is bugging me or i wouldn't be thinking about it during viewing and on here talking about afterwards..

Just set up my new 50v20a and when i access the media server it picks up my laptop but when i select it it reads "connection to the server failed".
Is the laptop DNLA certified ie running Win7?
Just set up my new 50v20a and when i access the media server it picks up my laptop but when i select it it reads "connection to the server failed".

I have rung panasonic and my isp with no help forth coming. Any suggestions?

Besides this issue I love the tv and got for a bargin at $1700 including an extra 4 years warranty, hdmi and delivery from domayne auburn.

I had to enable media sharing in windows media player if that helps

I would just like to warn people considering buying this set that it does have a floating black level that can potentially be noticeable and/or distracting depending on what you are watching.

I found that there is a threshold of approximately 16% average picture level where the black level will approximately double. Often a dark scene will approach close to this threshold and the black level will adjust itself brighter or darker several times within the space of 10 or 20 seconds, depending on the content being displayed.

Presumably this applies to the entire 2010 Panasonic range, so if you are sensitive to such automatic brightness adjustments, then I would advise against these TV's. It is virtually impossible to see this effect on the show room floor due to the ambient lighting. It is only noticeable when viewing in a dimly lit environment.

I would just like to warn people considering buying this set that it does have a floating black level that can potentially be noticeable and/or distracting depending on what you are watching.

I found that there is a threshold of approximately 16% average picture level where the black level will approximately double. Often a dark scene will approach close to this threshold and the black level will adjust itself brighter or darker several times within the space of 10 or 20 seconds, depending on the content being displayed.

Presumably this applies to the entire 2010 Panasonic range, so if you are sensitive to such automatic brightness adjustments, then I would advise against these TV's. It is virtually impossible to see this effect on the show room floor due to the ambient lighting. It is only noticeable when viewing in a dimly lit environment.

It's not a fault though it's a feature :P:D

It's not a fault though it's a feature :P:D

Yes, and it should be said that Panasonic will not do anything about it under warranty because it's not a fault, it's just how they have been designed.

The retailer I bought mine from was nice enough to offer a return due to this problem, but I suspect a lot of retailers won't. This is why I think people need to be made aware of this problem before deciding on one of these TV's.

Edited by pneu
Yes, and it should be said that Panasonic will not do anything about it under warranty because it's not a fault, it's just how they have been designed.

The retailer I bought mine from was nice enough to offer a return due to this problem, but I suspect a lot of retailers won't. This is why I think people need to be made aware of this problem before deciding on one of these TV's.

I think a customer just has to do a bit of research before they lay the money down.Panasonic seem to have lost the plot since Pioneer went belly up.Rather than raise the bar since then they have lowered it so that Samsung is now there equal or superior.Go figure :huh:

I think a customer just has to do a bit of research before they lay the money down.Panasonic seem to have lost the plot since Pioneer went belly up.Rather than raise the bar since then they have lowered it so that Samsung is now there equal or superior.Go figure :huh:

Obviously another Lemon Ekkie? :rolleyes:

Obviously another Lemon Ekkie? :rolleyes:

Call it whatever you like :P .I remember i had an old Hitachi with those floating blacks and it was horrible,back then we didn't call them a feature we called it a fault and got the service man in to come and fix it. :D

Seems that label is the one that you like to refer to as you troll through threads :P:D

Samsung 3D plasma owner in a Panasonic thread with nothing useful to say.Who's the troll? :P I own 2 Pana plasmas myself and i guess i can count myself lucky that they dont buzz or have floating black levels.Can't hide my disapointment as a consumer with this years models though and as a consumer i have the right to tell the manufactures what i want and don't want in my next display.

Samsung 3D plasma owner in a Panasonic thread with nothing useful to say.Who's the troll? :

So WTF were you doing in the Samsung 7000 thread a few weeks ago :P ? Telling all and sundry that their sets were lemons.. As far as claiming honours as a Pana owner I have owned 5 Pana plasma's and have more than enough good experiences with all my sets.

Both my 58 and 65v10 also had a soft buzz.

Hi, I've just purchase the 54V20a yesterday and wanted to find out how to check the panel hours on the set. Got it for $1700 from JB, matched the overclockers.com.au receipt.

After googling the model all I could find was...

"hold down the - volume button on the side panel, then press 0 three times."

But, this doesn't seem to work.

Any ideas on how to get to the service menu?

TIA

I have read that this does not happen on the VT series.

Hi, I've just purchase the 54V20a yesterday and wanted to find out how to check the panel hours on the set. Got it for $1700 from JB, matched the overclockers.com.au receipt.

sorry don't know how to get into service menu...

but curious about your purchasing...did that price $1700 include any warranty or not?

thanks.

sorry don't know how to get into service menu...

but curious about your purchasing...did that price $1700 include any warranty or not?

thanks.

See:

http://www.overclockers.com.au/pix/index.p...ge&id=go8se

I used the above to get the price down. alot of people are trying this too!

Warranty was extra.

Awesome TV, way better than the 4 Samsung POS that I had (3 * UA55C7000 - back light bleed & 1 * PS58C7000 - 2 dead cells/pixels).

Edited by myarken
Awesome TV, way better than the 4 Samsung POS that I had (3 * UA55C7000 - back light bleed & 1 * PS58C7000 - 2 dead cells/pixels).

Wait, you're saying the 58C7000 was a POS because it had 2 dead pixels? Or did you just prefer the picture quality on the 54V20? I had the 54V20 and wasn't that impressed with the picture, skin tones were way off even in Pro mode, SD upscaling was softened (despite what the reviews said) and of course the black level float.

Wait, you're saying the 58C7000 was a POS because it had 2 dead pixels? Or did you just prefer the picture quality on the 54V20? I had the 54V20 and wasn't that impressed with the picture, skin tones were way off even in Pro mode, SD upscaling was softened (despite what the reviews said) and of course the black level float.

It had two dead pixel/cells and it had an annoying buzzing noise. Even from 3m away with the sound set to '10'.

With what part of the screen actually worked, it did look very nice. Agreed. Blacks were light years (pardon the pun :) ) better than LED.

I actually have a UA46B6000. And it is a great TV. But, when I spend $4800 on UA55C7000. I expect it to work correctly.

But, Sammy for $3000 (PS58C7000)vs Pana for $1700. The Pana won hands down. I also want nothing to do with Samsung, they're customer service is an absolute nightmare to deal with. Am writing a complaint letter to them and to ACA, Consumer Affairs etc. The support line was like ringing a hotline with a bunch of 6yr old kids. They don't care about the customer. They're useless.

I only took the plasma swap over as otherwise it would have been a 6 week wait for a cheque from Samsung. But, ended up getting a complete refund.

I'm a Panasonic convert now. Much better quality tuner picks up. I know Samsung had a 'supposed' better PVR. but, it was 'clunky'. The Panasonic 'record to USB' is very simple but, it works alot better, just miss the scheduled recording bit.

I never used the 3D anyway, waste of money IMO. Thanks to Samsung, I made $300 for the bonus 3d BluRay player and another $300 for 4 sets of glasses I sold on ebay. I little compensation for the crap they put me through.

I feel sorry for people that have to ring Samsung's support line. I made a diary up of the whole event... the errors made were even comical.

I wasted a heap of phone calls, fuel, time etc etc in doing all of this, I'd had enough of Samsung's crap in the end.

Edited by myarken
It had two dead pixel/cells and it had an annoying buzzing noise. Even from 3m away with the sound set to '10'.

If it was buzzing then that is unacceptable and the retailer should've exchanged it for another one...but obviously that's not always possible especially if you already returned 3 other sets (not that I'm saying it's your fault). I've had 1 panasonic with 6 dead pixels and another with 3 dead pixels, they are not immune to them either.

But, Sammy for $3000 (PS58C7000)vs Pana for $1700. The Pana won hands down.

Fyi the 58C7000 has been going for $2399.

I also want nothing to do with Samsung, they're customer service is an absolute nightmare to deal with. Am writing a complaint letter to them and to ACA, Consumer Affairs etc. The support line was like ringing a hotline with a bunch of 6yr old kids. They don't care about the customer. They're useless.

Interesting, I have a similar experience with Panasonic customer service. I've had many phone calls & emails with them regarding the black level problems with their TV's but they just refuse to admit anything is wrong or fix anything. Even when their repair agent offers to fix a problem Panasonic step in and say not to do anything because in their mind there is nothing wrong with their TV's.

I only took the plasma swap over as otherwise it would have been a 6 week wait for a cheque from Samsung. But, ended up getting a complete refund.

Understandable.

If it was buzzing then that is unacceptable and the retailer should've exchanged it for another one...but obviously that's not always possible especially if you already returned 3 other sets (not that I'm saying it's your fault). I've had 1 panasonic with 6 dead pixels and another with 3 dead pixels, they are not immune to them either.

Fyi the 58C7000 has been going for $2399.

Interesting, I have a similar experience with Panasonic customer service. I've had many phone calls & emails with them regarding the black level problems with their TV's but they just refuse to admit anything is wrong or fix anything. Even when their repair agent offers to fix a problem Panasonic step in and say not to do anything because in their mind there is nothing wrong with their TV's.

Understandable.

Wow, that's cheap. It was the cheapest I could get it at $2999. Beginning of august. Everywhere else was $3100 or more. Where was that from?

I suppose it's the same old story these days.... where has the customer service gone? People don't care anymore. It's all about the shareholders making more money.... using cheaper parts. I feel a little better knowing the 54v20a is made in Japan... Nothing is perfect though... I've only had it for 3 days. time will tell. So far, I'm very happy with it. My wife is also happier that the TV saga is over. :rolleyes: